Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Monthly Challenge > September Challenge: I Finished!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6989 comments Mod
This thread is to mark your completion of the September challenge for the prompt: "a book that is also a play." You can join in with the group read of Hamilton: The Revolution or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:

Title:
Author:
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play?
Would you recommend?

No other posts in this thread please

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 178 comments Title: Hamilton: The Revolution

Author: Lin-Manuel Miranda

Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Absolutely, even more so after reading this book.

Would you recommend? Yes! I listened to the audiobook and it was amazing!

message 3: by Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2018 07:56AM) (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 203 comments Title: Alexander Hamilton
Author: Ron Chernow

Are your interested in seeing this book performed as a play? I have wanted to see the play for a long time, I am glad I read the book first though. I have tickets for an upcoming performance and am very excited.

Would you recommend? Yes! Chernow does an amazing job with his research and it was very interesting.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1883 comments I read Hamilton: The Revolution in 2017 for 2017 prompt book with a title that's a character's name (and because I was seeing the show again), plus I do not think it actually fits the prompt. I read:
Title: The 39 Steps
Author: John Buchan
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? I actually saw the play on Broadway a few years ago. It was incredibly entertaining, inventive, with a cast of only 4 characters filling all the rolls.
Would you recommend? yes! While the basic plot is the same as in the play and movies, as well as most locales, there are some significant changes. Plus this was written in 1914, published in 1915, and the style is quite different from how espionage is written now. In fact, this is often credited as being the first espionage novel with Buchan being the inventor of the genre.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 897 comments Title: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Author: Victor Hugo

Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Absolutely! Apparently the Disney version has only ever been performed in German but there's about a dozen other versions plus a ballet.

Would you recommend? I would definitely recommend, although I'll admit I did skim some of the chapters describing the actual cathedral because Hugo does go on a bit.

message 6: by Teri (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:30PM) (new)

Teri (teria) | 1324 comments Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl

I'm so interested that I'm seeing it next week at an outdoor theater that is about 5 hours away from my home.

Would you recommend?
I listened on audiobook, and I actually had tiny panic attacks because of how this poor child was being treated. So yes, I would recommend because it is such a great children's book that you get emotionally involved in the story.

I read Hamilton: The Revolution for the two authors prompt.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan | 334 comments Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author: Mark Haddon
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? The person who recommended the book to me also saw and recommended the play. Based on that and how much I enjoyed the book, I'd say yes to that question.
Would you recommend? Yes, I would. I really enjoyed the story and how the author told it through the lens of the main character.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 722 comments Title: Death on the Nile
Author: Agatha Christie
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes. I've seen a couple murder mystery plays and they were very engaging.
Would you recommend? Absolutely!

message 9: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Author: Gregory Maguire
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes! I am driving 6 hours to see it in June!
Would you recommend? I listened to it on audio, and did not enjoy it at all. It dragged so much. I would probably not recommend, but if I did I would say don't listen to the audio.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments SarahKat wrote: "Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes! "

Enjoy!!!! The musical is absolutely incredible!! ( I hated the book lol)

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1883 comments SarahKat wrote: "Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes! I am driving 6 ..."

Show is great! I too hated the book ... thought it mean-spirited among other things. Show is far more positive.

message 12: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 961 comments Title: The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
Author: Jim DeFede
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes. Theresa said it's good.
Would you recommend? Yes. It was very uplifting.

message 13: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 370 comments Milena wrote: "Title: The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes. Theresa said it'..."

Come From Away is so good!!

message 14: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 370 comments Megan wrote: "Title: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Author: Mark Haddon
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? The person who recommended the boo..."

The play is great, really cool staging and set design.

message 15: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 961 comments Chrissy wrote: "Milena wrote: "Title: The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes. T..."

Thank you, Chrissy. I will try to get tickets.

message 16: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1883 comments Milena wrote: "Chrissy wrote: "Milena wrote: "Title: The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
Are you interested in seeing this book performed a..."

I also highly recommend Come From Away. Incredibly uplifting and such an amazing good story from such a dark time.

message 17: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6989 comments Mod
I also read Fantastic Mr Fox for this! I didn't really like it much, BUT I do highly recommend the movie! George Clooney is Mr Fox. He is fantastic :-)

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Buley | 43 comments Title:Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
Author:Gregory Maguire

Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes, but only because I've heard so many positive things about the play itself.

Would you recommend? No, I really didn't enjoy this novel much.

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Title:The Phantom of the Opera
Author:Gaston Leroux
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? Yes! I love the music from this show, I have seen the film and the 25th anniversary concert and know the words to all the songs! Unfortunately it is one of the only shows on the West End that never seems to get cheaper. I blame the tourists!
Would you recommend?: No. I found the book to be melodramatic and silly, the characters to be annoying, and the writing style to be dry and detached. The show is much better.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments I am sad that so many people disliked Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West is one of my favourite authors! But I can see why, I love the book and the musical but they are very different from each other. I would say that the musical is more like a YA fairytale whereas the book is hard fantasy.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Title:Tuck Everlasting
Author: Natalie Babbitt
Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play: Yes!
Would you recommend: Yes! It was an interesting story. It makes you think, Would you want to live forever?

message 22: by Tracy (last edited Sep 30, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments Title:
War Horse

Author:
Michael Morpurgo

I would love to! I never realized that this was made into a stage play until I read through the topic thread. My original choice was The Phantom of the Opera. I did look on You Tube at some clips of the stage play, and also a video announcing the opening of the play ,and introducing the mechanical horse Joey. I was amazed at the work that went into making the horses, and I wish so badly I could go and see it. Unfortunately, it looks like the US run of the show ended in 2013, and it is now only being shown in the UK. So lucky to all of you living overseas from me :/

Would you recommend?
I would recommend this definitely to fans of children's lit, Black Beauty and war stories ( WWI or otherwise). I'm glad I own this on my physical shelf as my daughters will be old enough to read it soon. It did make me cry though. Definitely glad I chose to read it.

message 23: by Angie (new)

Angie | 28 comments Title: Hamilton: The Revolution

Author: Lin-Manuel Miranda;

Are you interested in seeing this book performed as a play? I will be eternally sad that I was not able to see this with the original cast, but I still would still love to see any production.

Would you recommend? Whole-heartedly!