Loosely Bound Book Club discussion

Important stuff > Book Club pick suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylanthereader5) | 67 comments Mod
What are some books you'd want us to read in the upcoming months? We mostly prefer newish releases, but older ones are fine too!

P.S. since we are also going on host's tastes, we currently are only really looking for contemporaries (not smut), thrillers, and some fantasy.

message 2: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Andrews (beabookworm) (brittneyandrews) | 2 comments Dylan wrote: "What are some books you'd want us to read in the upcoming months? We mostly prefer newish releases, but older ones are fine too!

P.S. since we are also going on host's tastes, we currently are on..."

I just picked up Bonfire by Krysten Ritter. It's a mystery/thriller novel. It looks interesting--plus, Gillian Flynn blurbed it 😈!

Bonfire by Krysten Ritter

message 3: by Brandi (new)

Brandi  | 2 comments Heretics Anonymous.. maybe? 🤷🏼‍♀️

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennascreativecorner) | 8 comments JT Ellison’s new thriller was just released today called Tear Me Apart! I’d really like to read it. Dance of Thieves, These Rebel Waves, Heretics Anonymous, Give Me Your Hand, I Am Still Alive, Sea Witch, The Kiss Quotient, All We Ever Wanted... Those are just a few new 2018 releases I’m interested in. Quite ambitious, I know! Haha.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Girard | 9 comments Summer of salt by Katrina Leno
City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab
The surface breaks by Louise O’Neill
Girl made of stars by Ashley Herring Blake

Erin (_everysecondbook) I definitely agree with Heretics Anonymous! Been dying to get to that one. Maybe a thriller for fall? It came out last year but Meddling Kids is something I'm looking forward to reading.

message 7: by Dylan (new)

Erin wrote: "I definitely agree with Heretics Anonymous! Been dying to get to that one. Maybe a thriller for fall? It came out last year but Meddling Kids is something I'm looking forward to reading."

definitely looking at doing a thriller in october!

message 8: by Angeline (new)

Angeline Joseph (angelineravenclaw) | 2 comments How about The Woman In The Window by AJ Finn? Emmmabooks talked highly about it on her channel and I've been meaning to get to it ever since...

Cristina (Cristina's Journey) | 5 comments Oh I'm dying to read The Ladies Guide to Petticoats and Piracy. Also Daughter of the Pirate King, though it isn't a new release.

message 10: by Michala (new)

Michala | 1 comments For a thriller in october and new release - what about Pieces of her by Karin Slaughter?

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Leverington (purplemommyx3) | 16 comments I'd also love to read Dance of Thieves, City of Ghosts, These Rebel Waves, Sea Witch, Heretics Anonymous, and also Neverworld Wake, Pride, NOT EVEN BONES, A room away from the Wolves, Uncharted just to name a few.. 😉

message 12: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon I would love to read Summer Of Salt by Katrina Leno

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (beepboopbeep) | 4 comments I'm all for spooky/thrilling in October, but I'm really not picky at all.

Mostly chiming in to make a request: Regardless of what gets picked, can we decide fairly far in advance? I try to get as many of my reads from the library as possible, and as it is, I may not get Trail of Lightning until the 28th. I'd love to avoid such a dilemma in the future.

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberinoface) | 19 comments Mod
Ellery wrote: "I'm all for spooky/thrilling in October, but I'm really not picky at all.

Mostly chiming in to make a request: Regardless of what gets picked, can we decide fairly far in advance? I try to get as ..."

Of course. We plan on picking later months earlier in advance in order to have as many people as possible participate especially with newer releases. Thank you for your suggestion!

message 15: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Leverington (purplemommyx3) | 16 comments I forgot about Boneless Mercies... Really want to read that one!

message 16: by Piper (new)

Piper (piperup1030) | 2 comments "The Lonely Hearts Hotel" seems like it'd be a really fun group read. It's not new but not old either, I think it's within the past six years?

message 17: by Clint (new)

Clint Read-Brittian (readsreaders) | 2 comments SUMMER OF SALT by: Katrina Leno
HOW TO HANG A WITCH by: Adriana Mather
THE WICKED DEEP by: Shea Ernshaw
THREE DARK CROWNS by: Kendare Blake
MORE HAPPY THAN NOT by: Adam Silvera
DIVINERS by: Libba Bray
NEVERMOOR: THE TRIALS OF MORRIGAN CROW by: Jessica Townsend
THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE by: Neil Gaiman (I know it's not new but I just read it a month or so ago and loved it and I think it would be a powerful book to do for a book group)
STRANGE THE DREAMER by: Laini Taylor
ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE by: Benjamin Alire Saenz (This would be a great book to talk about)

message 18: by V (new)

V (harukatenoh) ANY book by Stephen King would be great for October. I want Miseryyyyyy

message 19: by Mariam (new)

Mariam H (mariamh98) Grim Lovelies https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... comes out October 2nd
Spinning Silver https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou (burstnwithbooks) What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard
738 Days by Stacey Kade
Even if the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia
Neverland by Shari Arnold
Far From You by Tess Sharpe
something by Hannah Moskowitz (Gone Gone Gone?)

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Hey friends!

Most months we'd like for our pick options to follow a theme (ex. for october we did a spooky book, each option will be a favorite book of ours of 2018, etc.)

What we need from YOU is ideas for themes, if you think that theme would be perfect for a specific month, etc)! Reply if you have any ideas!

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Girard | 9 comments Breaking the ice here. I just want to preface this by saying I don’t follow recent releases and I don’t read by themes, so I have no clue if I’m doing this right... Some of these are inspired by what the month represents to me, some are just really random.

December: Holidays, celebrations, family dynamics
January: Starting over, becoming better, going throught a big change
February: LOVE of course, but doesn’t have to be romantic love

I don’t know about the rest of you but I live in Quebec, where winters are evil, and March is around the time where we’re all getting depressed and start considering hibernation as a pretty valid concept. So I would match this awefulness with:
March: Heavy topic

And then a little palate cleanser
April: Book from the perspective of a child

May: Wilderness
June: Summer
July: Camping, cabin or cottage living
August: Anthologies

message 23: by Cole (new)

Cole Sulak (coley_ni) | 3 comments Cristina (Cristina's Journey) wrote: "Oh I'm dying to read The Ladies Guide to Petticoats and Piracy. Also Daughter of the Pirate King, though it isn't a new release."

SAME!

message 24: by Cole (new)

Cole Sulak (coley_ni) | 3 comments Dylan wrote: "Hey friends!

Most months we'd like for our pick options to follow a theme (ex. for october we did a spooky book, each option will be a favorite book of ours of 2018, etc.)

What we need from YOU ..."

LOL what if we did "Thankful I'm not a character in the story"

message 25: by Cole (new)

Cole Sulak (coley_ni) | 3 comments Amy wrote: "What I Lost by Alexandra Ballard
738 Days by Stacey Kade
Even if the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia
Neverland by Shari Arnold
Far From You by Tess Sharpe
something by Hannah Moskowitz (Gone Gone Gone?)"

Second Neverland!