Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Clarification on book titles

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (last edited Aug 29, 2018 12:30AM) (new)

Tamara (partyinmyhead) | 13 comments Titles in question: Witches of London series

witches

One of the authors himself insists that the titles of the books in the series are:

Witches of London - Lars
Witches of London - Eagle's Shadow
Witches of London - Shadows Watching

And they are, in fact, available with those exact titles at retailers.

I was in the process of changing the titles when I came across a librarian note in one of the books:
Screenshot_from_2018_08_29_09_29_42

I understand that the policy says that titles with other info like advertisements of the book and such should be modified, but seeing how these titles do not contain any advertisements I don't see why they shouldn't be left alone. Shouldn't it be more important to log the exact title of the book (as the author intended) as long as no one is abusing the title for self-promotion?

I'm hoping someone can clarify.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7165 comments From the Manual:

Series information may be included in the title field as well. This is optional, but if series information is included, it should follow standard formatting. (See below.)

Place the series information in parentheses after the title and any subtitle or transliteration.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25060 comments It's clarified in the manual, as Elizabeth showed.

It's less confusing for everyone if a uniform standard for all series.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Please avoid naming names in this group, including those of specific librarians and including via screenshot.

Please edit the first post in this thread to remove references to specific librarians.

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (partyinmyhead) | 13 comments rivka wrote: "Please avoid naming names in this group, including those of specific librarians and including via screenshot.

Please edit the first post in this thread to remove references to specific librarians."

The point was not to point a finger at anyone. If it came off that way, I apologize. I removed it, but the name is apparent in the screenshot I made also :/

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 12:36AM) (new)

Tamara (緑) wrote: "The point was not to point a finger at anyone."

I understand that. But rather than determine each time whether a specific instance is ok or not, we simply don't allow any references to specific librarians or their edits in this group.

Please either remove or edit the screenshot.

Edit: Thanks!

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (partyinmyhead) | 13 comments Scott wrote: "It's clarified in the manual, as Elizabeth showed.

It's less confusing for everyone if a uniform standard for all series."

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "From the Manual:

Series information may be included in the title field as well. This is optional, but if series information is included, it should follow standard formatting. (See below.)

P..."

I am well aware of that rule and that was not my question.
I'm asking WHY the rule applies even though the author is insisting and the official name of the book is "Witches of London - Something".
From my point of view - and I'm all for uniformity - I don't see it as a simple "putting the series in parentheses" but rather as GR renaming the title of a book so it looks prettier.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

On Goodreads, titles including series are formatted

Book Title (Series Name #x)

Having some books listed otherwise causes them to show up oddly in many places on the site and confuses users. How they are listed on other sites, which have different policies and are usually about selling books, rather than cataloguing them, is not especially relevant.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) An example f how a reader (me) could be confused:

Even the book descriptions are a bit confusing to me. #2 says it is a standalone novel set in same world (unclear if same series) while #3 seems equally certain that #3 is the sequel to standalone #2?

If 3 is sequel to 2 then 2 shouldn't say it's standalone and might not even be #2? Maybe what is currently #1 is the standalone set in that universe and should be unnumbered with 2 becoming #1 and its sequel now #2?

Is the author saying that the books are not in a series so they want the series deleted ? That maybe for some odd reason that wording is in all the titles of books they write (but the books are unrelated despite descriptions saying are set in that universe and should never have had a series page created in the first place despite 2 and 3 even having same main characters)?

If not in a series called "Witches of London," as a reader I'd find it extremely confusing to have "Witches of London" on all the book-covers.