Reading the Detectives discussion

Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery, #5)
This topic is about Sweet Danger
Albert Campion group/buddy reads > Sweet Danger by Margery Allingham - SPOILER Thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10510 comments Mod
In our Buddy Reads, we have been following a few series, and this continues our reads of Margery Allingham's Albert Campion adventures. "Sweet Danger," is the fifth in the series and was published in 1933.

Nestled along the Adriatic coastline, the kingdom of Averna has suddenly - and suspiciously - become the hottest property in Europe, and Albert Campion is given the task of recovering the long-missing proofs of ownership.

His mission takes him from the French Riviera to the sleepy village of Pontisbright, where he meets the flame-haired Amanda Fitton. Her family claim to be the rightful heirs to the principality, and insist on joining Campion's quest. Unfortunately for them, a criminal financier and his heavies are also on the trail - the clock is ticking for Campion and his cohorts to outwit the thugs and solve the mystery of Averna.

Please feel free to post spoilers in this thread.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 893 comments Just finished this delightful escapist treasure and already going into withdrawal. I'd rather be in Pontisbright still! The improbability of the whole mishmash is no detriment in my eyes; I adore the characters and the inventive situations. Realism is overrated! The whole Dr. Galley scene as the climax got under way was hilarious and sad. I want an Aunt Hett to come live at my house! And Campion's red-blooded public-school sidekicks are treasures; I especially love when the action gets so weird that they simply have no frame of reference and just goggle.

My review here, if my iPad's Paste function decides to work: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9405 comments Mod
Great review, Abigail. I’ve reviewed it too but can’t post a link on my phone. Totally agree about Albert’s bewildered friends adding to the fun of this!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 893 comments Thank you, Judy! I saw and Liked your review earlier today. I have similar copy-and-paste issues whenever I am not on my desktop. Here (here's hoping) is the link to yours: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thank you, Abigail, much appreciated.

I like the way Amanda immediately cottons on to Campion's way of working, while his friends are still clueless.

The Dr Galley storyline is quite unexpected, I think - though we did have witchcraft cropping up in one Christie book recently.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 893 comments True about Amanda, though she still has a lot to learn! She's much better at stonewalling than subtle deception. And I wonder how much sorcery she has picked up from Dr Galley! I don't recall it cropping up in future books.

Frances (francesab) | 413 comments I also really enjoyed this once I let go of my need for realism. I do wish that at some point Allingham had filled in all the gaps in our knowledge of Campion and his family and his espionage work.

I was all set to be annoyed by the early 30’s Campion becoming “involved” with the 17 year old Amanda but that was handled really well and appropriately. (Didn’t mean to get too political here but it is hard sometimes to read books from another time when so much that would trouble us now is just brushed off as normal)

I’m looking forward to watching their friendship develop in future books as she gets older.

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 847 comments Frances wrote: " (Didn’t mean to get too political here but it is hard sometimes to read books from another time when so much that would trouble us now is just brushed off as normal) "

It's also difficult for those of us from that earlier time, when so much that was normal in our youth is slated as perverted ...

Frances wrote: "I also really enjoyed this once I let go of my need for realism. I do wish that at some point Allingham had filled in all the gaps in our knowledge of Campion and his family and his espionage work...."

I think we do find out a bit more as we go on, but she enjoys keeping us guessing - doesn't want to pluck out the heart of his mystery?