Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

The Books > The Corinthian

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 516 comments The cross-dressing motif is a favorite of mine, which is only one reason I like this book. Pen's interactions with Piers and Lydia are a stitch. It also has one of the funniest one-word lines I know of (although of course it needs the context to get its effect): Sir Richard's "Again?"

message 2: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Aha! Never mind my last question. I've found the topic!
It's been too long since I read The Corinthian. I'm going to have to go find a copy ASAP since I just don't remember it very well. It's been, gulp, decades.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hortencia wrote: "'The Corinthian' - yet another wondeful Heyer creation. Sir Richard and Pen are a lot of fun, and Heyer weaves her tale with her usual skill. "

Admittedly, I've only been able to read 3 Heyers so far, but The Corinthian was my favorite by far! Then ending was just so sweet!

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Jan 21, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hi Hortencia,
I've read The Nonesuch and Faro's Daughter. Both were good to varying degrees, but The Corinthian was by far the best.

I plan on reading more Heyer during 2010, so which of the Heyer's that you mentioned would you recommend?

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments If you like feisty heroines try Arabella or Venetia or Frederica.

message 6: by Cel (new)

Cel Jel | 12 comments I loved Frederica as a teenager - though she was great!

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments If you like feisty heroines try Arabella or Venetia or Frederica.Or Sprig Muslim has a similar theme to the Corinthian with a nice twist.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire | 46 comments sorry posted same comment twice. I had to check on The Convenient Marriage on Amazon.

message 9: by Hannah (last edited Jan 22, 2010 07:43AM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hortencia wrote: "How did you find 'Faro's Daughter' and 'The Nonesuch'? I've barely started the latter, but am already enjoying it. Heyer really knows how to get the ball rolling on a story. 'Faro's Daughter' I have no idea of what to expect. Are there any other Heyer books that you're hoping to read?..."

Hmm, out of the 3, Faro's Daughter was the weakest IMO. The romance between the two didn't fully develop and by the end I was still unconvinced of their attraction to each other. I gave it 2 stars, and wouldn't re-read it again. The Nonesuch was better. I liked that the heroine was older, quiet, and a governess. I appreciated that the hero fell in love with her because of her maturity and grace. It was a solid 3 stars, and a good book, but not frothy and bubbly like The Corinthian.

I would probably like The Convenient Marriage very much. I happen to like highwaymen :), and if it has the same kind of sparkle as The Corinthian, then it's for me. I had already put A Civil Contract on my TBR pile a few months ago, mainly for the very reason's you listed. As I'm middle aged also, I like reading stories that show a bit more depth and solidity and perhaps a more realistic view of marriage. Actually, I straddle the line on this, as I'm the mom of a 15 year old daughter and I also read her current recommendations (with all the typical YA obsessions with boys, makeup, friend problems, etc.) I guess between the 2 it keeps me grounded somewhere in the middle!

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahr) Hortencia wrote: "I have a 16-year-old who is also into all of the YA stuff. And while I've read some of the same books she has, I have to admit that I haven't read the Twilight series yet and am not sure whether I ever will! I am admittedly a big Harry Potter fan and am afraid that Twilight (from what I've heard and having suffered through the first two movies) pales in comparison...."

I totally understand where you are coming from! I didn't think I would enjoy Twilight, but my daughter was so ga-ga over it that I had to see what the fuss was about. I can only speak from my own reaction, but there was just *something* about it that captivated me. Not well written, but page turning storytelling that had me up to the wee hours of the morning. I can't explain it. You either experience it or not. The next 2 books were so-so, and the final book was so hideously bad that I still can't believe I invested time in it!

Harry Potter is a gem of a series. I love escaping to Rowling's world and it will always have a special place in my heart for instilling a love of reading in my daughter :)

message 11: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I, too, love Harry and lots of young people's books, including the Narnia Chronicles, but I just haven't been able to work up any enthusiasm for the Twilight series. I'm glad that perhaps I'm not missing much.
Back to "A Civil Contract" -- still one of my favorites. I like intelligence in my heroines and they don't all have to be wide-eyed and kittenish (although Kitten always makes me laugh in "Friday's Child")

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments And I just ordered a copy of "The Corinthian"!

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I enjoyed (of course) "The Corinthian". The plot twists of stolen "diamonds" and the murder of a nasty, mean-spirited weasel, along with the girl-dressing-as-a-boy theme made for good times.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments Hortencia wrote: "Hi, Hannahr. I guess it depends on what you like. I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Convenient Marriage', which was smart and funny, but a friend of mine wasn't as keen on it since there's a part (or two) ..."

Faro's Daughter should be the my best read. It was as funny as grand Sophie.

message 15: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee (qquiet) | 39 comments I loved The Corinthian because of the ending.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Why? Without giving too much away, why do you enjoy the ending so much? This is my next Heyer read :)

message 17: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Soph wrote: "Why? Without giving too much away, why do you enjoy the ending so much? This is my next Heyer read :)"

I've read her spoiler, and it can be summed up (I think) as that she really like Richard's character and sense of honour. Hope you enjoy The Corinthian too!

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Thanks!! I am looking forward to it!

message 19: by Teresa (last edited Dec 12, 2012 05:29PM) (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments Veronica wrote: "Faro's Daughter should be the my best read. It was as funny as grand Sophie. "

Faro's Daughter was one of the first Heyers I read, so it's a sentimental favorite of mine.

Soph wrote: "Thanks!! I am looking forward to it!

The mix of romance, comedy, and mystery in The Corinthian is a lot of fun, and I love the way that Richard's character develops from bored with his life to full engaged. I think you will enjoy it too!

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 422 comments Claire wrote: "If you like feisty heroines try Arabella or Venetia or Frederica.Or Sprig Muslim has a similar theme to the Corinthian with a nice twist."

I love that, Claire , Sprig Muslim. The mind boggles as they say ......

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments :D

message 22: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee (qquiet) | 39 comments Soph wrote: "Why? Without giving too much away, why do you enjoy the ending so much? This is my next Heyer read :)"

You'll just have to find out, I guess.(i'm an annoying tease!) :D

But Hj is also right :)

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments A big tease!! ;)