The Bookworm Challenge discussion

GETTING TO KNOW THE WORMS > How do you you choose your next book?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Connie (new)

Connie Cote | 499 comments Mod
Just curious:
How do you choose which book to read next when you finish one?
Do you check the challenges (yearly or monthly) and find a book that fits?
Do you have a TBR list and stick to it?
Maybe a combination of both?
I usually have a list that I start out the year wanting to read. I start with those and many will fall into one of the categories. I will also make sure to find a couple for the monthly specials. Later on in the year, I am more likely to check the list of challenges first and try to find books to fit. I am also a person that has several different books on the go at once. How about you?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) | 661 comments Mod
If you've looked at my GR profile and shelves, you'll know that my TBR list is enormous... I just can't stop adding to it!

Since I joined this group a few years ago, I use the challenges to find my next read, and use my TBR list or the Listopia feature on GoodReads to fill whichever category I'm looking for. I'm constantly adding to my TBR, usually based on reviews from GR friends or articles I've read about popular books.

There are certain authors that I read almost as soon as new books come out, like the Flavia de Luce mysteries. I got lucky that we had a category that it fit into!

message 3: by Connie (new)

Stephanie wrote: "If you've looked at my GR profile and shelves, you'll know that my TBR list is enormous... I just can't stop adding to it!

Since I joined this group a few years ago, I use the challenges to find m..."

I understand about the constantly growing TBR list. Also, when the Canada Reads list comes out I try read all of those and then the Giller Prize list and then...

message 4: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 310 comments I always have an audiobook I'm listening to and at least one ebook I'm reading. I occasionally read physical books. I try my best to read books that I already own, but the library (specifically Overdrive!) is my weakness. :) I'm very fortunate to belong to a wonderful library system. I get book recommendations from friends, Goodreads, and booktubers.

I have an ongoing list of books that fit the yearly challenges. Once the monthly special is announced, I look through what I own and see what fits. I make a TBR list and try to stick to that. Sometimes I'm very good at sticking to it and other times I throw it all out and just read whatever I feel like. :)

I also participate in a couple of other challenges (Popsugar is one), but they are a lower priority than Bookworm Challenge. I confess I'm a bit burned out from challenges and may not participate in any next year.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Rhonda wrote: "...I also participate in a couple of other challenges (Popsugar is one), but they are a lower priority than Bookworm Challenge. I confess I'm a bit burned out from challenges and may not participate in any next year. "

I was all about trying to get all the yearlong and specials completed when I first joined. I know you and I are both overachievers in that respect, Rhonda! I also started to get a little burned out trying to get them all done but Rebecca and Melki pointed out that most folks don't actually complete the yearlong challenges anyway! Now I use the categories as opportunities to go outside of my comfort zone to find new stuff and to see what other books people are reading.

I'm trying to think how we can change up category selections this year to include those that may not fit our usual choices. Maybe instead of top twelve, we'll go with top six and bottom six???? We'll try to keep it interesting!

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (callie4) | 234 comments I am continually adding to my TBR list, but it is mostly a written list. I do have TBR lists on Goodreads and Overdrive. I look through the lists to see if any fit a challenge and look on the Goodreads listopia for ideas for challenges. Then it is whatever the library has available. I usually have an audio book, an ebook, and a physical book, plus one other physical book on my nightstand. When a book I really want to read comes out I read it no matter if it fits a challenge, such as the new Cormoran Strike book coming out next month. Can't wait! I would like to concentrate more on quality than quantity. I end up reading books I don't really like just because they fit a challenge.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Wanda wrote: "When a book I really want to read comes out I read it no matter if it fits a challenge, such as the new Cormoran Strike book coming out next month. Can't wait! ..."

I know, me too! I can't wait! Have you watched the TV show?

message 8: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (callie4) | 234 comments Stephanie wrote: "Wanda wrote: "When a book I really want to read comes out I read it no matter if it fits a challenge, such as the new Cormoran Strike book coming out next month. Can't wait! ..."

I know, me too! I..."

