Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

16 views
September - FUNNY BOOKS > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you're currently reading for the book club. Are you enjoying them? Are they making you laugh as much as you hoped they would?


message 2: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
I'm about 29% into My Plain Jane and I'm really enjoying it so far. Not as funny as My Lady Jane, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of references because I haven't read Jane Eyre or any of the Brontë books. I just don't do well with classics. But I'm still liking it. It feels a bit Ghostbusters-y, so I'm singing the theme song in my head while reading it.


message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm now halfway through Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory and it's a lot funnier than I thought, and more informative. It needs to be your cup of tea, but reading about how cremation works is something I find more fascinating than I thought. And although there is a lot of awkward yet hilarious situations with dead bodies, Doughty is very respectful towards the dead and death-culture itself.

A book perfect for this month, but also for your Oktober TBR if you want something 'creepy'.
The author also has her own Youtube channel about the job of Mortician and what comes with it: Doughty is just as good on screen as she writes :)


message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
I'm reading Sunny Side Up: a story of kindness and joy by Susan Calman and it's such a wonderful book. I loved her on Strictly Come Dancing last year. She also wrote a book about her experiences with depression - Cheer Up, Love: Adventures in Depression with the Crab of Hate - and this book is about her being a kinder, more positive person, and how we should spread kindness and joy. I don't know, it just really makes me smile.


message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Puck wrote: "I'm now halfway through Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory and it's a lot funnier than I thought, and more informative. It needs to be your cup of tea, bu..."

I've heard nothing but good things about that book! I tried reading it myself but it got my anxiety rattled 😂


message 6: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "I'm now halfway through Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory and it's a lot funnier than I thought, and more informative. It needs to be your c..."

Than you better put it away and stick to "Sunny Side Up" Inge! 😄 It sounds very uplifting, and I really like the title of her other book. "Adventures with the Crab of Hate" could almost be a fun children's book ;-)


message 7: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Inge, I felt the same way about My Plain Jane as you. Not as funny as My Lady Jane and definitely a Ghostbusters feel to it. All they needed was a carriage with a ghost symbol on the side and they would have been all set! haha


Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I finally started my first book for this month's theme: I'm listening to My Lady Jane. This is so funny. I've laughed out loud a lot already (which can be embarrassing when you're on the train :-s


message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Arika wrote: "Inge, I felt the same way about My Plain Jane as you. Not as funny as My Lady Jane and definitely a Ghostbusters feel to it. All they needed was a carriage with a ghost symbol on the side and they ..."

Haha, yes! There was definitely a Ghostbuster reference or two in there as well.

Natulcien wrote: "I finally started my first book for this month's theme: I'm listening to My Lady Jane. This is so funny. I've laughed out loud a lot already (which can be embarrassing when you're o..."

I'm so happy you're enjoying this! Sorry for the embarrassment on the train :D


back to top