Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > Ringworld: The Movie

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F A few years ago, I heard rumors that a film treatment of the famous novel was being considered, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson was a prime mover in it. But I haven't heard anything about it since, and I assume it's been dropped due to lack of intere$t, if you know what I mean.
What I want to know, and I've been wracking my brain about it for years and haven't been able to come up with a good answer:
What current living actor would you cast as Louis Wu?

message 2: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2452 comments Mod
The Rock

message 3: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Jeff wrote: "What I want to know, and I've been wracking my brain about it for years and haven't been able to come up with a good answer:
What current living actor would you cast as Louis Wu?"

Good question! I try not to thinking of books becoming movies, but every so often I just can't help it. I haven't read Ringworld...yet...but as soon as I do, I will let you know! But, The Rock would probably do amazing...not matter the role.

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4132 comments Mod
I figure if Star Trek can do it . . . someone ought to make the real thing

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff F Kateblue wrote: "I figure if Star Trek can do it . . . someone ought to make the real thing"

I think with the current state of CGI, the aliens could be easily reproduced.
"Louis, I found your challenge overly verbose. When challenging a Kzin, you scream and you leap."
"You scream and you leap. Great."
But I think the actor who portrays Louis Wu should at least somewhat fit the description of him given in the book. Sorry guys, Duane Johnson is out. Jackie Chan might be able to cut it. No doubt he has the physical ability and he's near the appropriate age range, but Louis Wu is skinny. Jackie Chan is not.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4132 comments Mod
It's been WAY too long since I read these. I just remember Beowulf Shaffer. A Crashlander. And Elephant. And a girlfriend who I think had green hair.