Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #1)
Featured Series and Cozies > Mahalia Watkins (Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles) by A.L. Herbert

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Aug 29, 2018 10:52AM) (new) - added it

Nell | 2867 comments Mod
The theme for September '18 is Food-Restaurant and the featured series is Mahalia Watkins Mystery by A.L. Herbert. The MC is owner of Mahalia's Sweet Tea, a soul food restaurant in Prince George's County, Maryland. The first book in the series is Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles.
Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles by A.L. Herbert

Other books in the series are:
Murder with Macaroni and Cheese by A.L. Herbert Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce (Mahalia Watkins Soul Food Mystery #3) by A.L. Herbert

Murder with Macaroni and Cheese
Murder with Collard Greens and Hot Sauce, coming in March 2019

Discuss any book in the series here.

message 2: by Nell (new) - added it

Nell | 2867 comments Mod
I have the first two books in this series in my TBR. Reading " ..Fried Chicken with Waffles" this month.

Alice | 504 comments Last night I started Murder with Macaroni and Cheese. Great characters. I would to try out the restaurant.

Alice | 504 comments Finished it

Murder with Macaroni and Cheese by A.L. Herbert 4 stars out of 5

If you enjoy food cozies this is a good series. Halia our main character is a strong single business woman in her 40s who runs a restaurant. She has good business sense and sense of family responsibility. Recipes look awesom. This book is number two in the series and very good. Deals with many social issues, bullying, sexuality descrimination. I really enjoyed it Book three comes out early next year.

Chris Enjoyed this book - loved the way the mystery built itself up and it wasn't your normal murder mystery book which I enjoyed...the characters were well fleshed out and had character!! Will be reading all books by this author in series - can't wait to see what happens to them...and the recipes look worth trying!!

Julesy | 398 comments Glad to hear GoodReaders are enjoying the series!

I read the first book a couple of years ago after having found it by happenstance. First of all, it has my favorite food, fried chicken, on the cover! But what drew me immediately to this book was that it takes place in Prince George's County, Maryland, where I grew up for 8 years of my childhood. It was great to read about the places that were so familiar to me. I love the characters, the restaurant, the mystery, everything. It also is also funny and pretty comical.

I can't wait to get the third book when it's released in the spring. The author was hoping it would be released later this year, but I'm just happy it's finally going to be here!

message 7: by Ms. Woc Reader (new)

Ms. Woc Reader Nice to hear a 3rd book is coming out. I read the first two as a welcome change to the usual cozy

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new) - added it

jaxnsmom | 2482 comments Mod
Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles is available for kindle for $.99 on amazon. I just bought it and hope to start it tomorrow.

Chris I read this one and enjoyed it so much. Everything was so different and the restaurant sounded so good - I would go there!! Liked the characters, the plot development, the flow of the talking, the humor - this author is now added to my have to read cozies!!