Troxell LA Period 4 discussion

Quarter 1 Book Review

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Troxell | 4 comments Mod
Post your Quarter 1 book review to the discussion post.

message 2: by Connor (new)

Connor | 4 comments Book: Colossus Rises Auther; Peter Lerangis

It's the end of your life, the only way to live is to hunt down the seven wonders, use superpowers, and try to raise Atlantis before you are 14. Follow the life of Jack Mckinley and his friends as they do all of this. This book is an amazing thrill. It is five stars.

This book is an amazing mix of adventure, kids in over their heads, and ancient magic. This is shown when Jack and his friends all use their magical gifts, to hunt down the colossus of rodes from the seven wonders to save their friend Cass and start the cure to save themselves before they are 14. This is also shown when they go searching a volcano with tons of traps just to find Marco's dead body.

The book is also a good book to leave you clinging on to every detail. This especially when you start reading fast in the dramatic moments of suspense and during the moments were clues are being solved and you want to figure them out too.

I recommend this to people who like Percy Jackson or any fantasy books with teens doing impossible things. I also recommend you read this right before bed.

message 3: by Wes (new)

Wes Kupferer | 4 comments Book: Sky Raiders Author: Brandon Mull

Have you ever been to a haunted house? Did you go through a portal to another world? That is what happened to Cole Randolph and his friends when they were trying to enjoy Halloween. I would recommend that you read this book. I would give it five stars.

Cole's friends were taken by slave traders to be sold. Cole, when trying to save his friends, was also captured. Cole was then sold to work with the sky raiders. There he met a girl named Mira. With her help, Cole tries to save this alien world from an evil threat.

This book is a very suspenseful book. Every day Cole risks his life working for the sky raiders. So you never know if he will survive or not. Also, you never know who is on Cole's side and who isn't. The whole book you don't know who is good or who is just acting good. It is a very suspenseful book to read.

I very highly recommend that you read this book. If you read this book and enjoy it, I would recommend that you read the other four books in the series. If you finish the other books and want to read books similar to these, I'd read the series Beyonders and Fablehaven. These are both series by Brandon Mull. You should read this book, and I would give this book five stars.

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley W. | 4 comments The Ranger’s Apprentice: Halt’s Peril by John Flanagan

"Will stepped clear of the trees, pivoting so that he emerged on the opposite side. And his mouth went dry as he saw the assassin aiming a crossbow towards Halt, heard the dull smack of the cord. Halt had warned him that they might have more than one bow apiece and he'd been right.
Then Will's heart froze at the most chilling sound he had heard in his young life: Halt's brief cry of pain, followed by the sound of his bow dropping."
In "Halt's Peril", Will, Halt, and Horace are hot on the trail of Tennyson and the Outsiders when Halt faces an unfortunate fate. With the urgency to stop the Outsiders growing and Halt slowly dying, what will become of these heroes?
I think this book was riveting and adventurous, and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

For one, the entire series is action-packed and exciting, and "Halt's Peril" is no exception. Even the milder, more uneventful details surround me with an air of tension and anxiousness, like the calm before the storm, or the moment before a cat pounces on a bird. Like when Will is traveling to find Malcolm the Healer, Horace is left to take care of Halt. Every second of the days he spends there is filled with the worry and anxiety that the Genovesan will come back, and later Horace finds out the Genovesan has been watching his every movement, hiding in the forest.
Another thing I thought was great about the book was the drawn-out sequence of Halt's demise. Now, that sounds strange at first, but it kept me in constant suspense and kept me reading, this burning question storming through my mind every moment of reading: Will Halt live or die? At times, he seemed to improve more and more. However, he constantly grew worse after each time it seemed he'd healed. At one point, he was sitting up, eating, and having a conversation with Horace, understanding every word he spoke. But shortly after that, he was thrown into a fit of thrashing and struggling, reliving moments from his past. He even confused Horace for Crowley, the Ranger Corps Commander.
The last point I wish to make is the way the author illustrates the characters' traits throughout the story. He shows Will's determination, strength, and mettle through his journey to find Malcolm, both his fights with Bacari, the Genovesan, and his headstrong desire to keep Halt alive. He shows Halt's wit, resolution, and unyielding desire to do things for the greater good by showing the way he pushed on during the hunt for Tennyson and his bravery in the battle with the outsiders, proving to Tennyson's followers they had been tricked and misguided.

