English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > September 2018 read-along

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 29, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 5230 comments Mod
For September we have ten books that are being published and they are: 1) The Thin Blue Line The Thin Blue Line by Christoffer Carlsson by Christoffer Carlsson Christoffer Carlsson to be published September 3, 2018. Sweden. 2) The Forbidden Place The Forbidden Place by Susanne Jansson by Susanne Jansson to be published September 4, 2018. Sweden. 3) In the Heat of the Moment In the Heat of the Moment (Sandhamn Murders Book 5) by Viveca Sten by Viveca Sten Viveca Sten to be published September 4, 2018. Sweden. 4) My Struggle: The End My Struggle The End (My Struggle Book 6) by Karl Ove Knausgård by Karl Ove Knausgård Karl Ove Knausgård to be published September 4, 2018. Norway. 5) Tell Me You're Mine Tell Me You're Mine by Elisabeth Norebäck by Elisabeth Norebäck to be published September 4, 2018. Sweden. 6) The Wanderer: A Magnus Iceland Mystery The Wanderer A Magnus Iceland Mystery by Michael Ridpath Michael Ridpath Michael Ridpath to be published September 6, 2018. Iceland. 7) The Watcher The Watcher by Caroline Eriksson by Caroline Eriksson Caroline Eriksson to be published September 18, 2018. Sweden. 8) Secret Passages in a Hillside Town The Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen to be published September 18, 2018. Finland. 9) You Were Made for This You Were Made for This by Michelle Sacks Michelle Sacks Michelle Sacks to be published September 19, 2018. Sweden. 10) Piteraq Piteraq (The Sirius Sledge Patrol #1) by Christoffer Petersen by Christoffer Petersen Christoffer Petersen to be published September 26, 2018. Denmark (Greenland). As Always we will add books as they become known to us. Good reading.

message 2: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2480 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "For September we have ten books that are being published and they are: 1) The Thin Blue LineThe Thin Blue Line by Christoffer Carlsson by Christoffer Carlsson [authori..."

I am confused, how can there be that many read alongs in a month! Wonderful list of new books but.....help!

message 3: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Some really interesting books. I wished I had more time!

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Sharon wrote: "Ken wrote: "For September we have ten books that are being published and they are: 1) The Thin Blue LineThe Thin Blue Line by Christoffer Carlsson by [author:Christoffer Carlsson|46246..."

I guess the publishers like September for publication, enough time to read before Christmas.....to see if it's any good for gifts.

message 5: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 08:41PM) (new)

In the Heat of the Moment (Sandhamn Murders Book 5)
by Viveca Sten, Marlaine Delargy (Translator)
Ken Fredette's review Aug 08, 2018 · edit
it was amazing
Read 2 times. Last read August 8, 2018.

I like the way Viveca changed each of the key points in the story. She had Nora and Jonas progressing love affair take a back seat when Wilma said she hated Nora. Thomas had three to four people involved in the death of Victor and it was an emotional field day in finding all the key points in solving the case. Everything was playing into this case and nothing was the actual answer to solving it. It was the end of school and everyone was drinking and partying to the max. The drug pushers were there on the Island and all the underage people were drinking and following their older siblings around on different boats. Nora and her boys were not partaking in the festivities at all, but ended up picking up some underage girls as a service to her ex's mother. Wilma ended up lost and refused to call her father, Jonas. There's a whole lot of action that I didn't explain so you can read this story and find out about Nora's ex at the end of the story. I'm in overload now thinking about it, I gave it 5 stars because of Viveca's writing. What's her next book going to be.

Tell Me You're Mine
by Elisabeth Norebäck
Ken Fredette's review Aug 04, 2018 · edit
really liked it

It took a while for me to get into Elisabeth Norebäck's book. She didn't seem to mind explaining the sex scenes which the Swedish people are quite open about, but I seem to brush over them, because I guess I feel embarrassed. It starts out with Stella Widstrand as a therapist meeting a client, Isabelle Karlsson, who is the spitting image of her lost daughter from 20 years ago, Alice. It goes into the history of the crime and also what Stella does with Isabelle. I'll let you figure out how and what happens in this story. Let's say it unfolds with many people being involved with Stella in her practice and it comes to a head. You'll like reading it, you do get involved with Stella. You ache for her, so read it, you won't be disappointed.

The Watcher
by Caroline Eriksson, Tara F. Chace (Translation)
Ken Fredette's review Aug 12, 2018 · edit
liked it

This was a hard book to get through because Caroline used each character to give an impression that what was happening really did happen. After saying that I feel like I am spoiling the story for you to read. As you read Elena is an author that is watching her neighbors through her window making assumptions about them. They have a 14 year old boy, Leo, that also wants to be an author. His problems become Elena's, because he comes home from school without shoe's, or his door key. She need to write something as a story and this seems to be the ticket. Things take a drastic change when she follows Veronica when she goes off with two suitcases. I'll leave it at that so you can get into the story.

message 6: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments Terrific reviews Ken! I’ve added Vivca Sten to my series list. And i’ll keep an eye out for the Norebäck also.

message 7: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2480 comments Mod
Icewineanne wrote: "Terrific reviews Ken! I’ve added Vivca Sten to my series list. And i’ll keep an eye out for the Norebäck also."

Sounds great indeed, wish I’d started reading this series but we’ve been watching it and it’s quite good telly, the Sandhamn Murders....

message 8: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

After the Death of Ellen Keldberg After the Death of Ellen Keldberg (Handheld Modern Book 1) by Eddie Thomas Petersen by Eddie Thomas Petersen will be published September 3, 2018. Denmark.

message 9: by Icewineanne (last edited Sep 08, 2018 11:29AM) (new)

Icewineanne | 300 comments This sounds so good Ken. I’ve added it to my watch list on amazon 😊

message 10: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Sep 12, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

I'm getting The Forbidden Place The Forbidden Place by Susanne Jansson by Susanne Jansson from the library. It's her first book but she's been a journalist for over 20 years. It's about a bog that people have given gifts to for thousands of years in Sweden..

message 11: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

If you like horror stories you might like John Ajvide Lindqvist's John Ajvide Lindqvist I Always Find You I Always Find You by John Ajvide Lindqvist will be published September 20, 2018. Sweden.

message 12: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Sep 23, 2018 06:09PM) (new)

Lars Kepler Lars Kepler will have their e-book out called The Nightmare The Nightmare by Lars Kepler September 25,2018. Previously published in other years. Sweden.

message 13: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Sep 28, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Until the Ice Cracks Until the Ice Cracks (Eldísvík Book 1) by Jan Turk Petrie by Jan Turk Petrie, United Kingdom, was published September 1, 2018. Scandinavian. Future 2068 in the Arctic circle.