Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 10th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 31, 2018 04:58AM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "second" per user
- If you suggested or seconded a topic in the 9th mini-poll then you must wait 24 hours before doing so in this one (5PM EST Thursday)
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.
- Since we have reached the 10th mini-poll, all suggestions are now free to be re-submitted. Mods will discuss further restrictions if needed.

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread once 15 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries:
1. A book about a person who travels to another country as a vacationer, an expatriate, an immigrant, or a refugee
2. A book where the author’s name contain A, T, and Y
3. The winner or nominee for a literary prize in a country other than your own.
4. A book that spans a week or less
5. A book of short stories, essays, or poems.
6. A book that none of your Goodreads friends have read/ rated
7. A book written by a man with a female main character or written by a woman with a male main character
8. A book with a quest or treasure hunt
9. 2 books linked to the voting for the 2019 ATY challenge - one for a prompt that was polarizing and one for a prompt that was in the bottom
10. A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year
11. A book you think you should read
12. A book told from multiple perspectives
13. A book that reminds you of your youth
14. A book with revenge or vengeance as a theme.
15. A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)

Available to be Seconded:
- A book that reminds you of your youth
- A book where the chapters/parts are divided by dates or times

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
Oh yay! (Although I will never learn my lesson and I will always end up commenting on the very end of the suggestions, thus preventing me from commenting on the opening of suggestions, thus making me be a spectator for the first 24 hours, thus making me want to jump in as soon as I can, thus repeating the cycle.)

message 3: by Liz (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:00PM) (new)

Liz | 509 comments I'm assuming that if you nominated or seconded in the 9th poll (not the 8th), that you have to wait 24 hours?

message 4: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, that's correct :)

message 5: by dalex (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments A book about a person who travels to another country as a vacationer, an expatriate, an immigrant, or a refugee

defined as:
vacationer - short visit
expatriate - long visit with intention of going home
immigrant - long visit with intention of staying
refugee - indeterminate stay

message 6: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 743 comments A book where the author’s name contain A, T, and Y.

message 7: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments A book that spans a week or less.

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments Lizzy wrote: "A book where the author’s name contain A, T, and Y."

I second this

message 9: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Emily, I am in the same boat. I am going to try to exercise willpower this time but we'll see.

The one exception will be if dalex's suggestion doesn't get seconded because I love that one. Thanks for putting that in dalex! I was excited it received positive feedback in the wild discussion and hope it does well here.

message 10: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "The one exception will be if dalex's suggestion doesn't get seconded because I love that one. Thanks for putting that in dalex! I was excited it received positive feedback in the wild discussion and hope it does well here. "

Yay! Thanks Rachel. :)

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments dalex wrote: "A book about a person who travels to another country as a vacationer, an expatriate, an immigrant, or a refugee

definted as:
vacationer - short visit
expatriate - long visit with intention of goin..."

Dalex, I love that suggestion as well and would definitely like to second it! :)

message 13: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1053 comments A book of short stories, essays, or poems.

message 14: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments A book that reminds you of your youth ("youth" can be defined in any way you like). This could include:
- A re-read of a book you loved when you were younger.
- A book from an author or genre you loved when you were younger.
- A book about a young person.
- A book set in a school.
- A book set in a place you lived when you were younger.
- A book involving an activity you enjoyed when you were younger.

message 15: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments I like these suggestions but the quest one reminds me of the journey prompt that just got voted in, and the youth one reminds me of the children’s classic prompt or prompt set in school :/

message 16: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Avery wrote: "I like these suggestions but the quest one reminds me of the journey prompt that just got voted in, and the youth one reminds me of the children’s classic prompt or prompt set in school :/"

I did hesitate before suggesting it because of that, but really I was thinking more of a book that is LIKE a book I loved when I was younger, ideally a book by a favorite author that I haven't read yet. And since I'm in my 50s, my "youth" is not childhood, but late teens/early 20s - I was hoping that defining "youth" in ways that work for each reader would make this flexible enough. But, you know, either it makes it or it doesn't!

message 17: by Angie (last edited Aug 29, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Angie I see that we're low on "awards" prompts, so I'll suggest:

A book that won a literary prize in a country other than your own.

Here is a list of literary prizes by region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

And by country:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments A book written by a man with a female main character or written by a woman with a male main character.

(This prompt could even be turned into a 2-week one if “or” were to be replaced with “and”, but I will propose it as a single week prompt given the difficulty in getting 2-week prompts voted in.)

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1791 comments I’ll second Angie’s awards prompt.

message 20: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Angie wrote: "I see that we're low on "awards" prompts, so I'll suggest:

A book that won a literary prize in a country other than your own."

I'm wondering if this could maybe be winner or nominee? I'm a huge prize reader but even I find "winner" to be quite restricting.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter | -20 comments Clare wrote: "A book that spans a week or less."

I'd like to second this one. I don't think we've had many topics that deal with the span of time throughout the book.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie dalex wrote: "Angie wrote: "I see that we're low on "awards" prompts, so I'll suggest:

A book that won a literary prize in a country other than your own."

I'm wondering if this could maybe be winner or nominee..."

Sure. I'm fine with that.

message 23: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3280 comments Read a book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)

Https://www.bookstr.com/book-genres-t...

