Loosely Bound Book Club discussion

TRAIL OF LIGHTNING > Chapters 1-3

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylanthereader5) | 67 comments Mod
This topic is for spoiler talk for chapters 1-3 ONLY. Don't read the comments unless you've read all the chapters or else you will be spoiled.

Also, DO NOT post about events that happen after these chapters. You will have two warnings, if it happens a third time, you're out of the group.

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 3 comments I agree that the writing style is too wordy. It doesn't bother me much, but I'm hoping I'll either stop noticing it or that it'll change as the story progresses.

I definitely like that this book doesn't hold anything back and I'm hoping it will continue to be that way. I'm a little worried that it'll focus too much on her ex and take away from the actual plot, though. He could be interesting but not if there's too much focus on romantic drama.

I'm definitely interested to see where it goes too.

message 3: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylanthereader5) | 67 comments Mod
I agree that the writing is definitely a little too "try hard" so far and it seems like the author might have had a word goal so she added extra words to meet it.

I am having a bit of a hard time connecting to the world so far (im also not the most varied fantasy reader), but im excited to see where it goes!

*Probably an unpopular opinion, but the romance lover inside of me really wants more of the ex ‍hahaha

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Leverington (purplemommyx3) | 16 comments So, the first two lines hooked me immediately... I love when a book starts out like this!
I'm really excited about the Navajo representation and I'm hoping that a lot of the customs and words are true to form. My daughters are part Cherokee so I'm always intrigued by books that have a fun and postitive viewpoint on Native American ways, even if this is a fantasy.
It is a bit wordy but so far it hasn't really bothered me. The story has me excited..I also am loving the monster hunter/monster's plot!

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (literaryleigh) I agree that it seems a bit wordy. I think it took away from such an intense beginning. I was not expecting her to have to kill the girl! I am hoping to learn more about the world in the next few chapters, because I am liking a lot of the backstory/world building we have gotten so far.

message 6: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennascreativecorner) | 8 comments I’m liking the book so far, but I’m not a fan of all the foreign words. I’m not going to even try to pronounce them because of the complexity, so I have to skip over them completely. I’m looking forward to continuing with the story, though.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennascreativecorner) | 8 comments I wish they at least had little numbers where you could look in the back for the pronunciation and meaning of each word. It wouldn’t be frustrating that way. Maybe it’s just me though! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Erin (_everysecondbook) I’m also finding the writing style a little difficult to jive with, but hopefully once I get further into the book that’ll be fine! I don’t mind the foreign words, I just hope I can keep them all straight and remember what they’re referring to.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Lou (burstnwithbooks) Mainly just agreeing with everyone else, it’s super wordy and the first bit was intense and very intriguing. I like how there’s already a past and the concept of the world is fantastic so far.