J.D. Robb discussion

Criminal (Will Trent, #6)
This topic is about Criminal
Archive -2017/18 Series GR > Criminal by Karin Slaughter (Will Trent #6) - September 2018 (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13752 comments Mod
Will Trent is a brilliant agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Newly in love, he is beginning to put a difficult past behind him. Then a local college student goes missing, and Will is inexplicably kept off the case by his supervisor and mentor, deputy director Amanda Wagner.

Will cannot fathom Amanda’s motivation until the two of them literally collide in an abandoned orphanage they have both been drawn to for different reasons. Decades before, when his father was imprisoned for murder, this was Will’s home. It appears that the case that launched Amanda’s career forty years ago has suddenly come back to life—and it involves the long-held mystery of Will’s birth and parentage.

Now these two dauntless investigators will each need to face down demons from the past if they are to prevent an even greater terror from being unleashed.

Character List
(view spoiler)

Spoiler Info
(view spoiler)

This will become a spoiler zone on September 8.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10537 comments Mod
Probably my favorite of the series!

This one is SOOOO good!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Can't wait to read it.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments It has been more than 2 years since I read this one, so it might be time to sign it out and join the discussion.

Lynne | 429 comments This one is my favorite also!!! I just re-read it last month actually (couldn't wait)

Lol!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments I started reading. I like getting more of Amanda's background. It doesn't explain her treatment of Will (yet) but it is insightful.

I'm a little anxious for Will. I feel this case is going to be a tough one for him.

It’s fascinating isn’t it?

Let’s get started! As a reminder, this becomes a spoiler zone on September 8.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Looking forward to hearing everyone's reactions - lots to discuss in this one! Starting my reread.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments OMG! Just finished. I didn't see that coming. I think this is my favorite Karin Slaughter book that I've read. Can't wait for the 8th.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Love this buddy read. Hoping to start this tonight.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Made a start... and gotta say, I love it! (view spoiler)

Cindy (BKind2Books) (bkind2books) | 158 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Made a start... and gotta say, I love it! [spoilers removed]"

I wasn't a cop back then - but I was a pharmacy student in 1975 (graduated 78) and I was told when I started working that I was taking a job away from a man who had to feed his family. It didn't matter that I was single (at the time) and supporting myself. Of course the last laugh is on him - my husband is retired and I'm the breadwinner now. I guess my point is that what I saw in this was totally believable for the 70s.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments For sure, Cindy. I worked in a Bank in the 80's and when I started my Supervisor said to me, " Oh you won't need superannuation, you'll get married and your husband will take of you." Luckily in my case we are in business and take care of each other.... but with the high rate of divorce a lot of women my age have been left in not good circumstances because of this archaic attitude.

Sorry, I digress... back to the book.

Cindy (BKind2Books) (bkind2books) | 158 comments Ooh ... I finished, can’t wait to discuss the meaty parts

message 19: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (cruelshoes) | 526 comments doing my re-read so I can catch up on the discussion

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "For sure, Cindy. I worked in a Bank in the 80's and when I started my Supervisor said to me, " Oh you won't need superannuation, you'll get married and your husband will take of you." Luckily in my..."

I relate to the women in this story. I was in systems when women weren't allowed in systems. I have a lot of dodge and run techniques I used to avoid the men who thought they could do whatever they want.

message 21: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 05, 2018 04:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Wow, I stayed up to 1 am last night finishing this. The way KS has developed this story and characters makes for great reading. Looking forward to discussing further soon.

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss the book openly.

Some questions from the author...

The story shifts its perspective, moving the action from the present day to the mid-70s. Did you ever find yourself wishing you could stay in one era?

Do you believe that modern women still have to deal with the misogynist attitudes that Amanda and Evelyn faced? Did the female detectives face worse abuse because they were in a traditionally “macho” profession, i.e. the police?

Was Amanda right to hide the truth from Will about his past? Should she have tried harder to be a direct presence for him throughout his life, even if she had been unable to legally adopt him?

message 26: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Jonetta wrote: "Some questions from the author...

The story shifts its perspective, moving the action from the present day to the mid-70s. Did you ever find yourself wishing you could stay in one era?"

No, I liked the build up and having the two time lines was quite a tease, I found myself reading faster and faster because I wanted to find out who Will's parents were. I had no idea that Amanda had such a profound effect on Will's life from the previous books. It was a great plot revelation!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Jonetta wrote: "Do you believe that modern women still have to deal with the misogynist attitudes that Amanda and Evelyn faced? Did the female detectives face worse abuse because they were in a traditionally “mach..."