No, we canceled cable a few years ago. Have to wait for Netflix. But I usually like the book better than the movie or tv show.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 49 comments I usually would pick books mostly based on challenges but I got into a few too many and burned myself out. I'm only in this one and one other and I'm not doing as well as I was a couple months ago. Mostly because I have a pile of books on my end table and recommendations that I've been wanting to read for a long time but they never fit any challenges. I've been reading more of those lately because people keep asking how I liked a book and I get tired of constantly saying I haven't read it yet because I feel like they just get frustrated with me and won't recommend any more. I don't want that because I LOVE chatting books with other readers!!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 222 comments I usually just follow the TBR list. If I'm not in the mood for the very next book on the list, I will pick one of the challenges and see which ones on my list fit, and then pick the one thats been on the list the longest. I try not to force myself to finish a book that isn't working for me, or to feel pressured to add a book to my list because it's super popular. For example hunger games, I finally caved and read it even though I was meh about it beforehand, and it was fine, but I felt like i should have just read something I thought I would REALLY enjoy. Of course it's hard to tell--i'm sure I've missed out on some books I would have loved and I'll never know lol. There's just soooo many books! Generally I'll give a book about 50 pages. If nothings happening yet but I feel like the premise sounded so good, I'll jump to page 100 and read a bit there. Still nothing? Toss aside. Life's too short! If it's a really long book, I'll give it a hundred pages maybe, because some of those chunksters are gems that are so worth getting past a slow beginning.

message 11: by Connie (new)

Stephanie wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "...I also participate in a couple of other challenges (Popsugar is one), but they are a lower priority than Bookworm Challenge. I confess I'm a bit burned out from challenges and may..."

I like that idea! Sometimes I find a whole new genre that I like, just from trying it for a challenge.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 49 comments I've been telling myself that I need to quit forcing myself to finish books. Life is too short and there are too many good books. My biggest fear is that I'm going to miss an incredible ending that just makes the whole book....but I need to get over that and just move on. That is my current little life goal and if I'm doing challenges it makes it even more difficult for me to not finish because I've already invested time in the book *sigh*

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda Hanson | 171 comments I have a bookshelf of books that i want to read and then leave my house . I call it my consumables shelf. So I first look at that to choose from. This is my first year to do challenges. My friend Rhonda always told me about her book challenges and I was intrigued so I decided to join. I’m doing thus one, the Popsugar, and the alphabet challenge. These challenges have caused me to do less of my normal romances and go outside my normal genre. I’ve been very influenced by the monthly challenges to look at audiobooks from my library that fit the challenge. I walk my dogs at least 4 times a day, so having books on my library wishlist that fit , make it super easy to go to the next book as we walk. I have an audiobook, a book on cd in my car, and a physical book going on at the same time. Audiobooks make my housekeeping and dog walks go so much better. I’m feeling super consumed by challenges this year and don’t know if I’ll do all of them next year.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 222 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've been telling myself that I need to quit forcing myself to finish books. Life is too short and there are too many good books. My biggest fear is that I'm going to miss an incredible ending that..."

For the books I toss aside, if I really wanna know the ending I google it lol! Sometimes I just can't not know what happens, but the reading is so unenjoyable.. must know the ending!! lol

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer J. | 49 comments That's an AMAZING idea!! Thank you!!

message 16: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 310 comments Stephanie wrote: "Wanda wrote: "When a book I really want to read comes out I read it no matter if it fits a challenge, such as the new Cormoran Strike book coming out next month. Can't wait! ..."

I know, me too! I..."

Have you seen the TV show, Stephanie? Is it on BBC? I adore that series and am so excited about the new one coming out!

message 17: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 04, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Rhonda wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Wanda wrote: "When a book I really want to read comes out I read it no matter if it fits a challenge, such as the new Cormoran Strike book coming out next month. Can't wait! ..."
..."

I have not seen it, but I looked it up and I can watch past episodes on demand. It looks cool, each book has a set of episodes. I think the first book has two episodes, the second has three episodes, and the third has two episodes, so not really a full-blown series but more like TV productions of each book. I hope to have some time soon to watch them!

Oh, and yes, it is on BBC, it's called "Strike".

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments I missed this discussion back in August, so I have to throw in my 2 cents now. I go at the reading bass-ackwards, I guess. I read whatever looks interesting at the moment I need another book, and look later to see if any of my reads fit the challenges :) And my TBR pile usually just sits there and I don’t think about checking it when I’m on the library web site hunting for me next book!

As for not finishing... I’m not very good at that. I’m trying to teach myself to dump books I’m not engaged with, but I don’t like to. Sometimes I just let them expire (if library books) and that makes the decision for me.

message 19: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 66 comments I normally consult lists when I don't have a specific target in mind and want to branch out. I normally use ebooks from the library, so a lot of the time, i see an interesting associated title and hop onto that. I normally end up making lists when i start a section but i tend to lose interest depending on how busy i am so jump back and forth.
It helps to be part of a group because that, at least, forces me to stick to my reading goals. I also keep an eye out on groups like this because otherwise i might just end up sticking to the same genre (or even writing style) instead of expanding my experience with the different types of books, authors, and writing styles.