Play Book Tag discussion

A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
This topic is about A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax
August 2018: Espionage > A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1612 comments Mrs. Pollifax is a widow who unexpectedly became a CIA agent. This time around she is sent to a clinic in Switzerland where stolen plutonium may have been shipped. Mrs. Pollifax befriends several other people at the clinic including a young boy named Hafez and a jewel thief. This book was written in the 1970’s so parts seem a bit dated, such as giving a briefing using a slide projector, but it was nice looking back to a time when computers and cell phones weren't everywhere. Mrs. Pollifax is always fun and this book is no exception. This whole series is enjoyable.

message 2: by ShazM (new)

ShazM | 389 comments This is one of my favourite Mrs Pollifax stories, I particularly like Hafez and his grandfather. I think Dorothy Gilman was very good at characterization and it makes these books a light, friendly series to read. Goodness only knows the trouble Mrs Pollifax would get into with a mobile phone!

Another great one of hers, which doesn't fit espionage, is A Nun in the Closet A convent inherit some property and send two extremely unworldly nuns to check it out. Corruption and gang rivalry are no match for Sister John and there's some interesting social commentary too.

Rachel N. | 1612 comments ShazM wrote: "This is one of my favourite Mrs Pollifax stories, I particularly like Hafez and his grandfather. I think Dorothy Gilman was very good at characterization and it makes these books a light, friendly ..."

A Nun in the Closet is the first book by Dorothy Gilman that I read. My grandmother gave it to me as a present. I think she thought it was a bit more religious than it is :-). I still have the copy of the book she gave me.