Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The God is Not Willing (Witness, #1)
This topic is about The God is Not Willing
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > The God is not Willing Witness #1!!! [Nov 10, 2021]

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
We have a date people! I cannot believe he's going to turn this around so fast given guys like Martin, Rothfuss and Lynch are going on a decade.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
YESSSSSSSSS

Slick | 94 comments *cries incoherently with joy*

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Yay!

message 5: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

I wish there was a page and word count. GotM the shortest of all his books at 209,000 words all the way up to Toll the Hounds at 392K. I'm hoping it's on the larger side. After GotM the shortest are MT at 270K and DHG at 272K and that's including the Kharkanas books. So I think 270K is the shortest we'll see but the longer the better.

Slick | 94 comments Scott wrote: "the longer the better.."

Amen.

message 7: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm taking it for granted it will be a big book. I mean, it's SE!

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bea wrote: "I'm taking it for granted it will be a big book. I mean, it's SE!"

That's why the floor is 270K which is two and a half books for some authors but I'm thinking he needs to hit 400K!

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Doing a reread of NoK and it got me thinking since Laseen/Surly is a big part of that book.......how is Erikson going to handle Otataral in the new series? Technically it's gone, no? The mines, the crows, Tavore and others who have swords including Karsa and his bloodwood sword.........

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

This got pushed from July 2nd to Nov 2nd of next year.

message 11: by Miche (last edited Oct 20, 2018 10:58AM) (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Scott wrote: "This got pushed from July 2nd to Nov 2nd of next year."

Ohhhhhh! Is he working at the Kharkanas trilogy again?

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Miche wrote: "Scott wrote: "This got pushed from July 2nd to Nov 2nd of next year."

Ohhhhhh! Is he working at the Kharkanas trilogy again?"

No. It was only a 4 month delay. He probably found something he wanted to rewrite so it fit into books two and three better.

message 13: by Miche (last edited Oct 20, 2018 03:36PM) (new) - added it

Miche | 3175 comments Scott wrote: "No. It was only a 4 month delay. He probably found something he wanted to rewrite so it fit into books two and three better. "

Makes sense.

I hope he goes back to Kharkanas soon. :(

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Miche wrote: "I hope he goes back to Kharkanas soon. :("

I wish he was finishing that first but it didn't sell well. I think he's hoping this series takes off and people who read BotF decide it is worth reading the prequel.

Slick | 94 comments I swear Kharkanas is the most irritating series he's written, don't get me wrong I love them but they're super depressing and I was hoping to finish the trilogy

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Slick wrote: "I swear Kharkanas is the most irritating series he's written, don't get me wrong I love them but they're super depressing and I was hoping to finish the trilogy"

I need to do a re-read to gather my thoughts on it.

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

After finishing my reread of TBH I was thinking about this book.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 2150 comments I’m so annoyed that he isn’t finishing Kharkanas and starting this. I’m sure this series is going to be amazing but still.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bill wrote: "I’m so annoyed that he isn’t finishing Kharkanas and starting this. I’m sure this series is going to be amazing but still."

I agree. Again I think it's because Kharkanas didn't sell and he's hoping this generates interest. I was surprised to find when Jenna did the top 3 books with under 3000 ratings that Fall of Light was in this grouping.

I wasn't particularly thrilled with the ending of FoL. I felt like SE setup all of these threads in FoD and then in Fol they fell a bit flat sort of like HoC but HoC was much better on reread. I'm hoping the same happens with FoL.

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm curious if Witness will be written in a way that makes it readable for people who haven't read the main series. That would probably benefit the number of sales and would make Malazan more accessible to new readers because a trilogy is much less daunting than a 10 book series.
Do you think it's possible to write Witness without majorly spoiling the main series?

message 21: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 2150 comments Scott wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’m so annoyed that he isn’t finishing Kharkanas and starting this. I’m sure this series is going to be amazing but still."

I agree. Again I think it's because Kharkanas didn't sell a..."

I understand that Kharkanas didn’t sell well from a business standpoint but on a personal level it’s kind of insulting that he doesn’t reward the loyal fans who did buy and read it by finishing the series. As excited as I am for this I’ll probably wait for it to be completed before starting.

Bea wrote: "I'm curious if Witness will be written in a way that makes it readable for people who haven't read the main series. That would probably benefit the number of sales and would make Malazan more acces..."

