RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2018 Genre Challenges > September'18: Humour

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

September is here and so is the month that is one of the most challenging ones of Genre Challenge - Humour. The purpose of this month's genre is that before October arrives and everyone gets busy with heavily loaded horror reads, we try to lighten the mood here at RMFAO with a month-full of light comic reads.
You can join anytime during the entire month and read as many (or as less) books as you can manage, no restrictions whatsoever!

Here is the DEFINITION for this month's genre:

Humour: Humour (spelt Humor in US English), is also known as comedy fiction. A comic/humour novel is usually a work of fiction in which the writer seeks to amuse the reader, sometimes with subtlety and as part of a carefully woven narrative, sometimes above all other considerations. It could be said that comedy fiction is literary work that aims primarily to provoke laughter, but this isn't always as obvious as it first may seem.

-->>Please Note: There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centred around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
HB: Hardback
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Note: The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.

If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.
Happy reading!

message 2: by Heena (new)

I'm going to read this one for this month: You Can Have a Dog When I'm Dead: Essays on Life at an Angle
I'm not sure if I have any other humour left with me as I read 3 in August and made the mistake of not checking September's genre first.

I'll be keeping an eye out for recommendations though.

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3578 comments Mod
First up for me will be Spoonbenders which Adelaide mentioned last month. It's an E-book which I found on Overdrive and was fortunate enough to receive a couple of days ago.

An audio of Curse of the Spellmans is on hold and I should get it around mid-month or so. I have a paperback of one of the Red Dwarf books if I get to it.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2258 comments Mod
I will be reading My Lady Jane. It's an alternate history young adult book that's supposed to have alot of humor in it. It sounds pretty good.

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 05, 2018 09:45AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I will be reading My Lady Jane. It's an alternate history young adult book that's supposed to have alot of humor in it. It sounds pretty good."

1.) My Lady Jane
Abandoned at 30 percent. This book was more "Young" than "Adult" on the YA spectrum. Younger readers might enjoy it more than I did. Only mildly amusing, and not that frequently.

message 6: by Dagny (new)

I hate when that happens, Cheryl.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Ok, this one I really liked:
2.) The Bette Davis Club by Jane Lotter

4 stars. A fun screwball comedy with heart. My review can be read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

I am having a hard time finding humorous books for this challenge. Humor differs so much from person to person. Some books I had on my list just didn't appeal to me once I started to read them. I am turning to children's books next. Hopefully one of those will work for me.

message 9: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I am having a hard time finding humorous books for this challenge. Humor differs so much from person to person. Some books I had on my list just didn't appeal to me once I started to read them. I a..."

Even I am finding it difficult to find humour reads for this month. I guess I'm going to go with the only one I have.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Heena,

Maybe next year you could try a different genre instead of Humor for the Genre Challenge? I'm not sure what you could substitute for it.

message 11: by Dagny (last edited Sep 10, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Heena,
Maybe next year you could try a different genre instead of Humor for the Genre Challenge? I'm not sure what you could substitute for it."

Heena's always up for changes! The problem is thinking/deciding on replacement - that and remembering when the time comes, lol.

It's a slow one for me also. I've started and abandoning a couple already this month. Have Curse of the Spellmans going now and unless I read one of the Red Dwarf books, that will be my only one for the month.

message 12: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 10, 2018 11:19AM) (new)

Lookng around on Goodreads, I did find a page that shows alot of genre categories here: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/list

I'll look through these lists and see if I can come up with some alternate genres to try. Dagny and Heena can look there, too.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Curse of the Spellmans (Izzy Spellman #2) by Lisa Lutz

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) I'm currently reading a Fannie Flagg book for this month's humor genre read, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!, and am enjoying it. Last month, I read Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen, which I enjoyed and I think would work for the humor genre. I haven't read any yet, but for mystery fans, I've also heard the Stephanie Plum books are pretty funny. Just a few ideas.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

I tried a couple of other books that were supposed to be funny, but they did nothing for me. I think this genre just isn't for me - at least this month.

message 16: by Adelaide (last edited Sep 11, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Adelaide Blair | 394 comments So there are a lot of nonfiction books that count as humor. David Sedaris is pretty funny (I am going to read one of those this month.). If you like Hollywood people, Mindy Kaling, Amy Poehler, and Tina Fey all have somewhat enjoyable books. (Your mileage may vary.)

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: " I haven't read any yet, but for mystery fans, I've also heard the Stephanie Plum books are pretty funny."

