Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > Greenway - Christie's holiday home

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Aug 29, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Erin Green | 48 comments Last week whilst holidaying in Brigham I visited Christie's holiday home 'Greenway'... it was simply stunning.
We walked about the house, vast gardens and the boat house all of which were beautifully persevered and showcased by the National Trust.

A visit I would highly recommend to anyone but most of all to Christie fans.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/greenway

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 3023 comments The place looks amazing! If I lived in the area (I live in the U.S.A.) I would definitely be visiting it.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4630 comments Mod
Thanks for the link Erin :)

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) Erin wrote: "Last week whilst holidaying in Brigham I visited Christie's holiday home 'Greenway'... it was simply stunning.
We walked about the house, vast gardens and the boat house all of which were beautiful..."

I'm lucky enough to live quite close and go there fairly often. I remember when they first opened it up to the public (2010 perhaps?) and they had volunteers there chatting to visitors about how they were cleaning all the books, and with tours to take us round. Nowadays you just wander round at your own speed.

There's very little parking there so you have to park on the other side of the river and get a little ferry boat across and then walk up through the gardens. Very atmospheric!

One of the things that gave me the shivers though was just the amount of stuff they collected. Cupboards and shelves and cases absolutely stuffed with trinkets, crockery, statuettes, you name it! I'm a declutterer myself and would have itched to clear out some of those cupboards!

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Green | 48 comments Sue - yes, the cupboards are crammed full! I simply loved it. From the house to the gardens to the boat house - it was divine. I would visit again.

message 6: by Rachael (last edited Jan 04, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

Rachael (rachie_reads) | 1 comments Have you read Dead Man's Folly? You can definitely recognise Greenway's house, garden and boathouse in it. I read it after visiting Greenway a couple of years ago - worth a read if you haven't already.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) I didn’t know that Rachael. Thanks!