I think it would be tough because i think this one takes place after the main series.

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Bill wrote: "Scott wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’m so annoyed that he isn’t finishing Kharkanas and starting this. I’m sure this series is going to be amazing but still."

I agree. Again I think it's because Kharkanas..."

Yeah, it would probably be very hard, if even possible at all.

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bill wrote: "I understand that Kharkanas didn’t sell well from a business standpoint but on a personal level it’s kind of insulting that he doesn’t reward the loyal fans who did buy and read it by finishing the series...."

I totally get your point and wasn't disagreeing. In fact for all his rhetoric about the ills and avarice of capitalism it's disappointing on that level as well.

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bea wrote: "I'm curious if Witness will be written in a way that makes it readable for people who haven't read the main series. That would probably benefit the number of sales and would make Malazan more acces..."

The list of things you would have to dance around would be near endless. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "Bea wrote: "I'm curious if Witness will be written in a way that makes it readable for people who haven't read the main series. That would probably benefit the number of sales and would make Malaza..."

Yeah, that's the problem...

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

"I needed to explore all those repercussions Karsa left behind him. I needed to show that, just as readers remember that legacy, so too do all the people in the Malazan world that Karsa encountered and interacted with. And that’s where I needed to start.

Structurally, that makes perfect sense. Do you see the potential problem? We might not even get to Karsa himself in the first novel.

How can it be Karsa Orlong’s trilogy if he ain’t even in the first (possibly two) book(s)? Well, my answer is, the entire trilogy is about Karsa Orlong: it’s about his legacy, and we need that legacy to be fully explored in order to bring the reader to Karsa. A sudden jump into his lap without that stuff, just won’t work. At least in my mind."

OK, I'm as big of an Erikson fan as there is but this has me more than a little worried. To me this sounds like we're setting up for a slog like the first quarter of HoC, yes the Irony that it was all Karsa, or the first half of RG until those immortal words "the Malazans are on our shore."

In SE we trust but one of the most disappointing things about Kharkanas is that Anomander is once again a side character. SE does a great job of making us want more Karsa, Rake, Shadowthrone, Cotillion, Rake, QB, WJ.......but to not see the main character in the first and possibly two books? WTF? This is pretty late in the game for these comments so I'm thinking if we see him at all it's in a prologue or epilogue in book one.

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "
"I needed to explore all those repercussions Karsa left behind him. I needed to show that, just as readers remember that legacy, so too do all the people in the Malazan world that Karsa encounte..."

Oh oh...

I'm not saying that SE should write exactly what the fans are expecting, however at least there should be an interesting plot and this sounds more like there will just be a ton of philosophy about a characters' legacy instead of a great story. I fear he's about to fall into the Kharkanas-trap again, too...

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Re-reading TtH right now and needed to share this as well.

‘I remember Gothos.’ A terrible frown lowered the Elder’s brows. ‘He would appear, just before the last stone was set. He would look upon my house and pronounce it adequate. Adequate! Oh, how I hated that word! My sweat, my blood, and he called them adequate! And then he would walk inside and close the door, and I would place the last stone, and the house would vanish! I don’t think I like Gothos.’

Imagine my excitement coming upon this scene from the blood of dragons involving Nimander and an "Elder" and finding the word adequate. I of course quickly opened my copies of FoD and FoL in Kindle format and searched for the word. Only one time does it appear in FoD and has nothing to do with Azath building and it doesn't appear at all in FoL. WTF!!!!! Curse you SE!

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bea wrote: "Oh oh...

I'm not saying that SE should write exactly what the fans are expecting, however at least there should be an interesting plot and this sounds more like there will just be a ton of philosophy about a characters' legacy instead of a great story. I fear he's about to fall into the Kharkanas-trap again, too......"

I agree. I was pretty pissed about how little screen time Rake got. The only upside is IF it's painted largely through the eyes of Samar DEV, Ubala Pung and a few of the others who know Karsa. Torvald perhaps.

message 30: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

BTW

https://steven-erikson.org/life-on-th...

Talking about GotM in this reference.

