Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > When you're not reading a cozy....

Comments (showing 2,451-2,500 of 6,020) (6020 new)    post a comment »

message 2451: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I just started The Sixth Man by David Baldacci

message 2452: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle I read anything and everything so I can never say what I might be reading if I'm not reading a cozy but right now I am reading Sacre Bleu By Christopher Moore.

message 2453: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments I finished The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass and Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth. On to Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12) by Rachel Caine.

message 2454: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments Finished Angels and Demons and have started Beggarman, Thief which I'm reading before I forget too much of Rich Man, Poor Man.

message 2455: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I am currently reading Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer, very hard book to put down

message 2456: by Erin L (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) | 503 comments Melodie wrote: "I finished The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass and Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth. On to Night World, No. 3 Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (Night World, #7-9) by L.J. Smith."

How did you like "The Selection?" I've read some reviews of it that make me think I probably would just get frustrated with it so I'm a little wary.

message 2457: by Erin L (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) | 503 comments Have Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton waiting on my eReader.

message 2458: by Melodie (last edited May 12, 2012 06:04PM) (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Erin wrote: "Melodie wrote: "I finished The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass and Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth. On to Night World, No. 3 Huntress, Black Dawn, Witchlight (Night World, #7-9) by L.J. Smith."

How did you like "The Selection?" I've read some reviews of it that make me think I..."

I actually liked THE SELECTION. It was a pretty quick read, too. I'm interested to see where the conflict is going. I also liked INSURGENT, which was surprising to me since I really didn't like the first in the trilogy, DIVERGENT, all that much. Also, the BLACK DAWN I'm reading isn't the one that's pictured here! I'm reading the one by Rachel Caine, which is the newest in the Morganville Vampires series!

message 2459: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading Rally 'Round Green. This is the 4th book in the Green series by Judy Christie...I've been enjoying this series very much!

message 2460: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments Chipping away at A Hope Undaunted but I don't know if I want to continue this series. The book is okay but not fascinating. Also started The First Excellence which may be fascinating.

message 2461: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Erin wrote: "Have Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton waiting on my eReader."

I used to love the Anita Blake books. They were great up until about OBSIDIAN BUTTERFLY. Then they just got weird and started reading like Penthouse Forum..... and BAD Penthouse Forum at that!

message 2462: by Susan (new)

Susan | 15 comments I will be starting The Witness by Nora Roberts very shortly.

message 2463: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7635 comments Mod
Started The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings, not very far into it yet.

message 2464: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 846 comments Just started Summer Breeze by Nancy Thayer Thayer is always good for a beach read. I really enjoy her books.

message 2465: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Finished Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12) by Rachel Caine, and loved it! Just starting Balthazar by Claudia Gray.

message 2466: by Susan (new)

Susan | 95 comments I am reading Before the Poison by Peter Robinson. Before the Poison A Novel by Peter Robinson

message 2467: by Heather L (new)

Finished The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings last night (good book!) and started Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie #11. Yes, I am a year behind, and anticipate the latest book, Deadlocked, coming my way soon from a friend. The nice thing about the Sookie books is that they are usuallf fast reads.

message 2468: by Karen M (last edited May 19, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

Karen M | 982 comments Heather L wrote: "Finished The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings last night (good book!) and started Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie #11. Yes, I am a year behind, and anticipate the latest book, Deadlocke..."

LOL You think you are behind! I just finished #3 Club Dead!! Have to agree the read was really fast, started yesterday finished this afternoon.

message 2469: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Karen M wrote: "Heather L wrote: "Finished The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings last night (good book!) and started Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie #11. Yes, I am a year behind, and anticipate the late..."

So, that means you have #4 next up! That's my favorite in the whole series!

message 2470: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2302 comments Melodie wrote: "Karen M wrote: "Heather L wrote: "Finished The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings last night (good book!) and started Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie #11. Yes, I am a year behind, and ant..."

Oh I agree Melodie - #4 was absolutely the best! And it's when I became a huge Eric fan! :)

message 2471: by Heather L (new)

Karen M: LOL...came late to the series, did we?

I admit, I jumped in after book seven was published. A couple people kept recommending them, so when I saw the 7-book box set for less than half price on Amazon, I decided to give it a shot. I was so glad I'd bought the box set, as I literally inhaled them over the next two weeks.

Melodie and Jennifer: Dead to the World (Book #4) was really good, though I had started to like Eric before that. I confess, I never liked Bill from the beginning.

I am already 66% done with Dead Reckoning, will probably finish by end of today as hoped.

message 2472: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Karen M wrote: "Heather L wrote: "Finished The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings last night (good book!) and started Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, Sookie #11. Yes, I am a year..."

