East Fishkill Community Library Online Book Group discussion

General Discussion > Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EFCLibrary (new)

EFCLibrary | 48 comments Hello everyone, and welcome to our new online book group! Thanks for joining us in this new format. Here is a place where you can introduce yourself to the other group members.

message 2: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 15 comments Hi everyone,

I'm Gloria - slow reader, librarian, knitter, mother, pet owner and probably a few others things too but I can't think of any at the moment.

Love good fantasy and stupid action books.

Sometimes I skip the book and go straight to the movie (Guernsy Literary, Secret Lives of Bees....) and other times I read the book and skip the movie (Mermaid Chair, Girl with a Pearl Earring). And sometimes I do both and wish I had skipped one (Mary Poppins - the books are top notch and the movie was just plain wrong).

Looking forward to discovering and discussing lots of books with you.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris_ferrero) Hello, EFCL fans!

My name is Chris, and I have missed this wonderful library ever since I moved from East Fishkill a year ago. We have a beautiful library in Stockbridge, Mass. but libraries are all different, and this is another way I can keep connected to you all!

I'm still meeting with a book group in the Poughkeepsie area that has been together for 20 years, and even if I can only join in by phone now, I am addicted to the process of discovering new books with friends. And I've learned to keep two or more books going at a time, too ;-)

I love all kinds of fiction, biographies, political commentary, gardening books, and short stories. I have also for forty years lived vicariously through female sleuths - including and in the mold of VI Warshawsky, Kinsey Milhone and Kay Scarpetta - throughout many contemporary crime series.

Great idea to start a Goodreads community reading group! Looking forward to it -
Chris

message 4: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 15 comments Hey Chris!! So glad you found us!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris_ferrero) I do read Bbokends! ;-)

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 26 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Courtney and I'm the face behind the East Fishkill Library account. I want to post comments on my main Goodreads account though, so you know who you're talking to!

I'm a librarian and currently work at East Fishkill, Pleasant Valley, and as a cataloger in the Mid-Hudson Library System. With 3 jobs, there's no way I'd be able to go to a regular book group, so an online book group is a perfect solution!

My favorite genres to read are science fiction and fantasy, but I'll give pretty much anything a try. Lately, I've been reading some classic children books that I didn't read as a kid, but feel like I should read now. I just finished Anne of Green Gables. I also love to read graphic novels. I'm always on the lookout for new book suggestions!

I look forward to reading and learning new things with all of you!

message 7: by Gisella (new)

Gisella | 18 comments Hi everyone,
My name is Gisella. I am married with three kids and a 1 yo super hyper dog. I have a 9 yo girl, 8 yo boy and 5 yo boy. I am a nurse and work long shifts. Between work life, home life, kid activities, homework, wife duties, etc It is a challenge to keep up with a regular book club so this online group is perfect for me. I love reading fiction especially historical fiction, based on true stories, inspirational books, biographies, anything really as long as it keeps me interested. I also love reading about other world cultures. I am currently reading "Daring to Drive" by Manal Al-shariff which is "taking" me across the world to Saudi Arabia and Killing the Rising Sun by Bill O'reilly taking me to the 1940's WW2 Era. I am looking forward to interacting in this group!

message 8: by Caren (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

Caren | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Caren. I love the online book club idea! I work full time and I am a mom to 3 children 7 and under, so it is ideal. I've been an avid reader from a very young age and I majored in English and American Literature in college. My favorite book is Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I haven't quite gotten the hang of using goodreads yet, but I'm looking forward to the group discussions!

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina Hello everyone! My name is Regina and I am a high school teacher. Though I am certified to teach English and have done so in the past, I am currently a Business teacher (I initially got my degree in Marketing and Management and worked in that field before I decided to become a teacher). I just had my first child 5 weeks ago: a sweet little baby boy who is just the highlight of my life :) In addition to reading, I like to play golf, do yoga, and travel. I like to read nonfiction, though lately I have been into thrillers. I just finished Watch the Girls by Jennifer Wolfe, though it was a bit too disturbing for me. I'm looking forward to reading something more lighthearted. Can't wait to get reading this book and start discussing :)

message 10: by Courtney (last edited Sep 10, 2018 06:41AM) (new)

Courtney | 26 comments Regina wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Regina and I am a high school teacher. Though I am certified to teach English and have done so in the past, I am currently a Business teacher (I initially got my degree i..."

Hi Regina,

Congratulations on your new baby! Watch the Girls looks interesting; I might need to give it a try.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 9 comments Hi everyone! I'm Michelle and I'm not an avid reader, but I loved being in a book club. Sometimes I got the audio book instead of a real book. Life is busy so it's difficult to get to a book club, so when I found this online today, I had to join. I'm looking forward to the next book and lots of discussions. Happy Reading!!!