Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > (Currently unavailable) Thorough beta reader

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Mager | 8 comments Hi there,
I'm Currently editing my own novel and in truth, reading someone else's work really inspires me.

Have you ever been somewhat disappointed by lack of comment from beta readers? Because in the past I have, and perhaps that's because I like to really get stuck in and make a lot of notes. So if you're looking for someone who's not scared to give a lot of critique, I might be able to help.

I also like to keep in touch and build a relationship if someone needs a bit more motivation or support. Or maybe that's not what you need and you just want another pair of eyes to look over your work.

Genres I read a lot: Literary fiction, Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Crime, Domestic,

Genres I'm inexperienced with: Historical Fiction, Horror, Children's literature.

On the whole I'm open to most genres, so feel free to message me details of your project and I'll get back to you.
This writing malarkey is bloody hard work so well done for whatever you've created so far!

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby | 49 comments Hello, my name is Abigail! I would love for you to check out my book.

My story "Our Father" is a 79k word suspense thriller. Here is a blurb:

Robyn Bell is an upcoming actress. With a movie finishing up and a budding romance with her best friend Jason, everything should be sunshine and rainbows. Instead it's raining secrets. In the shadows of her success, Robyn’s childhood best friend Nathaniel, is stalking her, seeking revenge for betraying him. When she bumps into him at her hotel, she panics. At the advice of her ex-boyfriend, she forms a makeshift team to fight against him. Before they can act, Nathaniel kidnaps Robyn and unlocks suppressed feelings when he brings her to Leonard Bell, her estranged father. A man who left the night of her sixth birthday is now asking for her help.

The connections they made with people in the past influenced their future. An ex-girlfriend, an old fling, a stranger, a brother, or a father. These strings of connections force the characters to relive the past and the mistakes they made along the way. Some connections were key players in the capture of Robyn, and others are the missing link to helping Robyn's father.

As a Beta Reader I would need you to check on the flow of the dialogue, are there enough descriptions, any plot holes, and how is the character voice.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for your consideration,

message 3: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Sawyer | 75 comments Hi Amy. Do you do beta readings of individual chapters?

message 4: by Djj (new)

Djj Mizzi | 7 comments Hi. I have an 82,000 medieval YA fantasy. Please message me if you're interested or e-mail me: d.j.j.mizzi@hotmail.com, or reply to this comment on this thread.

If you finish the MS all you'd need to do is fill in a short five minute survey for me. That's the only feedback I ask. It's really easy.

Anyway, here is a short synopsis: Naphtali is an ordinary boy, who lives an ordinary life as a blacksmith’s apprentice with his aunty in the city of Aldun. Naphtali hates it, he yearns for adventure. But Naphtali has no overwhelming skills, nothing that makes him stand out; there seems to be no way of escaping the mundane grip that life has on him. The Dragon Slayers are quiet and mysterious although their skills are renown throughout the land. They keep to themselves. They don’t talk about their guild. They don’t talk about their training. Torin is one of those Dragon Slayers. One night, Naphtali finds himself locked outside the city gates with his cousin Korah. Torin is also sent out that night in hunt of a dragon causing trouble in the farmlands. When the dragon attacks Naphtali, Torin watches unseen from the shadows, curious as to how the boy will handle the situation. There was nothing special in the way that Naphtali moved, nor in his fighting technique and ability; but Torin sees something in Naphtali that cannot be taught. Absolute persistence. Torin saves Naphtali, and leaves him with an offer to join the Dragon Slayers.

message 5: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Adams (tjadamsauthor) | 1 comments Hi Amy, thanks for putting it out there that you're open and willing to beta read.
My ms is a ya sci/fi novel at 90,000. I struggle to find its definitive genre to tell you the truth. It's complete but needing eyes that will tell me truly if it sucks or not.

The blurb goes like this:
Sable is a survivor. But she might be about to die.

Her life slides from bad to hell when she meets two guys. Holden is a safe bet. Jax is the greater lure.

The beginning of the end for Sable starts when Jax introduces her to Dominus, an online game, were only the best players survive. But what makes Dominus so deadly is that it’s not just a game, it’s a new reality.

Once she starts playing the game, Sable cannot turn back. She cannot unmake the choices that were made for her by the creators of the game. All she can do is move ahead and learn as best she can, for if she is to stay alive she must become the best she can be.

As the secrets of those behind Dominus unfold, Sable no longer knows whom to trust. Holden, Jax and, worst of all, her dad, are not the people she thought they were. All have played a part in puppeteering her life to this moment, to this game. Sable is forced to decide whose side she is on, which is not easy—when reality bends so does the truth.

Thanks heaps

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Anderson | 54 comments Hi, Amy.

"Wounds of the Heart" is my completed, fairly well-edited, 72,000 word Romeo and Juliet styled NA romance novel. The story is framed in group therapy sessions for convicted murderers at the Collins Street Prison in Joliet, Illinois. It is the first novel in a planned three-part series dealing with America’s unwanted youth. Based on your interest in developing relationships with other writers, I think we might be a good fit, and I would be delighted to return the favor.

Typically, my beta reads give you comments and analysis of the plot arc at the first 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and end of the novel, adequacy of characterization, setting, pace, referencing, fact checking, and a great deal of line by line comments, plus a fair amount of developmental and/or straight editing and suggested possible solutions. I always apologize in the beginning of my reports for my haystack of comments because some writers are mortally offended when you pick on their babies.