Yes, they are, Donna, and I suspect I read one of Evanovich's books last year for this Challenge. I'm caught up with the series or I'd be reading one this year.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) 1. I finished Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg, and enjoyed its gentle Southern humor. I don't really enjoy reading non-fiction humor, so I looked for humor in fiction, and had enjoyed Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes book. She does such a great job with creating a small-town America feeling. 4/5

message 19: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Heena,

Maybe next year you could try a different genre instead of Humor for the Genre Challenge? I'm not sure what you could substitute for it."

I up for having an alternate genre month and having another option with Humour. Replacing Humour month would kind of defeat the purpose of the challenge as it won't be very 'challenging' then. I hope I put it in a sensible way... So anyway, let's have a two genre month for September next year and keep the other genre super interesting and easy.

All the group members - Please feel free to suggest an alternate genre (a genre that we don't already do in the other months.)
We'll decide it in December, so take your time to find some new creative and interesting genres :)

message 20: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Heena's always up for changes! The problem is thinking/deciding on replacement - that and remembering when the time comes, lol.
"

Lol, yes to both. Please suggest some new/different genre that we can possibly pair with Humour. I'll try and come up with some and drop you an email by the end of this week and we can discuss further.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "All the group members - Please feel free to suggest an alternate genre (a genre that we don't already do in the other months.)
We'll decide it in December, so take your time to find some new creative and interesting genres :)  "

Thanks, Heena! And I agree that the Genre Challenge still needs to be challenging. Maybe next year there will be alot of humorous books published, and we'll have more to choose from?

message 22: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 13, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Ok, I thought of a genre: Spies (Espionage)

I know it would also fit under Thriller, but there are alot of books featuring spies to choose from and thus could be a separate genre of its own. If you want, you could even include graphic novels and non-fiction into it.

Here is a link to the Goodreads genre page for Espionage:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/espi...

And for Spy Thriller:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/spy-...

message 23: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 13, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

3.) Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls byDavid Sedaris
3 stars. Thank you, Adelaide, for the suggestion about trying this author. I had tried another book by him (Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim) that I couldn't get into, but his one I liked. I think, as far as comedy goes, I prefer a collection of short sketches as opposed to a novel-length story.

message 24: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 394 comments Cheryl wrote: "3.) Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls byDavid Sedaris
3 stars. Thank you, Adelaide, for the suggestion about trying this author. I had tried another book by him (Dress Your Family in..."

I just picked up his new one from the library. Looking forward to it.

message 25: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I read Adulthood is a Myth, been meaning to for ages, it's a quick but funny read

message 26: by Kathy (last edited Sep 13, 2018 07:26PM) (new)

Kathy  | 63 comments How about expanding the spies/espionage genre to adventure? It could include espionage, war, exploration, anything that involves physical challenge or risk in the storyline. I am having a hard time with humor. My kids say I have none!

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Kathy wrote: "How about expanding the spies/espionage genre to adventure? It could include espionage, war, exploration, anything that involves physical challenge or risk in the storyline. I am having a hard time..."

Kathy,

We already have the Adventure genre in December, paired with Fantasy. It's pretty challenging trying to come up with a genre we don't already have on the list. Can you think of anything else we could use?

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Ok, here is another Genre idea:
World Fiction (here is a link for this Goodreads genre: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/worl... )

We could make it a challenge where you'd pick fiction set in a country other than your own. You could see how many countries you can include that month.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 63 comments Cheryl wrote: "Kathy wrote: "How about expanding the spies/espionage genre to adventure? It could include espionage, war, exploration, anything that involves physical challenge or risk in the storyline. I am havi..."

Sorry, I didn't realize that! World fiction is an interesting one.

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

4.) Hit Man by Lawrence Block
3 stars. It's crime fiction, but has alot of dark humor and irony in it. Kind of like the hit man Vincent in the movie Pulp Fiction, but without the abundant use of the F-word.

message 31: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Ok, here is another Genre idea:
World Fiction (here is a link for this Goodreads genre: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/worl... )

We could make it a challenge where you'd pick fiction set in a country other than your own. You could see how many countries you can include that month."

This sounds great, Cheryl! I especially like the part about seeing how many different countries you can get for the month.

