Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

September - FUNNY BOOKS > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Your new theme is BOOKS THAT MAKE ME LAUGH.

This is a nice one, isn't it? Some light, pleasant reading. People are joking, making the kind of comebacks you usually only think of 24 hours later. For this theme, I'll be reading:

- My Plain Jane
- The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance

I really loved some other books by these authors, so I'm sure I'll have a great time with these two! For the record, they don't have to be "haha funny" books. If you enjoy something action-packed where the characters' banter makes you laugh, that counts too.

Happy reading!

What will you be reading?

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is on my shortlist for 2018, so if there's any September left after I finish my current read, this may be a good time to pick that one up. (Just started Jane Eyre, so I'll probably be in the mood for a lighter read :) )

message 3: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This month I'm starting with my master degree and I'm totally ready to start! (not really. Kind of nervously excited 😅). So I could really use some books to laugh about.

So I'm planning to read:
- Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory, which is kind of dark humor about death? I don't know, I'm curious to see how funny this book turns out to be.
- The Importance Of Being Earnest, which will be a re-read for me, but it's such a silly play: it will definitely make me laugh! :D (if anyone wants to buddy-read, let me know!)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I'm not sure yet if I'll get to any funny books because I want to read The Shadow of What Was Lost (I didn't get around to it in August and it's a 600+ pages book and I start teaching again tomorrow), but if I do, I might listen to either My Lady Jane or The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. Or I might (finally) pick up The Colour of Magic.

message 5: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments I'm going to try to get to My Lady Jane as well, and also The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud!

message 6: by Angela (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:40AM) (new)

Angela | 40 comments I have the audiobook of the fabulous Better than Life to listen to. I've read all the Red Dwarf before but the audios are great as they are narrated by Chris Barrie (Rimmer in the TV show).

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "I have the audiobook of the fabulous Better than Life to listen to. I've read all the Red Dwarf before but the audios are great as they are narrated by Chris Barrie (Rimmer in the TV s..."

A silly scifi story sounds perfect Angela! I listen to more podcasts than audiobooks, but I know how wonderful listening to a story can be. ^^

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Sep 03, 2018 02:04AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Eleanor wrote: "I'm going to try to get to My Lady Jane as well, and also The Whispering Skull by Jonathan Stroud!"

The Jonathan Stroud books are on my TBR as well! I love a fun spooky series, and this just sounds so good...maybe I'll save it for October ;)

And seeing as there are now 2 people wanting to read My Lady Jane: just a reminder that - apart from our own book-of-the-month - readers can always decide to buddy-read another book together! Spread the laughter and bookish joy :D

message 9: by Crystal♛ (new)

Crystal♛ (ladycrystallynn) | 4 comments I will be reading P.S. I Still Love You ! The first one was cute and funny. I am not far into this one yet but so far it has made me giggle! :)

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Crystal♛ wrote: "I will be reading P.S. I Still Love You ! The first one was cute and funny. I am not far into this one yet but so far it has made me giggle! :)"

Did you watch the TATBILB movie, Crystal? :D

message 11: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I want to re-read Percy Jackson's Greek Gods - i laughed to many times when I read it last time

message 12: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I want to re-read Percy Jackson's Greek Gods - i laughed to many times when I read it last time"

Excellent choice!

message 13: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I just started reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. It has a dry, sarcastic humor to it that isn't too edgy for the common reader to enjoy. The book came highly recommended by a friend, and I can't wait to thank them for the copy they lent me. At this point, I would definitely recommend.

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Calina wrote: "I just started reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. It has a dry, sarcastic humor to it that isn't too edgy for the common reader to enjoy. The book came highly recommended by a friend, and I can't wai..."

Pratchett is a definite winner for this theme. I haven't read any of his books yet, but hear they are very funny.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 58 comments Inge wrote: "Calina wrote: "I just started reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. It has a dry, sarcastic humor to it that isn't too edgy for the common reader to enjoy. The book came highly recommended by a friend, ..."

Agreed. Him and Douglas Adams are the only ones that have ever made me laugh out loud on a crowded tram (which is a bit awkward...).