Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

September - FUNNY BOOKS > Discussion: Comedy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Alright, let's start a discussion on things that make us laugh!

What are some things that make you laugh?
A few things: cute animal videos, my cat, my friends, sitcoms. I live on sarcasm and irony.

Is there a type of humour that doesn't work for you? (e.g. sexist jokes, puns, slapstick)
I MEAN, how can anyone not like puns? No, my type of humour goes far and wide, but I do feel like there is a time and a place. Like when playing Cards Against Humanity, all bets are off. I'm actually a horrible person.

Tell us about another kind of media (a movie, a podcast, a musical) that makes you laugh?
TV shows like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Queer Eye. I love looking for feelgood and wholesome types of media. ♥

Who are your favourite comedians?
Tim Minchin, Gabriel Iglesias, Eddie Izzard, Ellen DeGeneres.

Do you like comedy in all books or does it ruin a serious book for you?
Personally, I use humour as a coping technique, so I like it when they try to lighten the mood with a joke. But again, time and place, etc.

Do you like books that are marketed as funny (e.g. autobiographies from comedians) or do you prefer it when the jokes are a bit more natural (e.g. banter in a scene)?
Ah, both? I love going into a book with the knowledge that I'm about to get a good laugh, but I also love the type of action-packed novels where the humour is just naturally part of it. Books that come to mind are Brandon Sanderson's novels and the Illuminae Files.

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) What are some things that make you laugh?
- lyrics of rap songs (i am giggling everytime there is a curse word, all me childish), memes, gym fail videos, comedy tv shows

Is there a type of humour that doesn't work for you? (e.g. sexist jokes, puns, slapstick)
- when it's forced to be funny. i like when jokes come out naturally.. i really hate parody movies

Tell us about another kind of media (a movie, a podcast, a musical) that makes you laugh?
- Friends and New Girl tv shows are always good! or Ellen Degeneres videos

- i dont have a favorite comedians :/

- when it litghtens the mood and fits there, then yes

Do you like books that are marketed as funny (e.g. autobiographies from comedians) or do you prefer it when the jokes are a bit more natural (e.g. banter in a scene)?
- I prefer natural jokes in books. That's why f.e. My Lady Jane didnt work for me, it was too much

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "What are some things that make you laugh?
- lyrics of rap songs (i am giggling everytime there is a curse word, all me childish), memes, gym fail videos, comedy tv shows

Is there a type of humour ..."

I'm not a fan of parody movies either, it feels like the jokes are way over the top and trying too hard. I adore Friends, New Girl, and Ellen DeGeneres too!

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Has anyone seen Nanette by Hannah Gadsby? It's on Netflix right now. It is SO GOOD.

message 5: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
What are some things that make you laugh?
I love funny movies and tv shows. Funny memes and videos. My siblings and I when we are together always make me laugh.

I am always one to use humor as a way to ice break into conversations but I think there is always times and places for types of humor. So you just have to be considerate of others.

Love Big Bang Theory (though I am an engineer so a lot of the math/science jokes I get). I am also a big fan of comedy movies especially with Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell. Their stupid humor always makes me laugh. I also like some day show hosts like Ellen Degeneres, she is super funny.

To go off from the above question, I love Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell. I really like some of the older Saturday Night Live comedians like Eddie Murphy and Tina Fey.

I think there is always room in books for a little comedy but there is a time and place for it. Like myself, I use comedy as a way to lighten moods, so i don't mind if I see that in serious books.

I honestly don't read or listen to any autobiographies from comedians (though I have heard there are some good ones). They have just never appealed to me. I love banter scenes in books though. If an author can write some good banter scenes or have characters with good senses of humor, I will most likely give that book an extra star just for the good humor scenes.

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "What are some things that make you laugh?
I love funny movies and tv shows. Funny memes and videos. My siblings and I when we are together always make me laugh.

Is there a type of humour that doe..."

I love Adam Sandler! Will Ferrell's movies are often a bit too much for me, but I like them from time to time. Just not too often. ;) And Sandler's recent movies have been... lacking. Though I did really love Blended, have you seen that one?

message 7: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Arika wrote: "What are some things that make you laugh?

Is there a type of h..."

No I haven't seen blended but I might have to put that on my list of movies to watch...I agree though that Will Ferrell can be too much at times. And Adam Sandler hasn't had a really good movie since Just Go With It which also starred Jennifer Aniston.

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Arika wrote: "Inge wrote: "Arika wrote: "What are some things that make you laugh?

Is ther..."

I liked Just Go With It too! Saw it in the movie theatre I think.