You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > September 2018 - The Ultimate Battle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention to Australian politics this week (anyone... *crickets*) but we have has some almighty battles going on this week. We have a new Prime Minister, after rolling the old one, and having a three way battle for the top job. And a lot of hyperbole has been thrown around (very odd, for Australians :P) . Like A LOT, even for us. So I was thinking through some of this and other hyperbolic battles that we talk about, and I thought, "Well... why not go for the big one?"

This month, we are reading a book with one of the following words in the title. I've just paired them in dichotomies so you can see where my thinking has come from. Any book with one of these words in the title is fine, although "verses" doesn't count.

- Good vs Evil
- Angels vs Demons
- Holy vs Corrupt
- Celestial vs Infernal
- Truth vs Lies

You can see the kind of language that has been used in some of the conversations over here for the past week. So, let's use it for a good read :D

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between Sept 1 to Sept 30, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – There is a fire on the cover (Atar, the holy fire of Zoroastrianism). We are talking holy fire, not a candle.
4 pts – There are two or more review quotes on the front cover
3 pts – There is a plane on the cover (Girls in Aviation Day)
2 pts – The cover is mainly yellow. If in doubt, please check http://labs.tineye.com/color/
1 pt – There is some mythological creature on the cover. Please explain for me.

Genre:
5 pts – Travel
4 pts – Sci-Fi
3 pts – Biography
2 pts – Classic (published 75+ years ago, 1943 and earlier)
1 pt – Humour

Title:
5 pts – Is one word
4 pts – Starts and ends with the same letter
3 pts – Has three words
2 pts – Starts with Y
1 pt – Has a subtitle

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 pts – 501+
4 pts - 401-500
3 pts - 301-400
2 pts – 201-300
1 pt - 200 or less

Bonus Sept Points (2pts each that apply):
2pts - The main character is a father (Father's Day here in Australia)
2pts - Your book has been banned somewhere at some time - Link to prove please (Banned Books Week)
2pts - The main character is a girl 15 or younger (Nativity of Mary)
2pts - The events of the book occur over a New Years Day in a culture eg. 1 Jan, Chinese New Year, Rosh Hashanah, Muharram, Enkutatash, etc. (Enkutatash)

message 2: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Preempting. Angel and Demon in the singular are acceptable,

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments Sounds like you're having fun there on the other side of the world, Rus ;-)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Excellent. Pretty sure I have multiple options.

message 5: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments Ha, that's what I thought too Sarah, but I own only 1 book that fits!

I really expected to have books with 'good' in the title, but I don't. The only one I could find was The Lies of Locke Lamora. But it's a bit chunky and I'm not sure if I want to start another (incomplete) fantasy series.

Rusalka, do subtitles/series titles count? If so, I could also use The Core (part of The Demon Cycle series) which I have planned to read in September anyway.

And also for the title points, is a series title considered a subtitle?

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Sorry Peggy. Title only, and subtitles only.

I need to do a series title challenge to make up for all the times I've been a hard arse.

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15225 comments Oh yay! The challenge is posted! I think I get a little too excited for these. More than is natural. Lol Can’t wait to gopher!

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments Rusalka wrote: "Sorry Peggy. Title only, and subtitles only.

I need to do a series title challenge to make up for all the times I've been a hard arse."

No worries, I kind of knew the answer already but you never know! You could be so preoccupied with all the politics that you suddenly say 'yes' to everything we ask ;-)

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Peggy wrote: "Sounds like you're having fun there on the other side of the world, Rus ;-)"

I think we are all incredibly over it. I talked on the phone today to a Dean of an Arts Faculty at an NZ Uni (so the equivalent of my boss) whom I had never talked to or met before. And he was paying the crap out of Australian politics to me on the phone.

I joined in wholeheartedly, but it took me a sec. Australian politics is worth the jokes, even if you don't know the person. I've got another 3 weeks of Kiwis having a dig at our politics until this Conference is over.

To be fair, and as I said to him on the phone, the best suggestion I have heard is that we declare war on NZ, and then surrender immediately. We get their PM then and finally a stable government.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments Hooray for gophering! I searched on kobo and amazon for all the fitting books I have on my wishlist but don't own to see if there happened to be a deal on one of the books. And finally, the last book I tried, was only $2.49 on Kobo.

So I guess I'll be reading Lies We Tell Ourselves. It won't give me many points though. It also worries me that Sandra gave it only 1 star, but we'll see.

message 11: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Rusalka, would you clarify 'holy fire'?

message 12: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling ?

message 13: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Great challenge,Rusalka...

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51931 comments I've been gophering and have about 5 books that fit. Now to investigate those further.

message 15: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments @Peggy, it was a DNF for me, but who knows? Hopefully you like it better than me. What I remember is the writing was annoying. Good luck!

message 16: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments Great challenge, Rus! I have been following the Australian mess only through the headlines, to be honest. I do not envy you, though

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Per my TBR list, I had one book come up twice in my gophering so I will look into it. I had quite a few books come up, based on the words, except for corrupt and celestial. I have one that looks good for the challenge, but I am not sure I really want to read it, except out of curiosity. Too many good choices!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I have 3 options, all with the word 'good'.
The Good People
Swords of Good Men
Good Behavior

I reckon it will be one of the latter two but we'll see.

message 19: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments The Good People is good, Sarah. Not that good as Burial Rites, though, in my opinion.

message 20: by Margo (last edited Aug 28, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Great topic Rusalka :-)

I found loads on my shelf! My to contenders so far are The Good Life, The Good Samaritan or Let Me Lie.