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments A book that none of your goodreads friends have read/ rated.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments The one we talked about "a book that was at the bottom of the vote and was a rejected prompt that you voted for or would have voted for."

message 26: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 935 comments I'll second a book of short stories, essays, or poems.

message 27: by Sofia (new)

Sofia | 33 comments Katie wrote: "A book that none of your goodreads friends have read/ rated."

I would like to second this. It reminds me of "A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books" prompt that never make it and i quite like it.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments Sophie wrote: "A book written by a man with a female main character or written by a woman with a male main character"

seconding this

message 29: by Ira (new)

Ira | 309 comments Too bad I can't second yet because I love some of those suggestions.I will have to be patient and hope they get seconded.

message 30: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments I'll suggest three books linked to the voting for the 2019 ATY challenge - one for a prompt that was polarizing, one for a prompt that was in the bottom, and one for a prompt you voted for or would have voted for. Not sure if this was what Ann was referring to or whether she meant just one book and I'm totally overstepping with three.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Anastasia wrote: "A book with a quest, treasure hunt or pilgrimage

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/......"

I'll second this one

message 32: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Can I get some help with differentiating quest/hunt/pilgrimage/etc from a Journey? Aren't they all journeys? If I can see how they are different, I'll be interested.

message 33: by dalex (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Nadine wrote: "Can I get some help with differentiating quest/hunt/pilgrimage/etc from a Journey? Aren't they all journeys? If I can see how they are different, I'll be interested."

One way to look at it is that one is attempting to obtain something on a quest/treasure hunt/pilgrimage whereas a journey is about the process of getting somewhere.

But, yeah, I agree, they are pretty much synonymous. :)

message 34: by Avery (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments Also, Ann's and Serendipity's prompts are listed as two separate suggestions... they are pretty similar, any chance they can just be one prompt? Or should that count as one suggestion and one second?

message 35: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments Read a book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year. Here is the link:

http://www.nationalbook.org/nba2017.h...

They have fiction, non-fiction, young adult and poetry categories. The award goes back to the 1950's. If you click on the Awards tab it gives you a link by decade for the previous winners.

message 36: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I went ahead and combined Ann and Serendipity's suggestions and entered it in the poll as the 'three books' wording.

message 37: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

As far as the "quest" suggestion, I personally see them as too similar for me to vote for it. But I suppose others may feel differently when they vote.

message 38: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments I agree with the quest - too similar to journey. I won’t be voting for it.

message 39: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments I love the National Book Award prompt. I hope it gets some love. But I am totally feeling like I need to make that into my own personal challenge to read a finalist from each year. Because you can never have too many challenges, right? Haha.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Serendipity wrote: "I'll suggest three books linked to the voting for the 2019 ATY challenge - one for a prompt that was polarizing, one for a prompt that was in the bottom, and one for a prompt you voted for or would..." I was going to go with three but thought it would be too confusing. I like the way you clarified it.

message 41: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Is it just me or is this poll especially slow and quiet?

(Maybe it's because the chatty active people {cough*Emily} are "banned" from participating until this afternoon. Ha!)

message 42: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I was thinking the same thing, dalex ;)

But maybe people are just busy reading for the read-a-thon...

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments I was thinking the same thing, too. I wonder if there will be a huge rush of suggestions/seconds at the 24-hour mark.

message 44: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
I know I've been busy with the Read-A-Thon threads, but I figured there would be more people participating since one of the challenges on the new board is to participate in the ATY list creation.

I'm not complaining... just contemplating what I will second or suggest haha!

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments I wonder if we should include a “prompt you voted for or would have voted for” as the third link for the 3 books related to the list?

Presumably, if one chooses a prompt that was on the bottom or polarizing, it would have been a prompt that they voted for or would have voted for. I wonder if we should change it to a two week linked prompt or instead use “close call” as a third linked prompt (like this year)? Anyways, just a thought.

message 46: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 30, 2018 08:55AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
dalex wrote: "Is it just me or is this poll especially slow and quiet?

(Maybe it's because the chatty active people {cough*Emily} are "banned" from participating until this afternoon. Ha!)"

Waiting for (5 pm...????) but following along. It is a hardship let me tell you.

Emily probably has an alarm set on her phone lol

I have to say I've been having so much fun with this group keeping me company while I'm out of work. I feel like I'm really getting a sense of peoples personalities. we are lucky to have a great group of people here :-)

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments I keep forgetting about this thread because my brain is focused on the read-a-thon, but the read-a-thon prompts seem to be pretty slow today too. Maybe people are out trying to soak the joy out of the last bit of summer.

message 48: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 30, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "I love the National Book Award prompt. I hope it gets some love. But I am totally feeling like I need to make that into my own personal challenge to read a finalist from each year. Because you can ..."

Katie< I always end up taking these types of lists and making a "cover quilt" in my infinity thread with all of the nominees and winners I want to get to.....someday. I think I have 1001 books in there and NPR and also every year of the GR Choice awards... I love making lists out of book lists :-)

I CANNOT find my journal where I have all of my challenges listed ( series, authors etc....) I hope I didn't throw it out :-(

message 49: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments Sophie wrote: "I wonder if we should include a “prompt you voted for or would have voted for” as the third link for the 3 books related to the list?"

I also agree with changing the third linked prompt from "voted for" to "close call." I'm sure many of us have voted for at least one in each of those categories.

message 50: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Close calls don’t come up each time. Maybe close call or resubmitted prompt?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.