Into the Forest discussion

The Shadow Behind the Stars
This topic is about The Shadow Behind the Stars
15 views
Greek Mythology > The Shadow Behind the Stars - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
A place to discuss the book without spoilers.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
I am going to start tonight. Because I don't know that much about the Three Fates in Greek mythology, just that they were three sisters who determined people's fates, I look them up.
I don't know how accurate this is or if it in any way relates to the book!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G02RtjX...


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Who is planning on reading this book?


message 4: by Asaria (last edited Sep 16, 2018 12:22PM) (new)

Asaria | 680 comments Jalilah wrote: "Who is planning on reading this book?"

I'm going to give it a try as I grabbed a copy yesterday, but I don't promise I'll survive the process :) .


message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3766 comments Mod
I'll be reading it, but I'm unsure when. It will probably be a month or so. I have a few library books that will come in soon, and then a few I need to read for other projects first.

Hmm, I'm thinking about writing a short list of feminist retellings of classic myths, and it looks like this one might fit.


Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I started it and will try to finish. I'm about a quarter of the way through now but am not that enthusiastic about it yet.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
It would be great Tamara, or someone else with knowledge of Greek mythology could join in!
Like I said, I do know about the 3 Fates, but not much. I don't know if there are other stories where they interact with mortals.
Up to know I really don't understand why they feel so threatened by Agleila. I know they are not supposed to get emotionally involved with mortals, but if it's such a danger, why let her stay with them in the first place.


message 8: by Asaria (last edited Sep 17, 2018 12:21PM) (new)

Asaria | 680 comments Jalilah wrote: "It would be great Tamara, or someone else with knowledge of Greek mythology could join in!
Like I said, I do know about the 3 Fates, but not much. I don't know if there are other stories where the..."


That's strange because Moirais were someone that even gods had sometimes to bow their heads before. I never get the feeling in the myths they were threatened by anyone. One-eyed, they didn't like to share their knowledge as many would-be-heroes found out. The trickery was needed. What's the context in the book?

I agree, it would be great to have Tamara on the board.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Asaria wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "It would be great Tamara, or someone else with knowledge of Greek mythology could join in!
Like I said, I do know about the 3 Fates, but not much. I don't know if there are other s..."


I assume it's because as Fates they are not supposed to interfere with mortals destinies and the "danger" is they might grow to love this mortal girl so much that they will be tempted to chsnge her destiny. But still, the entire premise does not make sense.
This by the way is not a spoiler as it's stated in the beginning.
On the plus side, this novel is very evocative. Without being overly descriptive it manages to convey the feeling of the sea. While reading it I can just feel the salty air and hear the waves crashing against the rocks.


message 10: by Asaria (new)

Asaria | 680 comments Jalilah wrote: "I assume it's because as Fates they are not supposed to interfere with mortals destinies and the "danger" is they might grow to love this mortal girl so much that they will be tempted to chsnge her destiny. But still, the entire premise does not make sense."

Aren't Fates supposed to be incorruptible and impartial? Or apathetic toward humanity in general? I don't recall they were particularly interested in the mortal world beyond their job.

Slavic Fates were open to bribery. People gave them offerings for a better lot of a newborn.

I have to put off the book for later. Not right mood, not right time.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
This book definitely gets more interesting in the middle when they leave the Island.
I will move to the spoiler thread with the hope that more people will actually join in!


Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Good to know! I've been pretty bored so far and left off right at the start of Pt. 2, which is right when they leave the island, I think.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "Good to know! I've been pretty bored so far and left off right at the start of Pt. 2, which is right when they leave the island, I think."
I know what you mean. Every time I'd finish a chapter and take a break it was not at all the case that I couldn't wait to get back to it.
One thing everyone who is thinking about reading this should know this is not really a YA novel at all. There is no romance, at least not up to now and the pace is too slow. Evrn though it's more interesting in the second part the feeling is still very dreamy and the focus is on how the Three Fates, inparticular Chloe is feeling.


message 14: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 755 comments I'm a bit late to the party. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've been gone for 2 weeks visiting family in London and then sightseeing in Scotland. I'll pick the book up today and will start reading it.

I don't know anything about the novel yet, and I don't know if this helps with understanding what happens in the novel. But the role of the fates (Moirai) in Greek mythology was to determine human destiny. They were personified as three women. One weaves the fate; the second dispenses it; the third cuts the thread to determine the time of death. They control the past, the present, and the future of a person's life.

There are many references to the fates in Homer. He describes the Moirai as a powerful force that act independently from the gods although later versions suggest that Zeus was the only god who could overrule them.

I'll try to catch up with the reading. Meanwhile, I hope this helps.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Thank Tamara! I’ll be curious to know your take on this book! I knew what you say about the three fates, but I’m curious to how much the author added her own interpretations and how much is based on actual mythology.


message 16: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 755 comments Well, I tried.

I picked it up from the library yesterday and started reading it right away. I got as far as part 1, but I can't bring myself to go any further. It's been a struggle for me every step of the way.

I don't want to be uncharitable and I don't like to be critical of a book others might enjoy, so I won't go into detail. I'll just say I had serious reservations about the quality of the writing, character portrayal, and the attempts to generate conflict and mystery. Perhaps I'm just not into YA fiction.

Sorry.


Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Ha! I've been rolling my eyes at it every few pages, so you're not alone!

I think she's trading excessive foreshadowing for genuine tension.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Tamara wrote: "Well, I tried.

I picked it up from the library yesterday and started reading it right away. I got as far as part 1, but I can't bring myself to go any further. .I don't want to be uncharitable and I don't like to be critical of a book others might enjoy, so I won't go into detail. I'll just say I had serious reservations about the quality of the writing, character portrayal, and the attempts to generate conflict and mystery. Perhaps I'm just not into YA fiction. .."


Okay so there's no real mythology in it that I did not know about?!
I have not rated it because I did not want to influence anyone wanting to read it, but it also was not a page turner for me.
Tamara I don't know if it's the fact that it's YA is the reason you didn't like it, because I don't find this book to be YA at all. I think most teens would get bored and give up after a few chapters.
I struggled through it, but read it to the end. I took it to be more of a reflection on destiny and how much is really predetermined and how much is free will?


message 19: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 755 comments Jalilah wrote: "Tamara I don't know if it's the fact that it's YA is the reason you didn't like it, because I don't find this book to be YA at all. I think most teens would get bored and give up after a few chapters...."

I think it is very poorly written--which doesn't have anything to do with whether it is YA adult or not. I assume there is YA fiction that is well-written and engaging. This book is neither.


message 20: by Asaria (last edited Sep 26, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Asaria | 680 comments I'm leaning toward Melanti and Tamara's opinions. Shame to confess, but I dropped this book two times after two pages. Maybe it's only wrong timing from my side, still, I don't feel I'd like it in the future.


Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
Well I did read it to the end l, but I had to force myself.
I wanted to give it a chance, but now that I’m reading a book that I absolutely love, it makes it clear I did not love this book.......at all!


back to top