Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 3: Mt. Vancouver (36) > Katharine's climbing again

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments I've made it up Pike's Peak and Mt Blanc so now I'm moving on up. I may not make it to the top but I will give it a go.

So far I have read

1. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
2. The Devil's Feast by M.J. Carter
3. Enemies at Home by Lindsey Davis
4. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
5. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton
6. Holy Terrors by D.M. Greenwood
7. Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms by Gerard Russell
8. The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths
9. Catilina's Riddle by Steven Saylor
10. The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor
11. The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths
12. Daughters of Britannia by Katie Hickman
13. The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
14. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
15. Midnight in Peking by Paul French
16. The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson
17. Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure by Artemis Cooper
18. The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian
19. Wellington: A Journey Round My Family by Jane Wellesley
20. Bess of Hardwick: First Lady of Chatsworth by Mary S. Lovell
21. SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard
22. A Question of Upbringing by Anthony Powell
23. A Very Private Enterprise by Elizabeth Ironside
24. Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch

and now

25. The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home by Natalie Livingstone

A very well written story of 5 women associated with Cliveden House between the 17th century and the 20th. Some parts of the book were more interesting than others but overall I enjoyed it.

message 2: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Back with 2 more which couldn't be more different.

26. The Red House by A.A. Milne

A vintage detective novel from the 1920s. Good witty fun.

27. Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Excellent fantasy novel set in a version of 15th century Europe.

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Oops. I haven't updated this for a while. I hit a sluggish patch in October but I've speeded up again now. Still not sure whether I'm going to make it all the way to the top of Mt Vancouver but I'm still on track.

28. A Buyer's Market by Anthony Powell.

Second volume in A Dance to the Music of Time series. This is more a series of incidents in a life than a complete novel but it is oddly addictive.

29. Joanna: The Notorious Queen of Naples, Jerusalem and Sicily by Nancy Goldstone.

It is difficult to write a biography of a medieval queen but Nancy Goldstone gives it a brave stab.

30. The Acceptance World by Anthony Powell.

A Dance to the Music of Time part three. I'm getting more familiar with the characters as they appear and disappear from the narrator's life.

31. Slow Horses by Mick Herron.

Excellent spy novel. First in a series and I'm keen to read the rest.

32. A Death in the Faculty by Amanda Cross

This has been on my TBR pile for a long time. More interesting for its insight on feminism in late 70s/early 80s American academia than it is as a mystery novel but I enjoyed it.

message 4: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Phew! Made it. Here are my final four for Mt Vancouver.

33. Falconer's Lure by Antonia Forest.

One of a series of children's books that I missed reading as a child so am enjoying hugely now.

34. Murder Underground by Mavis Doriel Hay.

One of the British Library Classic Crime series. Written in the 1930s and very much a period piece. More interesting for the boarding house setting than the actural crime but a fun read.

35. At Lady Molly's by Anthony Powell.

Part 4 of The Dance to the Music of Time with more characters interacting with the narrator as he moves through 1930s London.

36. Kim by Rudyard Kipling.

Some troubling aspects for a modern reader but still a gripping story of 19th century India and a boy growing up and finding his place in the world.

And that's it from me. This has been an excellent experience and some books that have been on my shelves for a very long time have now been read. I'm not sure if I'll join in next year as I have some very long non-fiction books to read and need to set myself some slightly different reading targets, but this has been really helpful. Thanks.

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Congrats on completing your climb!

message 6: by Katharine (new)

Katharine (kathyh256) | 29 comments Jessika wrote: "Congrats on completing your climb!"

Thanks. There was a point where I thought I wasn't going to make it but some shorter books helped me clamber on up.