I was ALWAYS a huge Eric fan! I always thought Bill was a weenie! (He's a weenie on True Blood, too!)

message 2473: by Heather L (new)

Agreed! :-D

message 2474: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (LadyVictoria5) | 219 comments Finished "Dead in the Family" Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris. I didn't think I would like this sort of series (vampires) but I'm hooked! I try to spread these out so I have one to look forward to but just can't do it.

message 2475: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2302 comments I was never so much a fan of Bill, but in the first three books Eric isn't all that likeable. Book 4 made him the rightful lead male. :)

message 2476: by Heather L (last edited May 20, 2012 07:33PM) (new)

Finished Dead Reckoning. Maybe it's just me, but I really wanted to slap a few characters in this one, starting with Amelia and Alcide adn ending with Bill and Eric. Sigh... Good book, though. I'll have the most recent book in my hands after next weekend.

I also picked up on something in this book that I completely missed last year when I read the Shakespeare series, and that was the crossover of characters from one series to another. That would be PIs Jack and Lily (Bard) Leeds.

I read the Shakespeare series after the book in which the Pelts hire the Leeds to find out what happened to daughter Debbie (forget which one that was), so you'd think I would have made the connection last year reading the Shakespeare books, but no. Caught it immediately in this one, when the couple appear in Merlotte's on page 113 (hardcover edition).

message 2477: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments Heather L wrote: "Karen M: LOL...came late to the series, did we?

I admit, I jumped in after book seven was published. A couple people kept recommending them, so when I saw the 7-book box set for less than half pr..."

(Hanging my head in shame) I thought it was too YA! LOL Miscalculation on my part. I'll be reading #4 in a week or so, I hope.

message 2478: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "I was never so much a fan of Bill, but in the first three books Eric isn't all that likeable. Book 4 made him the rightful lead male. :)"

Toward the end of three I decided I liked Eric and I already have doubts about Bill. Alcide, I think I'm in love. LOL

message 2479: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Karen M wrote: "❂ Jennifer wrote: "I was never so much a fan of Bill, but in the first three books Eric isn't all that likeable. Book 4 made him the rightful lead male. :)"

Toward the end of three I decided I ..."

I'm DEFINITELY in love with Alcide on True Blood! That man.....OMG!! YUM!!

message 2480: by ❂ Jennifer (last edited May 21, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2302 comments Is True Blood good beyond season 1? I watched season 1, wanting to love it, but what they did to some of the characters... I mean, Jason's not the sharpest knife in the block, but on True Blood they turned him into a lobotomised idiot! So I haven't gone past season 1.

Should I dive into season 2? It is worth it?

ETA: It does without saying that it's worth it to watch the rest of the season's for Eric alone, but since he's not on screen all the time... ;-)

message 2481: by Heather L (last edited May 22, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

A friend and I recently spent a weekend watching season two, haven't seen season three yet. In season one, aside from a few "minor" changes, they pretty much stuck with the plot of the first book...up until the last two or three episodes.

To say season two deviates a lot more is a major understatement. The screenwriters took a lot more liberties with the story, changing some things so that they will be forced to change later seasons so they come nowhere near the plot of the books. And while we don't see an explicit sex scene involving Jason in every episode as we did season one, well...it still gets rather explicit in some episodes.

(view spoiler)

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I loved seeing Bubba again, after not seeing him in the last several books.

message 2482: by Heather L (new)

Currently reading: Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, the first in her Alpha and Omega series.

message 2483: by Mary (new)

Mary Well, I didn't finish it, but the last book I read was Seeing. It was a pick for book club and it was just so discouraging.

message 2484: by Karen L (last edited May 22, 2012 01:07PM) (new)

Karen L (goodreadscomkarenl) I finished Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole on Sunday. It has a romance between a werewolf and a witch. Great romance and action parts in it. Also, if you like "True Blood" you might check out Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson if you have not yet.

message 2485: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Is True Blood good beyond season 1? I watched season 1, wanting to love it, but what they did to some of the characters... I mean, Jason's not the sharpest knife in the block, but on True Blood th..."

Season 2 was a bit "out there", but worth watching. Liked season 3, and last season, season 4, was excellent, IMHO. Suffice it to say, you get a bit of what you got in book 4. I'm looking forward to the new season starting 6/10.

message 2486: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Karen L wrote: "I finished Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole on Sunday. It has a romance between a werewolf and a witch. Great romance and action parts in it. Also, if you like "True Blood" you migh..."