I highly recommend this book to thrillseekers and adventure lovers who enjoy reading, because if you choose to read this book, you'll want to read the other eleven, too!

message 5: by Celia (last edited Sep 14, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

Celia | 1 comments Title: The Unidentified Author: Rae Mariz

You are just a normal kid living a normal life, then, in a matter of days, you are in a secret group of people only known as the unidentified. This book is full of action and suspense. I rate this book 5 out of 5.

Katey (a.k.a. Kid) is a part of the game, the game is a school tailored to the kids needs to help the sponsors with their market research, and she knows she is being monitored every second. A series of events happens and she ends up involved in one of the most secretive groups in school, the unidentified.

Kid later finds out that everything she had been passing from the unidentified to the sponsors is a lie. Because of her stupidity and one man's tricks, there is chaos in all of the game locations nationwide, all for nothing. The unidentified becomes aware of this and starts having riots at school to show that they will not stand for that, that they are unimpressed with what the game is doing, and to show that they have a voice, and they will use that voice until they beat the game.

I recommend this book to anyone who needs a short-term book to read and to people looking for a book with action and suspense.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby Nelson | 3 comments What would you say if I told you that you could be controlled by a senior citizen? You'd say that I was crazy! Well, In Callie Woodland's world, it's reality. Back during the Spore Wars all the Enders (100+-year-olds) and the Starters (19 or lower years) got immunized for a disease. Anyone in between didn't get immunized, they all died. Starters can't work, so they need to figure out how to make money. Prime Destinations is the place I was telling you about, the place where Enders rent Starter's bodies. One of Callie's renters planned to murder someone, and Callie goes on an adventure to stop her. I love Callie's adventure and think Starters, by Lissa Price, is well worth reading.

Starters is a very descriptive book. In paragraph 6 of page 2, the book states "His teeth were so bright, I flinched a little when he smiled." I find that the description of the characters, very much helps you understand what's going on. For instance, Starters that are donors for Prime Destinations, typically look flawless. Even, if those starters end up living back on the streets, you can tell that they where donors.

Starters is also a book that includes a lot of live action. When you look at page 80 and go to the 4th paragraph you will read, "I found drive and slammed the car to get into gear hard. Floored it. The renegade flew back and fell off". When I read this book, to me it was pretty insipid, but I kept reading, and once I got to the action-stuffed parts, I really started to enjoy reading it.

My favorite quality to Starters is that you can feel what the character feels. I felt Tyler's awe when I was reading The third paragraph on page 190. "When I opened the door Tyler's jaw dropped. It had been a long time since he'd been a room this plush. It was huge, with two queen beds and a couch that opened to be a third bed". I just love it when I can feel a character's feelings in a book, it's like I'm doing what the character is doing myself!

I absolutely loved this book! I would rate Starters 4 out of 5 stars! It was full of action, relationships, and you feel like you're standing by the characters the entire way! So, if you're looking for a book, and you like action and relationship in a book, this is the book for you!

message 7: by Sophia (last edited Sep 17, 2018 02:53PM) (new)

Sophia Schaefer | 4 comments Book: How I Live Now Author: Meg Rosoff

"I was starving, starving for Edmond.
And what a coincidence, that was the best feeling in the world."

The book "How I Live Now" by Meg Rosoff tells the story of an incestuous relationship in the time of war. I rate this book 2 stars out of 5 mostly because there was little to no character development and the personality that was given to each character was distasteful and would leave anyone with a bad taste in their mouths.

The book began when Daisy (a sixteen-year-old new yorker) moves to the U.K to live with her cousins. Dasiy's mother died while in labor and daisy never really met her, and her stepmother hated her. So, when Davina (her stepmother) became pregnant she thought it would be a great time to kick Daisy out and since her father had little to no say in the relationship, daisy got sent off.