As it turned out, for many readers, even that wasn’t enough background or gaps filled. But no matter what I did with that particular novel, the backstory was always going to be huge, and could only be hinted at (Cam Esslemont is right now in the process of filling in that backstory, with one trilogy done and another on the way).

message 31: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "BTW

https://steven-erikson.org/life-on-th...

Talking about GotM in this refere..."

Interesting article. He seems pretty aware of what the fans might (not) like, though.
And yes to another trilogy!

Scott wrote: "Bea wrote: "Oh oh...

I'm not saying that SE should write exactly what the fans are expecting, however at least there should be an interesting plot and this sounds more like there will just be a to..."

Yup. I actually wasn't even that disappointed because Rake didn't get enough screentime, the problem imo is more that he doesn't really do anything in his scenes. In the main series he always enters the scene with a bang, so I was expecting his story to be more spectacular.
I hope we'll get lots of Samar, though, probably my favorite female character from the main series!

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bea wrote: "I hope we'll get lots of Samar, though, probably my favorite female character from the main series! ..."

The first time through it was probably Samar or Lostara. The second time through Samar or Apsalar.

Slick | 94 comments Apsalar is a gem. Dat show dance tho.....

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

After finishing my re-read of TtH I have to wonder about the following. Spoilers require you've read to the conclusion of the series.

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Apr 21, 2019 05:34AM) (new) - added it

Saw this morning that this was pushed to Aug 11th, 2020 for release. :(

message 36: by Bill (last edited Apr 21, 2019 07:23AM) (new) - added it

Bill | 2150 comments After finishing P2A I’m dying to read more Malazan. Might just have to do a full reread. Sad to see this get pushed back.

message 37: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

The pub date on this was move from Aug 11th, 2020 to Nov 10th, 2021, fuck that sucks.

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Bill wrote: "After finishing P2A I’m dying to read more Malazan. Might just have to do a full reread. Sad to see this get pushed back."

The last book so P2A was so disappointing after how good the first two were.

message 39: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

November 2021?! :(

Slick | 94 comments ................. Devastated.

message 41: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

Slick wrote: "................. Devastated."

Jenna wrote: "November 2021?! :("

I know, right? That puts it 5 years out from Fall of Light. Granted he has published in his Willful Child series and the standalone Rejoice, A Knife to the Heart. I haven't read the WC series yet but I'm halfway through Rejoice and that's very good.

message 42: by DangerBin (new) - added it

DangerBin | 1 comments Bea wrote: "Scott wrote: "
"I needed to explore all those repercussions Karsa left behind him. I needed to show that, just as readers remember that legacy, so too do all the people in the Malazan world that K..."

Completely agree. This needs to have an actual plot and events. I can't slog through Kharkanas-type books again.

message 43: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - added it

message 44: by Jakyro (last edited Mar 12, 2021 11:38PM) (new) - added it

Jakyro | 67 comments Amazon now states the release data as 1 july 2021
They also have a cover. Below you have the book blurb:

Many years have passed since three Teblor warriors brought carnage and chaos to the small lakeside settlement of Silver Lake. While the town has recovered, the legacy of that past horror remains, even if the Teblor tribes of the north no longer venture into the southlands. One of those three, Karsa Orlong, is now deemed to be a god, albeit an indifferent one. In truth, many new cults and religions have emerged across the Malazan world, including those who worship Coltaine, the Black-Winged God, and - popular among the Empire's soldiery - followers of the cult of Iskar Jarak, Guardian of the Dead.

A legion of Malazan marines is on the march towards Silver Lake. responding to intelligence that indicates the tribes beyond the border are stirring. The marines aren't quite sure what they're going to be facing but, while the Malazan military has evolved and these are not the marines of old, one thing hasn't changed: they'll handle whatever comes at them. Or die trying

Meanwhile, in the high mountains, where dwell the tribes of the Teblor, a new warleader has risen. Scarred by the deeds of Karsa Orlong, he intends to confront his god, even if he has to cut a bloody path through the Malazan Empire to do it. Higher in the mountains, a new threat has emerged, and now the Teblor are running out of time.
The long feared invasion is about to begin. And this time it won't be three simple warriors. This time thousands are poised to flood the lands of the south. And in their way, a single legion of Malazan marines . . .

It seems the past is about to revisit Silver Lake, and that is never a good thing . . .

message 45: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

I got my copy of The God is Not Willing at the end of December - has anyone read it yet?