The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 30.7 - DianaK's task: Hadrian's Wall

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
30.7 - DianaK's task: Hadrian's Wall
In late September, my husband and I will embark on a coast-to-coast hike along Hadrian's Wall in England. This will be the third long-distance hike that my husband and I will take. We hiked previously in Italy from Orvieto to Rome and in Portugal along the Algarve Coast.

This is a 2 book task. Choose two different options.
Required: State which options you used when you post.

Option 1: The wall was the northern border of the Roman Empire in its province of Britannia and was built in less than 6 years beginning in AD 122 during Emperor Hadrian's reign. Read a book, from this list Best Historical Fiction About Ancient Rome OR read a non-fiction book about the Roman Empire.
Required: If using the option with the list, state which page your book is on when you post.

Option 2: The hike totals 84 miles. Read a book whose total numbers of pages include both the number 8 and the number 4.

Option 3: Coast to coast is just one example of a phrase that follows the format "word" to "same word" such as back to back, wall to wall and bumper to bumper. Read a book with such a phrase in the title/subtitle. Both words must be the same. Titles which use "2" in place of the word "to" are allowed as in Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology.

Option 4: Read a book about someone's hiking journey. The book should be about a particular person's journey. Examples include A Walk in the Woods, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, Northern Soles: A Coast to Coast Walk, Sunrises to Santiago: Searching for Purpose on the Camino de Santiago, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Option 5: We will stay in inns and hotels along the way. Some of the towns have charming names. My favorite is probably Once Brewed. I've read that if you're coming from the east you'll see the name marker as Once Brewed and if you're coming from the west you'll see Twice Brewed.

Read a book that has all the letters of either ONCE BREWED or TWICE BREWED in the title/subtitle.

message 2: by Diana (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Approved Books
Heart2Heart A Charity Anthology by May Archer Hadrian's Wall by Adrian Goldsworthy
Catullus' Bedspread The Life of Rome's Most Erotic Poet by Daisy Dunn

message 3: by Diana (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Not approved.

Force of Nature (Aaron Falk, #2) by Jane Harper The Courage Tree by Diane Chamberlain The Separation by Dinah Jefferies
A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 766 comments Great task, and I am feeling serious envy about your hikes! You'll have to let us know how it went when you get back from your trip in September. :-)

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments I am envious as well! Enjoy and i know I can find some great books for this task.

message 7: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2744 comments I hope you enjoy Hadrians wall Northumberland in particular is a beautiful county

message 8: by Amy (last edited Sep 05, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments For option 1 could Catullus' Bedspread: The Life of Rome's Most Erotic Poet work? Or are you looking for political/economic books?

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments For option 3 would this work?
Heart2Heart: A Charity Anthology

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Claire wrote: "For option 1 could Catullus' Bedspread: The Life of Rome's Most Erotic Poet work? Or are you looking for political/economic books?"

That works.

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I'll allow it. It's in keeping with the idea of the task.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 773 comments Can I use Hadrian's Wall for option 1
read a non-fiction book about the Roman Empire.

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Amy wrote: "Will any of these work for Option 4:

The Devil's Highway: A True Story
Force of Nature
The Courage Tree
The Separation
A House in t..."</i>

I'm afraid that the last four books don't really seem to be about a hiking journey. I'm not sure about [book:The Devil's Highway: A True Story
. If most of the book is about the actual trip the men made then it would be okay but if more of the book is about the politics and the border patrol then no. You would have to explain after you read it how the majority of the book was about the journey.

message 15: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Cathy wrote: "Can I use Hadrian's Wall for option 1
read a non-fiction book about the Roman Empire."

Yes, that will work. I've just finished reading it and it fits.

message 16: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Will The Old Ways: A Journey on Foot work for option 4?

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments Yes, that works.