Upon her arrival, she quickly bonds with her aunt and she tells Daisy all about her real mother. She also forms a relationship with Edmond her 18-year-old cousin and her 3 other cousins, Osbert, Issac, and Piper. Soon Daisy's and Edmonds's relationship turns romantic and they are brought with the challenge of doing what's morally right or what feels right. They end up staying together until forcefully getting taken apart as the war begins. The rest of the book is just Daisy's and Piper's struggles to survive, loneliness and unsureness in a time of war. In the end, Daisy ends up moving back to America for three years after the war was over and stayed to cope with the trauma but she eventually moves back to the farm, Edmond now suffers from PTSD and has gone mute, only communicating through facial expressions, they fall madly in love for the second time and that's just how the book ends.

First off, it's not descriptive at all that's mostly because there's just too much going on in such a quick period of time because of this I couldn't ever really relate to the characters. Also, this leads to a lot of confusion to the reader, even I couldn't keep track of what was happening. For example, when Daisy and Piper were staying with a military family because there home had been taken over there was no more than two pages until they had gotten to the military base which in my opinion should've been stretched out for at least four pages.

To add to that, the characters are super unlikable and the ones that would be likable never get mentioned, like Issac or Osbert. Daisy is self-centered and reckless and Edmond obviously has his own problems. The characters don't feel real either, they feel like some unrealistic fantasies of a teenage girl which is probably what the author was going for. One example of this is when Daisy starts working at the military base when a women working there glanced at her Daisy's thoughts were, "I saw her looking at me, wishing she had all the self-control I do, wishing she looked as good as I do," which, even though daisy does suffer from anorexia seems very self-centered.

In spite of all that, the one thing that saves this book from not being 1 star out of 5 is the fact that I did like the setting, the author did a great job at making me feel 'home' and did a great job at portraying the comfort and love on the farm which Is really rare in most books. An example of this is when Daisy's describing her room where she says, "It was warm with the sun beaming through the curtains and fresh dandelions but in a glass by my bedside"

I would recommend this book to teenage girls who crave the whole 'love knows no bounds' types of books but if your mind is halfway down to earth don't read it. It's a horrible attempt at storytelling and will (even in the most intense parts) leave you bored out of your mind or confused.

message 8: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 4 comments Book: Not If I Save You First by Ally Carter

"What is it?" he asked Logan, who was trembling. They could still hear the rattling of the cart's wheels as the Russians broke into a run. "My mom. They have---." Logan and Maddie were best friends forever. Being the son of the president and the daughter of the head of the secret service isn't easy. At 10 years old, Maddie and her dad moved to Alaska to start a new life, after the troubles with the Russians capturing the first lady. After many letters and no responses, Logan arrives in Alaska 6 years later as it took Maddie by surprise. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there. Once again, Maddie and Logan's lives are in danger and they must act quickly. I loved this book! It was action-packed, all the twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat. I would recommend this book to anyone who is in for an amazing cliff-hanger. I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

One point I would like to make about "Not If I Save You First" is that this book is very action-packed. For starters, the harsh wilderness of Alaska is already difficult to survive in, let alone if a gang of Russian terrorists is trying to capture and kill you. Luckily, Maddie developed years of experience learning all of the tips and tricks on how to survive in Alaska. After Stephan, a Russian terrorist captured Maddie and Logan, he realized Maddie wasn't worth any money, unlike Logan, who was worth a lot, he pushed Maddie off a cliff to get rid of her. She survived the fall, and after getting herself back together, she knew that Logan's only chance was if she followed them into the deep woods. In paragraph 2 page 89 the author states " She brought her hand to the side of her face and pressed her palm against the largest of the rocks, until her bloody handprint shone like an eerie beacon, announcing to the world: trouble came this way."