P.S. Is "lie" singular acceptable Rus?

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments I agree with Sandra. I also found it a bit bleak and depressing, so you may need to be in the mood for it.

message 23: by Almeta (last edited Aug 28, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10538 comments Wow! I already had Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil scheduled for September.

Let's see how many points it will give me.

ETA lol! It looks like a glue stick winner.☺

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15225 comments I have so many!! After excluded anything that was too short or had a compound word or that I already read, etc, I ended up with 39 on my TBR and I own 27 of the books that fit this challenge that I have not read yet! I have physical books, Kindle, and audio editions, so I'm sure I'll be reading one that I already own.

I think I am going to read Pretty Ugly Lies. I'm also considering Lies right now. Of course, I have plenty of options, so I may change my mind but those are currently my top two.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments @Peggy and Sandra - I started it before, struggled because it was depressing and i wasn't in the mood for it. I'm guessing i won't be in the mood for it in September either. I'm leaning towards Good Behavior qt the moment because it's shortish.

message 26: by Jayme, Moderator (new)

message 27: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2492 comments I'm thinking of Angels & Demons, but we'll see how my month plays out

message 28: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments I've been wanting to read The Angel Experiment for a while now, and the ebook is available from my library. That's what I'll read this next month.

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Lanelle wrote: "Rusalka, would you clarify 'holy fire'?"

Sorry, I mean like it has to be a fire. Not a spark. Not a flame. A fire.

message 30: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Margo wrote: "P.S. Is "lie" singular acceptable Rus? "

Good point. Let's go yes.

message 31: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments Rusalka wrote: "Lanelle wrote: "Rusalka, would you clarify 'holy fire'?"

Sorry, I mean like it has to be a fire. Not a spark. Not a flame. A fire."

Thank you.

message 32: by Sandra, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 03:19AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments If I have time to get to this challenge I might go with A Good Fall by Ha Jon.

message 33: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments Hey, I have a question. I want to do this challenge, but I’m not reading in English. Is that a problem? I could refer to the English version (cover, title etc)

message 34: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments Great that you are joining the challenge Fiona! :)

Do you already have a book in mind? That might make it easier for Rusalka to decide on whether you can use it and how to score it.

message 35: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments I am also tempted to read A Good Marriage by Stephen King

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Sandra wrote: "I am also tempted to read A Good Marriage by Stephen King"

I read this as part of one of his novella collection. I remember liking it.

message 37: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 03:56AM) (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17853 comments Fiona wrote: "Hey, I have a question. I want to do this challenge, but I’m not reading in English. Is that a problem? I could refer to the English version (cover, title etc)"

Welcome to YLTO, Fiona. You can totally join in, and read a non -English book. You will need to use the cover of the book you are reading for your points. And you can also use the actual title for the points.

What you will need to do is tell me the title and which word translates to which English word on my list.

message 38: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments @Sarah, I am very confused about the page counting of this one. Every where it says it is a novella, what means around 100 pages (not enough for the challenge) but according to GR the Kindle version is over 300. Maybe it is actually a novella collection as you said. I will check it out to see what exactly is this about.

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 392 comments I think I’ll read Lies
Lies by T.M. Logan

message 40: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Rusalka wrote: "Margo wrote: "P.S. Is "lie" singular acceptable Rus? "

Good point. Let's go yes."

Great. I will probably read Let Me Lie then :-)

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51931 comments Sandra wrote: "@Sarah, I am very confused about the page counting of this one. Every where it says it is a novella, what means around 100 pages (not enough for the challenge) but according to GR the Kindle versio..."

I looked at amazon and it says that it's 305 pages based on the print edition. But I think it's referring to the anthology it's included in, Full Dark, No Stars, which is 368 pages because I couldn't find the ISBN they quoted.

Rusalka is going to have to rule on this one for you.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments @Sandra - I think it was a larger story within the book that Janice mentioned but not 300 pages long.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments A couple of the translations are just over 100 pages which seems more likely but still under the page limit.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15225 comments If you look at the ebook edition, below the description it says, "ebook, with bonus story '1922', 253 pages." So, I think the 253 pages is for two stories.

message 45: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments Ok, I put a hold on it. It's not obvious I will get it before the end of the month but if I do I will see what the book includes, how many pages it has, and ask Rusalka to rule on it according to what I find.
I still can read The Good Fall by Ha Jon.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 29, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Kristie | 15225 comments Good idea, Sandra. Hope you get it early.

message 47: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments I seem to only have one book on my kindle that fits the criteria. As I'm trying to get through what I already have it looks like I will be reading The Good Son although I don't think it will score me too many points.

message 48: by Almeta (last edited Aug 29, 2018 01:23PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10538 comments Sarah wrote: "Sandra wrote: "I am also tempted to read A Good Marriage by Stephen King"

I read this as part of one of his novella collection. I remember liking it."

YES. Part of Full Dark, No Stars

ETA: I see some one has already mentioned this. Sorry for the repetition.

message 49: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments Almera, :) this group is awesome. One comes with a "problem" and everyone is eager to help!

message 50: by Cherie (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Almeta wrote: "Wow! I already had Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil scheduled for September..."

I thought it was a really good story, Almeta. My daughter gave it to me to read it a few years ago. I had another of this author's books come up in my TBR list for this challenge, but I am going with another.

I will read The Good the Bad and the Infernal. I have already requested it from my library.

« previous 1 3