I would have thought that a lot of issues of gender equality would have been dealt with, although a gender pay gap is still an issue in many professions. And with what has come to light with the Me too movement maybe I was naïve to think that. Although as was mentioned in earlier discussion at least women are slowly catching up with superannuation and they don't have to resign if they marry or become pregnant which was the case in government or finance jobs in the 60's. There is still a way to go I'm thinking for complete equality in the workplace.

message 28: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Jonetta wrote: "Was Amanda right to hide the truth from Will about his past? Should she have tried harder to be a direct presence for him throughout his life, even if she had been unable to legally adopt him?"

I guess as was highlighted a single woman wouldn't have been able to do more in that time. One thing I was puzzled about why she had such a prickly relationship with Will as his boss? Was it because she wanted to keep her history with his story a secret so she appeared tough with him so nobody would guess? Especially Will himself? Or she felt guilty somehow that she couldn't save his mother? Or she became so tough because it was so difficult for a woman to progress in the Force unless you became that way? Opinions?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "No, I liked the build up and having the two time lines was quite a tease, I found myself reading faster and faster because I wanted to find out who Will's parents were. I had no idea that Amanda had such a profound effect on Will's life from the previous books. It was a great plot revelation! ..."

I felt the same, Lisa, though there were times when I wanted to continue in one era for just a little bit longer. But, the transitions were crafted perfectly.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I would have thought that a lot of issues of gender equality would have been dealt with, although a gender pay gap is still an issue in many professions. And with what has come to light with the Me too movement maybe I was naïve to think that. Although as was mentioned in earlier discussion at least women are slowly catching up with superannuation and they don't have to resign if they marry or become pregnant which was the case in government or finance jobs in the 60's. There is still a way to go I'm thinking for complete equality in the workplace...."

It is distressing that gender issues are still where they are today despite all the strides over the years. Maybe the surge in female political candidates in the US might be the start of major change along with the MeToo movement.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Some questions from the author...

The story shifts its perspective, moving the action from the present day to the mid-70s. Did you ever find yourself wishing you could stay in one era?"

KS handle the past and present better than any I've read in the past. It often makes me crazy to jump back and forth but the switch comes at the right time to explain most of Evelyn and Amanda's thought processes. The fight they had to get where they are in their careers, the decisions they made in their personal lives, etc.

message 32: by Sharon (last edited Sep 08, 2018 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Do you believe that modern women still have to deal with the misogynist attitudes that Amanda and Evelyn faced? Did the female detectives face worse abuse because they were in a traditionally “mach..."

The attitudes aren't as blatant as they were but there is still a lot of crap thrown at women. When I started my career, I had a VP of the company I worked for who would stop in front of my desk and play with himself. He wanted to make sure I knew how well-endowed he was (I guess). He and one of the other execs would pull me in their offices and tell filthy jokes and laugh when I turned red. It was a regular occurrence if I was in the office and my boss was out.

My next job I was in a predominately male position. They went out of their way to make me fail. Unfortunately for them, that just made me work harder and I became their boss.

Today, most businesses don't allow such blatant misogynistic behavior but it happens.

Sharon wrote: "KS handle the past and present better than any I've read in the past. It often makes me crazy to jump back and forth but the switch comes at the right time to explain most of Evelyn and Amanda's thought processes. The fight they had to get where they are in their careers, the decisions they made in their personal lives, etc ..."

Exactly! Her timing was impeccable.

message 34: by Sharon (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Was Amanda right to hide the truth from Will about his past? Should she have tried harder to be a direct presence for him throughout his life, even if she had been unable to legally adopt him?"

I understand Amanda more now but disappointed too. She could have worked to be a bigger influence in Will's life. Even if she couldn't adopt, she could be a "big sister" type influence. Help him deal with his disability. Help him see that he isn't a failure. Maybe, if she was more active, Angie wouldn't have this hold on him. She would still be in his life because they shared so much hell but maybe he could push her away.

Amanda is still mentally abusive to Will. That is more unforgivable to me than anything. She knows his history. She gives him opportunities but it is always with a slap at his ego. I don't get that at all.

Sharon wrote: "The attitudes are as blatant as they were but there are still a lot of crap thrown at women. When I started my career, I had a VP of the company I worked for who would stop in front of my desk and play with himself...."

That’s just despicable. I’ll never understand why some men think they have the right to do this. Some serious character flaws here.