I used to love the Queen Betsy books by MaryJanice Davidson. But UNDEAD & UNWELCOME and UNDEAD & UNFINISHED were so supremely awful that I gave up on the series.

message 2487: by ❂ Jennifer (new)

❂ Jennifer  (jennevans) | 2302 comments Thanks Heather and Melodie (and thanks for the spoilers Heather - both those plot points would have pi$$ed me off if they were 'sprung' on me - at least now if I start watching again I'll know to be prepared.

Melodie - you have me considering just jumping right to season 4! :D

message 2488: by Heather L (new)

Jennifer: Most welcome, and while it didn't necessarily tick us off, we were wondering what the heck the writers were thinking, and if reading the entire series had ever crossed their collective minds.

Karen L: I have read all but the most recent two MJD "Betsy" books. I've also liked her Werewolves and Fred the Mermaid series, and recently piked up Me, Myself and Why? at the UBS but haven't had the chance to get to it yet. Too many good books out there!

Not that I got any reading done tonight--I had to watch the Dancing With the Stars finale--this is the first season I've followed, and only to see Donald Driver win...which he did. Whoooo! :-D

message 2489: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments ❂ Jennifer wrote: "Thanks Heather and Melodie (and thanks for the spoilers Heather - both those plot points would have pi$$ed me off if they were 'sprung' on me - at least now if I start watching again I'll know to b..."

You could totally skip season 2 and really miss nothing. But I'd recommend watching season 3 before season 4 as there are some things in those 2 that are related. Season 4 comes out on DVD on Tuesday!

message 2490: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments Melodie wrote: "Karen M wrote: "❂ Jennifer wrote: "I was never so much a fan of Bill, but in the first three books Eric isn't all that likeable. Book 4 made him the rightful lead male. :)"

Toward the end of th..."

Okay, just looked up True Blood on IMDB, Perfect Alcide!!!! LOL

message 2491: by Karen L (new)

Karen L (goodreadscomkarenl) Melodie wrote: "Karen L wrote: "I finished Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole on Sunday. It has a romance between a werewolf and a witch. Great romance and action parts in it. Also, if you like "True..."

Melodie, I know you do not mind reading YA books so I was wondering have you tried the "House of Night" novels starting with Marked by P.C. Cast or Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead?

Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

message 2492: by Andrea (last edited May 24, 2012 01:55PM) (new)

Andrea (Hermia) | 47 comments I just started Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier by Daphne du Maurier. I have seen the Hitchcock movie but had never read the book. It's great so far.
I am also reading The Complete Poems by Emily Dickinson. What an amazing body of work.

message 2493: by Heather L (new)

I read Rebecca years ago and loved it. Enjoy the rest of the book!

message 2494: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 982 comments I'm reading Without Any Warning: Samantha Jamison Mystery which is the 2nd book in the series. The 1st book was kind of eh but I thought since I have the 2nd & 3rd on my Kindle I would give it a try. So far kind of convoluted but we'll see. I'm also reading the sequel to The Thirty Nine Steps: 1400 Headwords, Greenmantle which is so good and I already downloaded the 3rd book!! Yes, I am trying to get caught up/finish a bunch of series books which leads me to Sizzling Sixteen which I started today.

message 2495: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5067 comments Karen L wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Karen L wrote: "I finished Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night by Kresley Cole on Sunday. It has a romance between a werewolf and a witch. Great romance and action parts in it. Also, i..."

Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast is the only book in the House of Night series that I read and I detested it! I had some really strong opinions about that one! I read all the Vampire Academy books. They were a bit up & down, but on the whole not bad.

message 2496: by Karen L (last edited May 27, 2012 10:41AM) (new)

Karen L (goodreadscomkarenl) Thanks Melodie, I have read some of the House of Night novels and I have liked some of them. As for the Vampire Academy novels, I have not read any of them and wondering about them.

message 2497: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 846 comments I'm reading Reticence of Ravens by M.M. Gornell. I don't know why, but it seems like it has kind of a haunting quality to it. Really enjoying it.
Reticence of Ravens by M.M. Gornell

message 2498: by [deleted user] (new)

Getting ready to start The Horse God Built. Thought that was a very appropriate read being two weeks out from I'll Have Another trying to become the 12th Triple Crown winner and join Secretariat in very elite company!

message 2500: by Linda (new)

Linda | 319 comments Tonight I started Alison Gaylin's And She Was A Novel of Suspense by Alison Gaylin It's so deliciously suspenseful that I can't to get further into it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No One Here Gets Out Alive (other topics)
Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (other topics)
Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses (other topics)
The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band (other topics)
Obsessive Genius: The Inner World of Marie Curie (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christine Holden (other topics)
Charlie Newton (other topics)
Stephanie Grace Whitson (other topics)
Lynne Truss (other topics)
Debbie Macomber (other topics)
More...