PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [PenPal Chall] > Pen Pal Matching - September through November

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Looking for a pen pal? Look no further!

Welcome to our second pen pal matching challenge! This challenge is all about finding someone new to make a connection with! You have the option to choose how you want to correspond, as well as some basic demographic information about the kind of pen pal you’re looking for! After that… the fate is in the hands of the matchmaker! My hope with this challenge is that you take a chance, fill out the form, and build a new friendship with someone from the group! You might not even know this person at all yet, but this is a wonderful opportunity to get out of our comfort zones and expand our horizons!

-Sign up opens August 29th and will remain open for the duration of the challenge. Challenge runs Sept 1st-Nov 30th

Timeline The way this challenge works does require a little bit of time as I work on the backend to try to make successful matches. First, please fill out the form. Then, please give me about a week to ten days to have you matched and the sheet updated. I will be putting up matches on a rolling basis so keep checking back! As always, feel free to reach out to me if you feel like it’s been too long or I passed over you! Time permitting, feel free to fill out the form a second, third and fourth time to make the most of this challenge!

The Spreadsheet
1) Pairings Where you see who you were paired with. Pen Pal 1 will be responsible for reaching out
2) The Taking Points You might notice that the form asked for a lot more than just “the basics”. This is where those come into play! You can look here to see what your pen pals interests are. This is a great place to look to start a conversation!
3) FAQ Here you will find the frequently asked questions, as the name suggests. Please reach out if you have a question that is not listed! This is a work in progress and I’ll be checking goodreads regularly to make sure everything is running smoothly.
The Form
The Spreadsheet
This challenge is open to anyone! Please be honest about your ability to participate (i.e., write/correspond with another person) as someone else will be waiting for you to respond! As always, please be tolerant and open of differences between people. And you never know, this challenge could lead you to your new favorite book or a new best friend!
Looking for a pen pal? Fill out the form!

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (4408) Took part! Thanks for organising this! =)

message 3: by Kaviya (new)

Kaviya (kaviyaarivoli) Filled the form . Thank you :)

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Saint (brandonsaint) | 3 comments Sounds pretty awesome. Done

message 5: by Sukh (new)

Sukh Singh (blue_nerd) | 6 comments Done 👍

message 6: by Yan (new)

Yan Du | 2 comments done with the form!

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Hannah wrote: "So you said there is a challenge that runs for a specific period of time. What is that?"

Hi Hannah! We put on matching challenges for about three months and we do them a couple times throughout the course of a year. The reason it isn't constantly on going is because this concentrates the amount of people who participate at any given time. Secondly, and quite selfishly, these challenges require quite a bit of work to manage with the matching and upkeep (last time we had over 200 participants!). This time, I'm lucky to have some help; Chloe has volunteered to help me out, which I am very appreciative of!

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Done! Thanks a bunch.

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments The initial pairings are up! Once you start writing to your pen pal, please update us on your progress here!

message 10: by Sebsopor (new)

Sebsopor | 5 comments It doesn't let me access the spreadsheet.

message 11: by jessica (new)

jessica (xjessicax) | 4 comments me neither. I think the link may be broken

message 12: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Thanks Jessica and Sebsopor for alerting me! I tried to fix it. Is it working now?

message 13: by Kaviya (new)

Kaviya (kaviyaarivoli) Yes it's working for me . Thanks Zoe for all the effort.

message 14: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Kaviya wrote: "Yes it's working for me . Thanks Zoe for all the effort."

Not a problem! Happy to help (:

message 15: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 20 comments Took part

message 16: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) | 8 comments Signed Up(:

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Filled in the form :) I wrote that I'd prefer email but I'd actually like to change that to snail mail!

message 18: by Sophie Tubbin (new)

Sophie Tubbin Just signed up, I’m so excited! Thanks so much for doing all of this :)

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (poppyrocks) | 5 comments Signed up! Thank you for all your hard work!

message 20: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Michelle wrote: "Filled in the form :) I wrote that I'd prefer email but I'd actually like to change that to snail mail!"

Hi Michelle! Thanks for letting me know (: I've updated your preferences!

message 21: by Brett (new)

Brett Lee Burkeen (brettly) Just filled it out!!

message 22: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments My match's name is just black, without a link. And there are two members with the same name.

message 23: by Jimesh (new)

Jimesh Chokshi (jchokshi) | 1 comments Signed up! Thanks mods!!

message 24: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Adrian wrote: "My match's name is just black, without a link. And there are two members with the same name."

Hey Adrian! Apologies about that - I have updated the pairings with a link to your partner's profile! What did you mean by two members with the same name?

message 25: by Zoe (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments HEY ALL! I hope you are loving the matching challenge so far and have started making some quality connections!

