Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Who do YOU think I am?---Francisco Goya

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 30, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments ________________ was born to a lower-middle-class family. The fourth of six children. At age 14, he began his artistic studies.

_______________ married___________ with whom he had several children, though only one son survived to adulthood. _____________ once said that his son was so beautiful, people on the street in Madrid would stop to look at him, and he was an intensely proud father. When his son fell ill, ____________ wrote that he "stopped living for that whole period."

___________ began his career as court painter in [year]. He established himself as a favorite, becoming First Court Painter to the king in [year], the highest position for an artist in the royal household.

_________________'s burgeoning career was briefly interrupted when an undiagnosed illness left him permanently [....]. His handicap led him to distance himself from public life as he grew increasingly embittered and melancholy.

Following the restoration of the.......monarchy in [year], _________________withdrew completely from public life; little is known about his later years.

________________'s oeuvre represents a unique marriage of tradition and modernity. His bold departure from the artistic conventions of his day earns him a place as one of the first Modern Western painters.

________________'s use of broad, visible brushstrokes paved the way for [art movement] spontaneous style, as did the subject matter of his art... [one being] the radical reinvention of the classical nude as a modern-day prostitute.

_______________'s politically engaged, highly subjective, and imaginative art presented a significant step towards modernism. In his prints especially, ______________ critiqued the events of his day including war, corruption, social ills, and ingrained superstitions.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I do believe believe this is Francisco Goya.

message 3: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3284 comments I second that.
The prints critiquing events of the day including war made me think of Desastres de la guerra.
I once did a paper on Goya and his etchings (together with Rembrandts and Piranesi's) steered me into the graphic arts.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments You both got it! Good job Ellen and Dirk!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 95 comments Darn! Too slow! :)

message 6: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3284 comments When talking about Goya, I cannot help but think about The Dog.
Its very haunting and not for the faint of hart.
It's not painted on canvas but on the wall of his house.
Goya painted it when he was 73.
It is now in the Prado in Madrid.
Manuela Mena, curator at the Prado, claimed: "There is not a single contemporary painter in the world who does not pray in front of The Dog".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog...