Nordic Book Club discussion

Spejl, skulder, blink
This topic is about Spejl, skulder, blink
Monthly Discussions > August 2018 - Mirror, Shoulder, Signal

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Aug 29, 2018 10:19AM) (new)

Laura | 20 comments Mod
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the discussion of “Mirror, Shoulder, Signal” by Dorthe Nors at Scandinavia House! We'd love to continue the discussion and hear more about what people thought of the book. Here are some of the questions that interested us -- please feel free to add your own!

1) How was your reading experience? Did you enjoy reading the book? What parts did you enjoy/not enjoy?

2)What did you think of the style of writing? Did the book have a climax?

3)How did you feel about her comparisons between the rural landscape of Jutland and the city of Copenhagen?

4)Were there things that kept appearing throughout the book? If so, what were they? How did Nors talk about the idea of “home” through Sonja’s character?

5)Did/ could you identify with Sonja? What did you think about the supporting characters? E.g. Ellen, Molly, Kate, Frank, Paul, Jytte, Martha and Folke? Sonja’s mom and dad? What did they represent to Sonja?

7)Why do you think Nors decided to make Sonja a translator?

8)What did learning how to drive mean to Sonja? What did Sonja’s Othlithic Vertigo (BPPV) symbolize in the book?

9)Why did Sonja keep talking about the fortune teller?

10)What was she afraid of? What did you think about the ending of the book?

Mirror, Shoulder, Signal

Lily | 2 comments Thanks for leading an interesting discussion of Mirror Should Signal! I would recommend The Invention of Ana by Mikkel Rosengaard as a future book club selection. He gave a book talk at Scandinavia House in February.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments Mod
Lily wrote: "Thanks for leading an interesting discussion of Mirror Should Signal! I would recommend The Invention of Ana by Mikkel Rosengaard as a future book club selection. He gave a book talk at Scandinavia..."

Hi Lily, Thanks for joining the book talk the other night and for the suggestion. It looks like a great book!

message 4: by Randi (new)

Randi | 1 comments is there another Nordic book club hosted by the Scandinavian House? This month they're reading The Girl In The Woods by Camilla Läckberg, but I can't seem to find the information here.

Lily | 2 comments Randi wrote: "is there another Nordic book club hosted by the Scandinavian House? This month they're reading The Girl In The Woods by Camilla Läckberg, but I can't seem to find the information here."

Here's a link to the next book club meeting:

http://www.scandinaviahouse.org/event...

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 20 comments Mod
Randi wrote: "is there another Nordic book club hosted by the Scandinavian House? This month they're reading The Girl In The Woods by Camilla Läckberg, but I can't seem to find the information here."

Hi Randi,

Here is the online discussion for this month's book: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...