Next, another point I would like to make is that this book is very suspenseful. Once Maddie and Logan are reunited, the suspense grows. The teens and the Russian terrorist get into at least 3 fights. Eventually, the teens escape, lost in Maddie's home and any signs of life, when they find their temporary home in a small abandoned cabin with blankets, clothes, dry wood, and food. They must go back to where the Russians are, to try to get the phone, so they can contact their families, and get help. But in the process, the Russians found and trapped them again just as Maddie's dad finally came along. This is one of many times in the book that is very suspenseful, as it is throughout the entire book.

I really enjoyed this book! I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a thrilling and suspenseful book filled with so much drama and a happy ending. I give a 5 out of 5 stars.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

"I stole a star. Borrowed a star. Because when you are sad, you need a little help, sometimes, getting happy again."

"Rules for Stealing Stars" by Corey Ann Haydu was astounding! The book got me hooked from the very beginning.

In the book, Silly and her three sisters (Marla, Astrid, and Eleanor) find an amazing way out of their lives where their mom suffers from alcohol and drugs and their dad has too much work to spend time with his kids. Their portal is this...a magical closet. Yes, a magical closet! Astrid gets it to work by putting her artsy diorama in the closet and urges her sisters inside. The closet transports them to a lifesize area just like the diorama! But when a tragedy happens with one of their sisters in the closet they're not sure what to do. . .

I rate this 4 stars and recommend you read this book! Full of magic, love, and heartbreak "Rules for Stealing Stars" is one of the best books I have ever read.

message 10: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Jenkins (audreyjenkinsstusmscscom) | 1 comments Title: The Last Present Author: Wendy Mass

"What Happens in Willow Falls stays in Willow Falls." Amanda and Leo are forced to go back in time to fix the magic Angelina never did. Grace's life is on the line and they have to act fast. This book is full of suspense. It is a page turner for sure. I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

One thing I would like to point out is the suspense in this book is crazy. You really never know what is going to happen next. For example, they get trapped in a bathroom towards the middle of the book with no way out and they are back in time. If they don't get out quick enough, they could be trapped in time forever! This was the most suspenseful part in my opinion. It left me on the edge of my seat.

Another point I would like to make is that the book puts you in the characters shoes. It makes you feel exactly what the character is feeling and your brain automatically finds ways you can get around conflicts. I think this is a super cool feature in the story that not many other books have.

The final point I would like to mention is that the novel is very descriptive. I could always paint a picture in my head of what the different settings looked like along with the characters. This is a big component that helps me to understand the book more.

As you can see, this book doesn't only tell a story about Amanda and Leo, but it makes you feel many emotions for the characters which help you understand the book more. I think this is why I love the book so much and I hope you will too.

message 11: by Mikala (new)

Mikala Ross | 4 comments Title: Origin Author: Jessica Khoury

"You're perfect," are the words Pia has always received. You'd think this would be a good thing to be called, but what if you didn't want to be perfect? I mean, what if you wanted to be normal? These are the thoughts that often crossed Pia's mind. This book is about a girl named Pia who is perfect, immortal even, meaning she never bleeds or feels pain. This book has a lot of action and suspense. It also tugs on your heart and makes you feel as if you are there in the jungle. It is a very well written book that I would easily recommend.

This book makes you feel as if you are there, as of you are Pia, with her emotions and everything. All of the changes and actions have an impact on your own emotions. Pia's thoughts about her world around her often change throughout the book. In the beginning, Pia loved her life, her family, and her future. Then, as the book continues Pia begins to learn more about the world around her and what the past of her family is. Once she had found out these things her opinions about her life changed and she wanted different things. As her feelings change so do the readers. This shows that the author is very talented and uses great words in her text.

