The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

SEPTEMBER 2018 THEME > September 2018 Theme: BACK TO SCHOOL

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

I hope you're all having a lovely day, thank you for taking a moment to visit the BookBum Club today! It's a new month, which means a new theme... of course! It's not the most inspired theme this month, but it's fun!

THE THEME FOR SEPTEMBER IS: BACK TO SCHOOL

Reread a "required reading" book you read in school / Read a book that's on school curriculums / Reread a book you read while attending school

So there are a few different ways you could tackle this theme. You could read a book you were made to read as part of your classes, a book that's currently one being made to read in classes or simply a book you personally read during the years you were at school!

If you're struggling to find a book that you could read for this theme, this handy Goodreads list features "Popular High School Required Reading Books": https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

I wanted to open this theme out a little to more of you had the freedom to join in.

~

I'll be reading:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

In my school, girls & boys English classes were split apart and the boys got to read cool stuff like Animal Farm and Of Mice and Men, and us girls had to read Wuthering Heights and Pride & Prejudice (yawn!!!). I always thought that was unfair, so I've decided it's about time I finally read Of Mice and Men!

~

Let us all know what 'back to school' book you'll be delving into this month!

Happy reading folks x

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (bookwyrmknits) | 22 comments I'll be re-reading The Pearl by John Steinbeck in September. I haven't read it since my high school days, but I remember it as the one (and only) Steinbeck novel that I actually enjoyed. (Steinbeck and I don't have a very good relationship.)

I'm curious to see if my memory of liking it still holds true now.

The Pearl by John Steinbeck

message 3: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 17 comments I’ll be reading 1984 by George Orwell. It was an option in my grade 12 English class. I picked A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Now is my chance to finally read the other option! Fun theme!

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I can't for the life of me remember any of the required reading from when I was in school and I didn't read for fun back then so I went through the list on Goodreads and I think I am going to (reread) listen to the audiobook of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and then I think I might also borrow The Great Gatsby from the library.

message 5: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) I'll be reading Romeo and Juliet probably.

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments I haven't fully decided yet, but I'm thinking I will either re-read "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton or I will read "1984" by George Orwell...or I will do both ha-ha!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Best I’m going to read Animal Farm

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex I just had to post to !!!!!! at Zuky's story about the books being assigned by gender at her school - urrgh!

I'm not sure if I'll join in this month as there's anything in my TBR list that fits the criteria, although I have some books about Jane Austen in there so maybe I'll be that extra credit kid!

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Turner | 1 comments Tuck everlasting by natalie babbitt

message 10: by Shawna (new)

Shawna | 2 comments I’m going to finally get around to rereading To Kill a Mockingbird and although I never had to read The Scarlet Letter, I’m sure it’s required reading somewhere!

message 11: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments It's WAY too long ago for me to remember any of the set texts from my school days! Instead I looked at the set texts for the current GSCE English Literature qualification (which was known as O level back in my day). I've chosen The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. I've read quite a few of Graham Greene's books in the past but not for a while so this will be a great excuse.

message 12: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Shawna wrote: "I’m going to finally get around to rereading To Kill a Mockingbird and although I never had to read The Scarlet Letter, I’m sure it’s required reading somewhere!"

The Scarlet Letter was a book my bestie had to read at her school in A-Level English Literature! :-)

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Lee | 2 comments I am going to be reading “There eyes were watching God” it wasn’t required by my high school but I bought the book in high school and it has been in my pile ever since.

Excited to hear how everyone recalls what they’re reading! Fun throwback theme!

message 14: by Trenia (new)

Trenia #loveytime ❤ Upton (loveytimex1f4dax1f516) | 2 comments I am undecided, like others I did not read very much in high school. I'm considering The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton which would be a re-read but also as I have grown older I feel like I have missed out on so much great literature so I may actually read something I missed out on, such as Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.... although I see some of you are talking Scarlett Letter (another miss for me) ....🤔

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "I’m going to read Animal Farm"

great one- I still remember this form high school.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "I’m going to read Animal Farm"

Another great one, I actually remember reading in school.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Jillian wrote: "I am going to be reading “There eyes were watching God” it wasn’t required by my high school but I bought the book in high school and it has been in my pile ever since.

Excited to hear how everyo..."

This was picked as an all county read by a local library here in NYS.It was a good one but I liked the Color Purple better.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I can't decide what to read- so I will look at a bunch and read as many as I can- I may start with Treasure Island or Great Expectations or the Scarlet Letter. and if you haven't read Wonder by Palacio I don't think you should miss it.

message 19: by Shainlock (new)

Shainlock I am hoping to read Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontè and/ or the Black Stallion. One of these I know I already have to read for another book club, and was accelerated reader when I was young. We only had the classics back then. I think they both were on there. :)

message 20: by Trenia (new)

Trenia #loveytime ❤ Upton (loveytimex1f4dax1f516) | 2 comments I decided! Where the Red Fern Grows.

message 21: by RutaMK (new)

RutaMK I will be reading “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D.Salinger since it wasn’t required by my high school and I just bought it recently.

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma Shaw (emmasbibliotreasures) | 5 comments I'm going to read 'The Color Purple' I've had it on my shelf for years so it clears some backlog and fits in with the theme x

message 23: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) Emma wrote: "I'm going to read 'The Color Purple' I've had it on my shelf for years so it clears some backlog and fits in with the theme x"

I wanna read that one!

message 24: by Shainlock (new)

Shainlock Yeah good choice. It got banned. I try to dip into those whenever I can :)

message 25: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I'll be reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling. Many colleges have Harry Potter classes and I've been meaning to finish the series. So perfect timing.

message 26: by Shainlock (new)

Shainlock That is a class I would love to take just for fun!

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I read Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine as a young adult book. I will try to reread something else like Jane Eyre or To Kill a Mockingbird or read for the 1st time Great Expectations and/ or Treasure Island. I have a ton of books I want to read or reread with this theme- maybe we can do it again.Great Choice!

message 28: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Sep 26, 2018 06:54PM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments I read Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza by Gloria E. Anzaldúa! (College freshman currently)

message 29: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I absolutely loved this book and it is now one of my favorites. I feel like this book was a fantastic conclusion to the series. I can definitely see myself rereading this book in the future. I loved how action packed this book was. I loved all of the twists and turns. I loved how complex Lord Voldemort, Albus Dumbledore, and Severus Snape were. I loved how we got to see more of their back stories especially Snape's. I experienced so many emotions while reading this book. I loved how we got to see a peak into our favorite characters' lives nineteen years after the war. "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live with out love." -Albus Dumbledore

View all my reviews