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Here's a novella which I'm enjoying so far - The Cave on Thundercloud (1912) by Mary Roberts Rinehart. It's part of her Letitia (Tish) Carberry. A later one, but the first I've read - they seem to be mainly short stories, so that's good for those that enjoy short stories.
Included in More Tish at Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19851
or audio at LibriVox https://librivox.org/the-cave-on-thun... 1:25
The description at LibriVox reads:
"Tish Carberry reluctantly takes her two best friends, Aggie and Lizzie, on a camping trip into the hills of their Midwestern American town, only to fall in with outlaws on the lam from a train robbery! Comic adventure ensues."
There are quite a few others available in the series.

Also, for some classic humorous reads, don't forget P. G. Wodehouse. Almost all of his books are humorous. Jerome K. Jerome has some good ones also.

For newer books, if you've read all the Evanovich ones, as best I recall, Joanne Fluke's mystery series is quite humorous too.

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny,

Thanks for the reminder about this older fiction at Project Gutenberg! I'll have to look there.

message 34: by Dagny (new)

You're welcome, Cheryl. I just finished the one I mentioned above, The Cave on Thundercloud. It's not great, but it's cute.

message 35: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 394 comments World fiction sounds great to me!

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

5.) Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse
3 stars. This was a novel, not a short story collection. It went on a bit long in some places, but there's alot of funny dialogue in this book.

message 37: by Dagny (new)

3. Revenge of the Spellmans (Izzy Spellman #3) by Lisa Lutz

No real mystery plot, very disjointed, but fun. More like a diary of daily events in a dysfunctional family and I like all the characters

message 38: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Ok, here is another Genre idea:
We could make it a challenge where you'd pick fiction set i..."

I love the idea of 'World Fiction' as well. I agree with Dagny, it'll be fun to see how many countries we can cover in one month!
Thanks for the idea, I think everyone loves it, so let's have it for next year :)

message 39: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "Here's a novella which I'm enjoying so far - The Cave on Thundercloud (1912) by Mary Roberts Rinehart. It's part of her Letitia (Tish) Carberry. A later one, but the first I've read - they seem to ..."

Thanks for these recs, Dagny. I can do with a short story as I have read only one book for this month so far.

message 40: by Heena (new)

#1 You Can Have a Dog When I'm Dead: Essays on Life at an Angle - 5/5

A phenomenal read! If you can get your hands on this one, then do read it. It's an incredibly well-written book and I had a remarkably good time reading it. It is a collection of really short essays by a Canadian journalist, Paul Benedetti, and he talks about his own life in all of them with cracking-my-butt-off humour about little things from his everyday life.

This was my first time reading a book full of essays and I was quite sceptical before starting it, but right after the very first essay, I knew I was hooked for good. I now feel like Paul is an old friend and I know more about his life than my own mother's, so that's something. DO READ IT, it's a classy humour book!

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

6.) Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
4 stars. A well-written romantic comedy. I usually don't read this type of book, but this one was so good. Great characters that I cared about.

message 42: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "6.) Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
4 stars. A well-written romantic comedy. I usually don't read this type of book, but this one was so good. Great characters that I cared about."

Oh, that sounds good! Now I want to be an "internet security officer," lol. I forgot about this author for humor and I remember enjoying Fangirl - probably last year.

message 43: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "6.) Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
4 stars. A well-written romantic comedy. I usually don't read this type of book, but this one was so good. Great characters that I cared about."

Just checked at Overdrive and amazingly it was available with no waiting, so I grabbed it.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

That's great, Dagny! I hope you enjoy it. I'll have to look for more books by this author.

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Rainbow Rowell's Attachments also fits for this month's bonus challenge - striking typography on the cover.

message 46: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 21, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "Rainbow Rowell's Attachments also fits for this month's bonus challenge - striking typography on the cover."

Thanks for the reminder!

message 47: by Dagny (new)

4. Trail of the Spellmans (Izzy Spellman #5) by Lisa Lutz

message 48: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny wrote: "Rainbow Rowell's Attachments also fits for this month's bonus challenge - striking typography on the cover."

Thanks for the reminder!"

You're welcome. It will be my only one.

message 49: by Heena (new)

Hi guys... thankfully this month is coming to an end! Here's the link to the next month's thread - October'18: Horror - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 50: by Dagny (new)

For someone who couldn't find much in the way of humor for this month, I finished my 5th one over the weekend:
5. The Last Word (Izzy Spellman #6) by Lisa Lutz
Note though that four of them are by the same author and in the same series. Easy listening to this dysfunctional family.

« previous 1