Another thing that the author does well is uses many details to explain the surroundings and the situations that Pia was in. The first time that Pia found herself in the jungle you could understand and tell that she loved it by the way the author explained the area around her. Another example is her home around her. When the author explains her room and her home, throughout the book, you continuously learn more about the way her home and environment looks. Along with many other ways does this author use adjectives to draw a picture in readers minds.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read with much action, suspense, and emotion.

message 12: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Haugh | 4 comments Book: The Dark Prophecy Author: Rick Riordan

Have you ever fallen out of the sky and landed in an alley? Have you ever been stuck in a useless sixteen-year-old body? Have you ever been saved by a twelve-year-old girl? Well, Apollo has done all of that! In the second Trials of Apollo book, Apollo, now a mortal, will struggle to get the lost Oracle back from the Triumvirate Holdings, which is something he must do to gain his immortality back. Apollo goes through many trials and must rely on help from both friends and enemies to overcome his situation. The Dark Prophecy is an exciting, action-packed book, in which Apollo will try to gain his immortality back.

The reader will see that Apollo faces many struggles in The Dark Prophecy as he seeks to regain the lost Oracle. After getting stuck in a mortal body, Apollo has only a speck of his powers which limits his abilities as he fights for the Oracle. He can only use his powers when his friends are in trouble, and he has poor control over his powers. We see this when Apollo saw two of his friends captured and he burst into pure light, not having any control over what power he would use. Therefore, Apollo has to go through most of his journey without any of his power and has to go through lots of different hardships to complete his trials. Apollo may have to rely on others to conquer the challenges he faces.

The overall theme of The Dark Prophecy is one that readers can relate to: Working together will help you accomplish many things. Apollo and his friends have to work together to accomplish Apollo's goals. When Apollo tries to capture the Oracle, he has to work with Meg, a demigod and daughter of Demeter, to complete that trial. Also, when Apollo goes to save two griffins, he has to work with an enemy, Calypso, daughter of Atlas and a goddess of magic, to save the griffins. Apollo needs his friends and even an enemy to complete his trials and accomplish his goals.

In this book we see Apollo go through a number of challenges that are action-packed and exciting to the reader. I recommend this book to anyone who has read the Percy Jackson series and Heroes of Olympus series. I also recommend this book to those who enjoy fantasy as well as those who are looking for a book about mythology. With strong characters and a relatable theme, The Dark Prophecy is worth reading.

message 13: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 4 comments Title: Prisoner B-3087 Author: Alan Gratz

"It was too late. The Germans were here. If I had only known what I know now, I would have run. I wouldn't have stopped to pack a bag, or say goodbye to my friends, or to even unplug my projector. None of us would have. We would have run for the woods outside of town and never looked back.
But we didn't. We just sat there in my family's flat, listening to the radio and watching the sky over Krakow turn black as the Germans came to kill us."

Prisoner B-3087 is about a boy named Yanek Gruener who grew up in Poland during the 1930s. He had a pretty laid back and enjoyable life. His everyday routine included going to school, playing with friends, and spending time with family. The problem was, he was a Jew. For him, that meant trouble. The trouble finally came when the Nazis arrived one day, taking Jews away to concentration camps. This story follows Yanek on his journey through ten concentration camps and several spine-chilling and unforgettable experiences.

This book made me want to keep on reading and made me feel in touch with the main character, feeling the pain and all other emotions he felt. It also helped me understand this time in history. I would give it a 4 out of 5 rating.

Alan Gratz did an incredible job making the book feel very realistic, especially since it is based on a true story, along with also managing to find a way to keep readers reading. The work he created seems to be a more young adult version of the I Survived series written by Lauren Tarshis. In the book, Gratz included some disturbing thoughts and actions, such as the main character wanting his life to end and a man jumping on an electric fence to have himself be put out of his misery. He also leaves the reader questioning if Yanek will be safe at the end of each chapter, begging the reader to continue reading.

Conflict takes many forms throughout the story. There is man versus man, man versus nature, man versus society, and even man versus self at one point. Yanek has to deal with the Nazi guards continuously, was beaten by a certain guard over and over, had to battle some harsh weather during his time at the camps, and beat himself up over things he couldn’t control. All of the conflict that takes place in the story helps the reader to believe that the story is true, helping to establish it as historical fiction.