I wanted to let you know that I have created a feedback form for this challenge. This form is a place for you to tell me about any trouble you may be having. Have a suggestion on how to improve the challenge? Fill out the form! Your partner not responding? Fill out the form! Have a general question about being a pen pal? Fill out the form!

click here to fill out the form!

message 26: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) | 10 comments Zoe wrote: "Adrian wrote: "My match's name is just black, without a link. And there are two members with the same name."

Hey Adrian! Apologies about that - I have updated the pairings with a link to your part..."

Thank you! I tried finding the name Tanya in the list of members, but there were two showing.

message 27: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments oh gotcha! happy to help (:

message 28: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Black (ashblack) Hello, I have a question about the mode of correspondence! Once we are paired with our pen pal, It is just a preference, correct? And if, for example, it is snail mail, then I should expect my pen pal to present me with their address so that I can send them letters/goodies/and such? Thanks! So excited!

message 29: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Saint (brandonsaint) | 3 comments Hey Zoe, I don't think the link is working properly.

message 30: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Brandon wrote: "Hey Zoe, I don't think the link is working properly."

Which link?

message 31: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Ashleigh wrote: "Hello, I have a question about the mode of correspondence! Once we are paired with our pen pal, It is just a preference, correct? And if, for example, it is snail mail, then I should expect my pen ..."

Hey there! I try to match people who have a similar preference as far as mode of communication. So in the pairings you should see your partners name and how you're going to communicate. If it's snail mail, you can go ahead and exchange addresses and get writing!

message 32: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments https://goo.gl/forms/CqCCYKX4GXcO3doB3

here's the link for the feedback form!

message 33: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments I'm a newbie and have just signed up.

message 34: by Edna (new)

Edna Staples (asliceofheaven) | 3 comments I signed up kinda of late but this is my first time doing something like this.

message 35: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Therese wrote: "Hi, I just signed up. I am new to this group but excited to take part! When will the matches be posted?"

Hi Therese! I match people on a rolling basis! As people fill out the form I look for a good pairing and a little helper bee helps me update the form! I look at the pairings every 2-3 days!

message 36: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Edna wrote: "I signed up kinda of late but this is my first time doing something like this."

Diana wrote: "I'm a newbie and have just signed up."

Yay! Edna and Diana! We're so happy to have you!

message 37: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments FYI! If you haven't seen yourself as part of a pair yet and you requested a male pen pal, that is the hold up! All of the submissions I have at the moment are female and I'm trying to fulfill your preferences! Please message me if you have any flexibility in that regard!

Lenna the Unicorn Cat (moonlight_reviews) Sounds cool! Filled out the form. Excited to see how this goes!

message 39: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Wow you guys are awesome! I haven't looked at the form lately because I thought it was tapering off... But I've paired at least 10 new people!!

check the sheet soon to see your pairing! Loving the challenge? Get paired again!

message 40: by Gurmehar (new)

Gurmehar (meharkaur) | 5 comments Filled the form.Lets see how it goes..!!

message 41: by Gurmehar (new)

Gurmehar (meharkaur) | 5 comments hey i think i aded only two authors and activities.. plz add geronimo stilton in authors and DIY in activities

message 42: by Gurmehar (new)

Gurmehar (meharkaur) | 5 comments Hi ! i think i have added only two activities and authors.. plz add JK Rowling and DIY and change my activity from watching Tv to drawing/ photography

message 43: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments My match and I have made contact. I'll be writing to her this weekend. Thanks Zoe!

message 44: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 4 comments I have filled out the form

message 45: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Diana wrote: "My match and I have made contact. I'll be writing to her this weekend. Thanks Zoe!"

Yay! I'm so happy to hear that! Hope it's super fun!

message 46: by Pushpinder (new)

Pushpinder (cutemonster) | 5 comments Hi.. I have filled up the form again, lets see how it goes..
though I did not get any matching yet, as I filled this form 15-20 days back also.
Thanks

message 47: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments Pushpinder wrote: "Hi.. I have filled up the form again, lets see how it goes..
though I did not get any matching yet, as I filled this form 15-20 days back also.
Thanks"

Pushpinder, your match is there on the second page of the spreadsheet.

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Gillespie (cynmgill) I filled this out. Was it too late?

message 49: by Laura (last edited Nov 14, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

Laura | 9 comments Well, just filled the form too. I'm kind of nervous, actually :)

message 50: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Guttry Hall (taylorleighgh) | 3 comments I hope you do this again!! I would love to participate!