Having suffered physical, emotional, and sexual abuse by the time he was eleven, Cody Chandler has lived a life few would envy. But instead of being crushed by his experiences, he rises above his circumstance through an incredible act of sacrifice he hopes will free him from the ghosts who haunt him. When Cody is forced to examine the impact abuse has had on his life, he must decide how much of his past he can safely reveal. While revealing his deepest childhood secret might be liberating, it might also prove to be his undoing.

If you're interested, let's exchange manuscripts. I prefer Word docs with 1.5 line spacing. You can reach me and/or send yours to me at dave.anderson@wavecable.com.

All the very best,
Dave

message 7: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I have a book that is fantasy but based more in reality. You may think of it as tame in that it is low fantasy and more here on Earth. Let me know if you're interested.

I have a finished manuscript which is YA realistic fantasy which bends toward the literary side. The world is basically the same as ours. The time period is different. The society is theologically based. The protagonist is female. It is a mixture of adventure, tragedy, mystery, politics, and hope. There are supernatural elements toward the end but nothing over the top. I need to know where I have flaws, be they developmental or with the plot itself. I prefer sending the file and not copying and pasting.

Very briefly it is a book about a girl looking for her father but becomes entangled in a political conflict which may lead to war between her home country and their enemy to the south. Those living there are runaways who decided to flee south and forge their own country after facing persecution. There's some action as well with smuggling and traveling and stealing.

There is no sex, cursing, or gratuitous violence. I thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate it. If you have time and are interested, please let me know.

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Coombes | 43 comments It sounds good, but beta reading for two writers at the moment. My email is di_1965@hotmail.co.uk. if you send at the end of the week I will read it then. Send me a couple of chapters at a time.

message 9: by Jasper (new)

Jasper Whitted (notafunsucker) | 15 comments Hi Amy,
Are you still open to any new projects?

My concept:
There’s an urban legend that people born precisely at midnight experience a 25th hour in their day normal people are unaware exists and freeze during; however, contrary to what’s typical—that this extra hour is a time for unsupervised and unpunishable adventure and mischief—my spin on the myth is that the 25th hour is a curse due to violent monsters that attack anyone awake during this time each night. As a result, all Midnighters, those born at midnight who experience the 25th hour, must be taught to survive it starting at age six.

A blurb:
Quinn is an eighteen-year-old Guide who receives his assignment of a Follower, a six-year-old he is given the task of protecting and training during the 25th hour each night as is required by the Midnighters organization. All Quinn wants is to move on from a past that plagues him and find inner peace, to not look in the mirror with complete abhorrence, but when he finally begins to make progress by developing a romantic relationship, he is sucked into an escalating series of events. Quinn is left questioning if perhaps there’s something going on behind the scenes that he never knew about. He unknowingly uncovers deception, hidden motives, and a whole conspiracy he never dreamed existed, all while trying to pilot his way through emotions he’s suppressed for far too long.

Some disclosures:
The underlying theme throughout the novel is self-acceptance combined with navigating the perils of love and loss. My completed novel is the first of a science fiction-romance series I call “Midnight’s Curse”. Its specific title is, “Midnight’s Curse: The 25th Hour” and my intended audience is New Adults (late teens-mid-twenties). The book itself is 103,000 words and contains curse words, sex scenes, and violence.

If you’re interested or would like more information, please send me an email to Jwbetareads@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

message 10: by Anthony (new)

Anthony B | 4 comments Hi Amy,

If you're still interested in beta reading, I'd love for you to check out my book! The more critique the better!

Blurb:

As the daze from the fall fades, Grin sees the cave entrance high above. He made it. He’s inside the mountain. As he enters the tunnel down, Grin remembers his father’s command: “Find the man in the mountain, get his power, and help me finish the war your grandfather started.”

“Or don’t return.”

But when Grin meets Mar, the old man underground, he’s not given power. He’s given a walking stick and a task: find Mar’s son. If he can complete this rite, Mar promises him power. Power enough to help his father win his bloody war. Or power enough to stop him, should Grin finally stand against the most powerful man in Aunhem. With nowhere left to go, Grin accepts Mar’s mission. The old man marks the ground with glowing runestones, preparing a ritual, saying nothing more to aid Grin’s quest.
Grin is transported to the land of Urhem, a magical place where humans are a rarity and gods walk the earth. It’s a place where he meets all manner of creatures, friendly or otherwise. There’s Rahmi, a surly puppet who claims to be a cursed prince; the imprisoned Wishweaver who desires only freedom and revenge; the colossal Clay King, whose army of misshapen children kidnap travelers to work in his mines.

Throughout Grin’s journey he is hounded by D’jenn, a moon-masked figure who will trade anything for the walking stick Grin carries. But why is the stick so important? It thrums with hidden strength in Grin’s hands, but does little else. Who is the mysterious Mar, and how can Grin find his son? To complete his quest, Grin will employ the only asset at his disposal: an eternal supply of politeness.

THE LARK OF URHEM, complete at 143,000 words, is a departure from the grim brutality of recent fantasy. Our hero doesn’t slit every throat he finds. He just wants to help, if he can.

If you're interested, please pm me!

message 11: by Craig (new)

Craig T | 22 comments Hi Amy - I’m looking for beta readers for a mainstream contemporary literary novel about a disappointed and disillusioned man who gets a second chance he probably does not deserve.
Any interest in taking a look at it. Or possibly doing a swap?

Cheers, Craig