The main reason why this book did not get a 5 out of 5 rating is that of its connection to Refugee, a more recent book written by Alan Gratz. The books are so very similar that, in a way, it ruins how great the book truly is. The stories seemed to be too much alike, with the story plots being very similar and the characters having similar adventures. If I were to read Refugee again, I would most likely not enjoy it as much because of its similarity to Prisoner B-3087.

Overall, Prisoner B-3087 was a pretty good book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, whether they like history or not. It is full of tragedy, loss, and has a good ending. The book felt very realistic and was definitely worth reading.

message 14: by Reese (new)

Reese | 4 comments Title: Battlesong Author: Lian Tanner

" The long darkness was over at last." West Norn was ruled by devouts for three-hundred years. Gwin, Nat, and papaw are fetchers. Fetchers are people who travel and perform to give people hope.

Battlesong is a book where three-hundred years ago devouts took over West Norn. They did not feed the people who lived there. They were cruel, abusive, and selfish. When Gwin's mam died it seemed like all hope was lost. After a while, they meet up with strong-willed
people. These people introduce a new hope for Gwin and Nat.

When Spindle, their ox, went crazy and left Gwin, Papa, and Nat, it left them with no choice but go up to the mountains, they make a powerful bond with the mysterious mountain people. Rumors about the mountain people scared the folks of West Norn. At first, they were extremely scared, nervous, and cautious, but after giving them a chance the mountain people offered shelter. Soon a heartbreaking event happened.

I would rate this book a 3-5. This is the third book of the Icebreaker trilogy. So, If you read it out of order, it will probably be confusing. The book switches between groups of characters. Personally, I was thrown off by this. After I got deeper into the book, however, I didn't struggle anymore.

In the end, if you enjoy a book with a good ending and a lot of detail, you're in for a treat. Though confusing at times, this is a story that you can learn from. No matter what happens, no matter how bad, with faith and hope good things will happen, even though might not come soon.

message 15: by Eddie (last edited Sep 27, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

Eddie | 4 comments The Whisper Author:Emma Clayton
They have disposed of their corrupt government; they have become super weapons carved out by their overlords; they are The Army of Children. They are the thousands of 12 and 13-year-olds who live in an area surrounded by a wall built by lies. They live in a future where rich people have imprisoned the main population behind a wall to stop people from killing off all of the remaining nature. They were told a lie that convinced all of them to move behind the wall. Only the government inside the wall knew of the lush land outside. The government have lured in the children and trained them for war through arcades. They want to destroy the Northern government with their war-trained children so they can take their land. But, the children want to stop this war from happening.Together, they must stop both governments from waging war against each other, if they don’t, the children might not have any future.

In “The Whisper” anyone my age could relate to the characters because the author explains the characters in a way people my age could relate to. She explained how most of the people in the book are living, some living in aristocracy and others living in undesirable conditions. Also, apart from all the possible world-ending problems they have everyday problems as we do. For example, the main characters, who are siblings, had normal issues like bickering. Even though they usually get along well now, there is a demonstration of this (though worse than bickering) in the book where they argued about going back to see their parents after the citizens (other than the 12-13-year-olds) of the wall learned of wildlife on the other side. They fought, and Ellie shocked Herself and Mika to stop both of them from hurting each other.

This book is also a serious and realistic version of the future, not including the fictional subjects. The reason the wall was built was to keep people from destroying the environment. Today we see examples of the environment changing because of our actions, examples include, deforestation, desertification, and pollution. If we continue going down this path we could end up like the people in the book. But, efforts are being made to make nature flourish again. Let’s hope we switch our paths.

This book is a great book that is about, courage, free will, and though it might not seem like it, peace. I would recommend this book to people who like reading action, adventure, and drama books.

message 16: by Emmie (new)

Emmie Sumski | 4 comments P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

"There's one thing, one really important thing I want to make sure of.
'Peter?'
'Yeah?'
'I don't want us to ever to break each other's hearts.'
Peter laughs easily, he cups my cheek in his hand. 'Are you planning on breaking my heart, Covey?'"

