SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
General Discussion > Happy 20th Anniversary of HP & the Sorcerer's Stone!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 29495 comments Happy 20th Anniversary!
Can you believe it was (almost) twenty years ago when J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone hit US shelves? I can't!

My husband and I often wonder what it must be like for kids who grew up with HP. It was awesome for us, but can you imagine it at a young age? If I'd had Harry and friends, I may have read a lot more when I was younger. And, what an amazing fandom!

Anyway, cheers to 20 years and all the adventures we've had with Harry!

NYTimes: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/bo... <-- I loved the letter from her American editor on the galley

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandra | 24181 comments What a top letter from the Editor at Scholastic.

Love Harry Potter. Though I saw the movies before I read the books.

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 29495 comments Same. I've listened to the audiobooks 1-4 and really enjoyed them. Need to finish it up.

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) | 217 comments I've never read the audiobooks. Only in print. I'm sure they're delightful, though!

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 29495 comments I've always loved audiobooks ... if the narrator is good. Some have ruin books for me (then I decide if I'll switch to reading book or just skip altogether), others take me outta the world as soon as they start talking. Hubby and I listen to audiobooks while driving from place to place and it's been a lot of fun sharing them with him.

message 6: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam | 1052 comments Jim Dale does an excellent job in the American versions. I've heard that Stephen Fry also does an excellent job in the British versions, but I haven't listened to those.

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) | 217 comments Sam wrote: "Jim Dale does an excellent job in the American versions. I've heard that Stephen Fry also does an excellent job in the British versions, but I haven't listened to those."

Oh, I love Stephen Fry!

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 29495 comments He's awesome! I listened to the British versions and will continue with those.

Nerdy Werewolf (nerdywerewolf) | 217 comments Well, I'm a bit torn, now....on one hand, I read the American versions in print (several times...) so I know those.

On the other...Stephen Fry. Has anyone read or listened to both versions? Are they very different?

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 29495 comments I've only listened and to the British versions, so I can't say. Maybe someone else can give some good feedback.