Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Shelter in Place
This topic is about Shelter in Place
Non-Linda Books of the Month > September '18 Non-LH BOTM - Shelter In Place

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
Sometimes, there is nowhere safe to hide.

It was a typical evening at a mall outside Portland, Maine. Three teenage friends waited for the movie to start. A boy flirted with the girl selling sunglasses. Mothers and children shopped together, and the manager at the video-game store tended to customers. Then the shooters arrived.

The chaos and carnage lasted only eight minutes before the killers were taken down. But for those who lived through it, the effects would last forever. In the years that followed, one would dedicate himself to a law enforcement career. Another would close herself off, trying to bury the memory of huddling in a ladies' room, hopelessly clutching her cell phone--until she finally found a way to pour her emotions into her art.

But one person wasn't satisfied with the shockingly high death toll at the DownEast Mall. And as the survivors slowly heal, find shelter, and rebuild, they will discover that another conspirator is lying in wait--and this time, there might be nowhere safe to hide.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I listened to this one a few weeks ago and loved it! Looking forward to participating in the discussion.

message 3: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Me too :)

CD {Boulder Blvd} (boulderblvd) | 1047 comments I read this one back in June and was one of LH's fans who wasn't impressed with it. It will be interesting to see others take on the book and I'll keep my comments to a minimum.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments I liked it, but thought the romance was woefully lacking.

message 6: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments It was good and engaging story but one thing bothered me -- the villain is named early on, so not much of mystery around that. I skipped those POVs and found them annoying.

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Anita wrote: "I liked it, but thought the romance was woefully lacking."

You are right Anita. Romance could have been done much better. They met so late and then suddendly they were just ... together and in love. It kinda felt like the heroine's grandmother CiCi had more chemistry with the hero than she did :)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) This was more like a mystery with romantic elements as the balance was definitely tilted towards the suspense side. That actually works for me:)

I thought her focus on the impact on the survivors who weren’t injured was enlightening. It offered some insights into hidden trauma not quite so obvious to the outsider, how many made life/career choices because of that event.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Eve wrote: "It was good and engaging story but one thing bothered me -- the villain is named early on, so not much of mystery around that. I skipped those POVs and found them annoying."

I was actually surprised about that but then realized Nora made her a secondary aspect of the story by identifying her.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments Jonetta wrote: "This was more like a mystery with romantic elements as the balance was definitely tilted towards the suspense side. That actually works for me:)

I thought her focus on the impact on the survivors ..."

I agree, it was more mystery with romantic elements than a true romantic-suspense. I really liked the depth of characters, even the baddie. It was a very well crafted story and the suspense was really the strongest element.

message 11: by Eve (last edited Sep 05, 2018 11:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Agreed -- it was more of suspense than romance. It also raised questions -- what happens "after" to the survivors. How something like this will affect and shape their future and lives. And not only survivors change, lives of their families and others will also be different after something so horrific.
This story has hope, shows rebuilding and reshaping of lives, but it also shows that love can come in many forms and that everyone should have shelter in place where they can feel safe and loved.

We also see warm tribute to those who died in that sensless shooting.
..everyone knows that while we have to go on, we can never, should never, forget.

I so love CiCi
“Two of the top rules—Try Not to Hurt Anybody, and Have the Balls to Say What You Think—often clashed, but the results blended with her Be An Asshole When Necessary rule, so it worked for her.”

message 12: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 983 comments Overall, I really liked this book. I wasn't so sure as I read Part 1, but Parts 2 and 3 definitely made up for what was lacking for me in the first segment. I thought Roberts' handling of the mass shooting issue was well done and very pertinent to the times we live in. I especially appreciated the insight into the "survivors" and the issues that they and their families faced.

Roberts does a wonderful job of developing her characters and giving them depth.

message 13: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
I finished reading Shelter In Place couple nights back and just caught up with all of your comments. Some excellent points. :)

I agree that this book relied heavily on suspense rather than the romance. While I would have liked the romance aspect to have been done better and built up more, for me, it didn't take away from the rest of the story.

Essentially, this was a story about the survivors, whether they were at the mall at the time of the shooting or not. Families, friends, close ones, first responders who witnessed the devastation, people lost, bonds forged.
It was intense and very difficult to read but Nora handled it all so beautifully, following each character deal with the aftermath and how it affected and influenced them. I feel like NR is expanding her focus from the hero and heroine slowly to include many others as well, especially in the aftermath of a tragic incident, like in Year One.

Different from her previous books, I'm beginning to enjoy this side of the human nature that she is now bringing forward - who people become when faced with tragedy, insurmountable pain, loss and how do they cope? Does such an event change them or just break out their true self, hiding inside all this time?

It's also fascinating to see the chain of events or the numerous little things that can add up bit by bit over time and set someone off on such a dangerous path - and sometimes, it doesn't take much.

I really enjoyed the audiobook of Shelter In Place - listened to it on 2x speed.

Here's my complete review with more of my thoughts:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...