P.S. I Still Love You is a realistic fiction, romance book written by the incredible Jenny Han in 2015. It is the second book in the series of 3. The other 2 books are To All The Boys I've Loved Before and Always and Forever, Lara Jean. Jenny Han is an amazing author and I highly recommend reading this series and all of her other books!

This book was incredible. It makes you feel so many feelings. Joy, sadness, frustration, hope, disappointment (In a good way). You name it, this book will make you feel it!

Lara Jean Song Covey is the main character of the book and she is extremely relatable. From the very beginning, I made a connection with her! She's just a simple, innocent, quiet girl. She's very inquisitive and has complex thoughts that I somehow understand.

Lara Jean has 5 secret love letters kept away in a little hat box given to her by her mother. The letters aren't letters written to her. They are letters written to every boy she's ever loved. 5 in total: Peter, Josh, Lucas, John, and Kenny. One day, they somehow get sent out and one of the boys, Peter, confronts her about it. They end up making a compromise. They will be in a fake relationship so Peter's ex-girlfriend will become jealous and want him back and so Lara Jean doesn't have to talk to Josh, one of the recipients and her sister's ex-boyfriend.

It is such a cute and romantic book and I give it 5 out of 5 stars. I was always left with a longing to keep reading when I had to stop and when I finished the book I was so sad that it was over. You know a book is good when you finish it and you feel empty due to its absence! I would totally recommend this to my other peers. I want to share this joy with everyone!

message 17: by Reis (new)

Reis Schnepp | 4 comments Book: The Walk On Author: John Feinstein

"Alex had two days to show the coaches that a freshman should be practicing with the varsity." Alex Myers is new to Philidelphia, Pennsylvania, and he is trying to prove that he should be the starting quarterback for the high school football team, even though he is only a freshman. He has to overcome lots of different challenges in the book, but you will hear about that later. I loved this book, and I hope you will too.

The Author has a good way of making you fear the unknown, or what is coming next. For instance, in the game where they were playing KOP, both the first string and the second string cornerbacks got hurt. That meant that Alex would have to play. The game ended up coming down to the final seconds, and the author made it seem like we would never find out who would win. I think that the author did a great job with making us fear what was going to happen next.

Alex had to overcome a lot of different struggles throughout the book. In the text, it talks about how Alex was falsely accused of using steroids after the whole team took a blood test. He ended up overcoming that, and he figured out who had framed him. There are a lot of different things like that that Alex has to overcome.

The book is also pretty humorous. For instance, after every time Alex throws the ball, Matt Gordon, the starting quarterback calls him "Goldie". There are many other hilarious things in the book.

There is also a lot of drama that goes on in the book. For instance, a student news reporter wrote a segment about how Coach Gordon was running up the score in the Mercer game. Then Coach banned all news reporters from sitting in the press box or talking to the players. There is plenty of other drama in this book.

I would give this book a 10 out of 10 rating. It is so interesting, and the story just pulls you in. You feel like you are a character in the story. There are many ways that the author did an amazing job on this book. I think that this is the perfect book for you to read if you love football.

message 18: by EmilyH (last edited Sep 30, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

EmilyH | 4 comments Title: Beastly Author: Alex Finn
Kyle Kingsbury isn't your average high school student. His dad is a news reporter, he has a ton of friends, and he is extremely popular. Then he invites a girl he considers ugly to the dance and leaves her for someone else. The girl he left turned out to be someone, or something else. He is transformed into a beast. Fur, claws, and everything. His father is horrified and sends him to live with the maid by himself. He befriends his maid, Magna, and his blind tutor, Will. He is still lonely though. He catches an old man breaking into his rose garden, who trades his daughter for his freedom. Linda, his daughter, is angry at first but gets to know Kyle. Overall, it is a great book that I would recommend to teens and young adults.

One thing I noticed about this book is that it is very similar to Disney's movie, Beauty and the Beast. This doesn't make the book worse, I just noticed it quickly. It is more like a modern Beauty and the Beast, some things the same, some things different.

It is a pretty good book, and I enjoyed reading it. I would recommend this book to teens and young adults.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Whisper (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Clayton (other topics)