Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > October Contemporary Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:18AM) (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our October group read and discussion (beginning October 21.) A contemporary novel would typically have been first published in the 21st century.

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. Note that if your nomination is selected by the group, we'll be expecting you to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. We also read one or more short stories every other month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate months. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that these are nominations for our October discussion topic. The Only Harmless Great Thing has already been selected as our September Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Saturday Tuesday, September 4, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

Edit: Corrected that Sept 4th is a Tuesday.

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I am planning to read all my Star Wars books in that month so how about Thrawn by Timothy Zahn? I believe it is one of the critically acclaimed new-canon books. I know we just read an SW book but it is YA.

Anyway, Zahn wrote Thrawn as part of the Legends books but I guess the character was too iconic to let go so they decided to reintroduce him. Anyone watching Star Wars: Rebels should know that he is a unique villain.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments How about Ball Lightening? Newest from Cixin Liu (author of 3 body problem trilogy)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2822 comments We don't do much urban fantasy here so not sure what kind of reaction this will get, but this will be the last contemporary dragon book I'll nominate since I won't have time to fit in another series starting November :)

The Dragon Delasangre by Alan F. Troop

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: Today, Tuesday, is the final day to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our October group read and discussion.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Contemporary Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for October is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please only vote if you plan on participating in the discussion of that work.

Note that these are nominations for our October discussion topic. The Only Harmless Great Thing has already been selected as our September Contemporary Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Tuesday, September 11.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 12, 2018 05:53AM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today, Tuesday, is the final day to vote for one of our Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our October group read and discussion.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected Contemporary SciFi novel for discussion in October is...

Ball Lightning by Liu Cixin Ball Lightning by Liu Cixin

The discussion will begin October 21.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 526 comments Oh good it didn't look like this would win out!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.