Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

September - FUNNY BOOKS > Review thread

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
After you've finished your book(s), use this thread to write or post a link to your review below.

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing < spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

message 2: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I've finished My Plain Jane doing a buddy read with the lovely Ashley. I feel like I've missed a lot of references by not having read Jane Eyre, but it was still a really enjoyable read and I had a great time! Though it wasn't as funny as My Lady Jane. I'm giving it a 3.5 out of 5.

message 3: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "I've finished My Plain Jane doing a buddy read with the lovely Ashley. I feel like I've missed a lot of references by not having read Jane Eyre, but it was still a really enjoyable ..."

i think i'll give my plain jane a chance since it wasnt as funny as MLJ. MLJ was too much for me, haha. :)

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "I've finished My Plain Jane doing a buddy read with the lovely Ashley. I feel like I've missed a lot of references by not having read Jane Eyre, but it was still a real..."

Ha, yes! Maybe you'll like MPJ better for it :D

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, which is a very funny memoir about Doughty's time spend as a mortician in a crematorium. I had heard about Doughty and her Youtube channel The Good Death, and her book turned out to be just as interesting and hilarious.
Here is my review, and although morbid subjects aren't your thing: do give this a try :D

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I had finished My Plain Jane about a week ago but forgot to add my review to the thread. It was a decent funny story but definitely not as good as My Lady Jane. You can find my review here. I gave it 3/5 stars.

message 7: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Okay. I've just finished reading one of the funniest books I've picked up all year.

Josh and Hazel's Guide to not Dating by Christina Lauren. You can find my review here but needless to say that I absolutely loved it.

(Much more than Crazy Rich Asians, which I'm not really enjoying and should probably decide is not for me.)

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Sep 23, 2018 03:20AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This week I read The Prince and the Dressmaker, which made me laugh, 'awww' and swoon because of all the sweet moments in the story. I gave it 4 stars and you can read my review of this graphic novel here: definitely a recommendation if you're looking for something adorable to brighten your day/week. :)

message 9: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments Another post including My Lady Jane! I off-handedly picked this up and sped through it in a few days. The humor was pretty good: I didn't have many laugh-out-loud moments, but I was almost always amused. (I love fourth wall breaking, but only when it's done by the characters, not the authors. The authors routinely pausing to talk directly to the audience was one of the shticks I soon got tired of.) That being said, it was super imaginative and a refreshing break from my schoolwork! 4/5