Play Book Tag discussion

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #1)
This topic is about The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
August 2018: Espionage > The Unexpected Mrs Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 389 comments Mrs Pollifax is a widowed mother of two grown children. She passes her time in volunteer work for her local hospital and is bored and depressed. A chance comment by her doctor reminds her of her childhood dream so she hops on a bus to the CIA headquarters and applies to be a spy!

This is the first in a series and is the story of Mrs Pollifax's initiation into the world of espionage. Somehow she manages to retain a charming innocence and sense of justice whilst travelling the world and coming up against the traditional enemy agents. Mrs Pollifax's ability to see the best in everyone seems to humanize at least some of the bad guys, although not the worst of them.

It's also interesting to note that the enemies in this book, written in 1966, are still potentially of cause for concern today. It is dated in some ways but it doesn't detract from the gentle humour and the overall feeling that good triumphs over evil!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This sounds cute! Perhaps not as heavy and convoluted as other espionage books. I can just see her "hopping on a bus to the CIA headquarters to apply to be a spy!" lol

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Oh, I love Mrs Pollifax! I think I've read two or three of them. Fun, light reads. She's a hoot!

message 4: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 8346 comments I read all of these years ago and loved them!

A friend of mine who owned a mystery bookstore absolutely adored Mrs. Pollifax. So glad you added this one.

message 5: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments This sounds perfectly delightful, a bit like if Miss Marple decided to take up spy work.