Play Book Tag discussion

The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
This topic is about The Concrete Blonde
Archive: Other Books > [Listopia] The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly (4 out of 5 Stars)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeremiah (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments The Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly
4 out of 5 Stars
Listopia Challenge: Book 3 of 6

In this classic from a #1 "New York Times" bestselling author, Detective Harry Bosch thought he'd stopped the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. Now the dead man's widow is suing Harry and the LAPD for shooting the wrong man--an accusation that rings true when a new victim is discovered with the Dollmaker's macabre signature.

The Positives of The Concrete Blonde
This book is the third installment in the Harry Bosch series. In this novel Michael Connelly employs a new technique which is solely responsible for me giving this book four stars (which is the highest rating I give a popular fiction book). While I believe the books in the Harry Bosch series could be read as standalone or out of order, I would not advise it as you miss the most enjoyable part.

So what was it that put this book over the top for me? Well, without giving away any spoilers there are a series of characters that have appeared in books 1 and 2. Either way, all of these characters are not new to the story line. You have other cops such as Edgar, Pounds, and Irving, you have a reporter named Bremmer, and you have a love interest named Sylvia. Carrying a multitude of characters through a series is not unusual, but turning one of them into the criminal in the third book was a great twist. All too often I figure out the "who done it" aspect of the book very early, but not with this one. I truly loved all the plot twists along the way.

The Negatives of The Concrete Blonde
I really did not have any negatives with this book. My four star rating is the highest I give to popular fiction (mystery, romance, chick-lit, etc.). At times the chapters are a bit lengthy, but never excessive. The plot moves along well with just enough detail so that the reader does not get bogged down but yet the story feels well developed. Really, this was a very good book.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8434 comments I have read just past this book, in the Bosch series. I was really in a addiction cycle of CIA, Cops and Robbers at the time-I got really burned out on the genre. Perhaps it is time to re-visit, I really liked Harry!

message 3: by annapi (last edited Aug 28, 2018 11:54AM) (new) - added it

annapi | 5159 comments I love Harry! And the Amazon series Bosch is really good, brings him to life. But if you haven't read all the books yet and you watch the series, you might have spoilers as the show features the storylines of about 3 books at a time, and they're not in order. But it makes sense with the adjustments they made to bring Harry to the present time.

Season 1 blends the stories of City of Bones, Echo Park, and The Concrete Blonde.
Season 2: Trunk Music, The Drop, The Last Coyote
Season 3: The Black Echo, A Darkness More Than Night
Season 4: Angel's Flight
upcoming Season 5: Two Kinds of Truth

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments annapi wrote: "I love Harry! And the Amazon series Bosch is really good, brings him to life. But if you haven't read all the books yet and you watch the series, you might have spoilers as the show features the st..."

I really look forward to watching this series when I get far enough into the books. The problem is you have to get through Book 12 just for season one. The good part is though once you are far enough for season one its not as hard to get ready for season two and three.

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments I am also moving through the Harry Bosch universe and not just the Bosch series so it will take even longer.

message 6: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 5159 comments It's so worth it, though, for both the books and the TV series!

Charlotte | 1663 comments I absolutely love the whole Bosch universe. Michael Connelly is one of my favorite authors! I enjoyed your review, it’s been a while since I read it.

Booknblues | 6891 comments J.W. wrote: "While I believe the books in the Harry Bosch series could be read as standalone or out of order, I would not advise it as you miss the most enjoyable part. "

I've been reading the Harry Bosch series for years and I basically started it all out of order by reading The Last Coyote as my first one in 1996 and it still remains my favorite. Then I picked up whatever I could get my hands on and finally started moving forwards in order.

At this point I might be one or two behind, but I've been reading them for over 20 years.

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Booknblues wrote: "J.W. wrote: "While I believe the books in the Harry Bosch series could be read as standalone or out of order, I would not advise it as you miss the most enjoyable part. "

I've been reading the Har..."

That is wonderful. What a history with one author. I believe book 21 in the series comes out in October.