Early in my career I had a few uncomfortable situations but was adopted by one of my in-charges (accounting firm) and he mentored me for two years. He had a straight talk with me and taught me how to navigate around idiots. It served me well.

Things have changed a LOT but not enough.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "Sharon wrote: "The attitudes are as blatant as they were but there are still a lot of crap thrown at women. When I started my career, I had a VP of the company I worked for who would stop in front ..."

I had a good mentor too. It is the reason I advanced quicker than most women at the time.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Sharon wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Was Amanda right to hide the truth from Will about his past? Should she have tried harder to be a direct presence for him throughout his life, even if she had been unable to legally..."

Yes Sharon, that was the only part that didn't quite gel with me. Amanda's attitude to Will in the present day wasn't really explained. I can only surmise that she had been hardened over her years in police/detective work. Or she was uncomfortable with things that happened in the past.

Thought it was a great book though. I wonder what's coming up in the remaining two books written to date in the series. Surely some sort of show down is coming with Angie and Lena is likely to come back to cause havoc. Can't wait to find out.

message 38: by Sharon (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Lisa, I agree with you. Criminal is my favorite book by KS so far. Not only is it a great character driven story, it has an interesting crime to figure out. I was engaged from beginning to end.

I'm looking forward to the next two books in the series also. I think I read somewhere, maybe in this group, that another book is due out next year.

I'm happy that I didn't get turned onto this series earlier. The last book published in 2016, I don't think I could wait three years for another book. Although, my guess is KS isn't committed to turning out books in the series quickly so I'm expecting a wait after the 2019 book.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments I'm wondering what everyone thought of the scene in the morgue when Will walked in and saw Sara. That broke my heart. He is prepared to lose her because of who his father is. The description of his demeanor and Sara's desire to go to him is gut wrenching.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments The tragedies in both their pasts and how they have been able to rise above it in different ways mean they are perfect for each. Each instalment brings them closer together as they slowly get over some significant obstacles. Sara having final resolution with Lena and Will with Angie will be bring closure to their pasts so they can move forward together into a happy and bright future. That's what I'm hoping by the end of the series.

More from the author...

Why do you think Angie did what she did at the end of the novel? How do you think this is going to affect Will’s feelings about her?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 600 comments Totally to express the power she thinks she has over Will. To try and lure him back into her clutches. It must be killing her that he is with Sara. This perceived power is one of the big issues which will have to be resolved. I'm thinking the only way will be her death although if Will could break free totally himself it would be better for Sara and his relationship going further.

I had already guessed that Angie had killed Will's father.... but that final paragraph was awesome. That sentence "like a cat leaving a dead animal on the doorstep" nailed it.

Lynne | 429 comments I loved it! Thought it was perfect

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Angie said she would kill Will's father. At this point, I'm not sure what to think about Angie's hold on Will. I feel like Will wants to let her go and work on his relationship with Sara. However, it feels like something is still there preventing the break. Angie isn't the type of woman who will be friends and allow Will to be happy with another woman. I don't know why but the kiss speaks volumes. He could divorce Angie on desertion and/or infidelity but he hasn't even looked into it.

Also, I believe Angie is capable of pulling out a play of some kind and capturing Will again. I love Will but he still seems weak where Angie is concerned.

I think the unhealthy connection between Will and Angie has severed. Will feels a sense of loyalty because of their shared history but he now knows what a healthy relationship looks and feels like. Will she continue to try and manipulate him? Definitely. Will he stumble? Most definitely. But he’s not turning back.

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Jonetta wrote: "I think the unhealthy connection between Will and Angie has severed. Will feels a sense of loyalty because of their shared history but he now knows what a healthy relationship looks and feels like...."

You summed it up perfectly, Jonetta.

Thanks, Jo Ann. I think he’s there.

message 48: by Sharon (last edited Sep 10, 2018 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "I think the unhealthy connection between Will and Angie has severed. Will feels a sense of loyalty because of their shared history but he now knows what a healthy relationship looks and feels like...."

I know most of you read more of the series but, I don't feel it yet. I agree Will wants to move on. He knows love with Sara is different than anything he's had with Angie. However, almost every book has him jump Angie, allow her to feel him up, kiss him and he kisses back,etc.. If he is really severed and ready to give her up, he would file for a divorce or at a minimum not carry his wedding ring with him every time he leaves the house.

I really don’t know any more than what’s in this story.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2555 comments Jonetta wrote: "I really don’t know any more than what’s in this story."

Jonetta, I didn't mean anything except that some readers have read the books before. I don't know if you did or not we only interpret the events differently.

« previous 1