Reading 1001 discussion

The Stranger
This topic is about The Stranger
1001 book reviews > The Stranger (or, The Outsider) by Albert Camus

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 111 comments 4* - Mersault's detachment and failure to engage in societal norms is so effective in posing questions to the reader. I'm not sure Camus provides any answers, but raises philosophical questions while at the same time a cracking good read. I'm very keen now to pick up The Meursault Investigation. I didn't love this quite as much as The Plague, but it's still great.

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 481 comments I actually reread this book so that I could remember what happened before reading The Meursault Investigation, by Daoud. I still don't find this book particularly fantastic. The main character is ok, just a dude who is not particularly emotional and who is matter-of-fact about everything. But he is also really clueless about how people react to him, and he and everyone around him seem to like overreacting to stuff, beyond what I found realistic. The nonchalant way the main character goes about murdering the Arab on the beach was interesting and also the way he just accepts his death sentence the way he's accepted everything else. But I did not find anything much to make me think this book was amazing enough to be on major booklists. I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads, but would not have included it on my version of a 1001 list.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4248 comments Mod
Read 2016
Weather:
The weather is hot. Late afternoon sun. It is very hot the day of the funeral and the long walk. In chapter three the sky is green. The bright sun feels like a "slap in the face," Light hurts his eyes.
never intended to kill the Arab… that he only did so because of the sun. as the sun sets outside and it begins to cool, the jury.

Sex: yes there is sex and Camus uses the euphemism, "the next day" which lets us know.

Disease: the old man and diseased dog that look like each other

Review I read this book because it is set in Algeria but of course that is not an important part of the book especially because the book is about meaninglessness. It is a book of philosophy. Camus considered himself a philosopher of the absurd. This book is exactly that rather absurd. There is a lot of things that speak of death; the old decaying dog, the funeral of the narrator's mother and the killing. the trial. Is there any meaning to life. Mostly the main character is passive, he doesn't love or hate anything. He just exists. The other characters are more typical of people we all know and in the story, they appear crazy compared to Meursault.

Quotes:
"Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from the home: “Mother deceased. Funeral tomorrow." According to the translater, Matthew Ward, it is important that the first line be translated Maman rather than mother as this is closer to the what Camus was trying to say in French with the first sentence. The first sentence also gives us the feeling of indifference and of meaningless of life/death.

"Everything is true and nothing is true" an absurd statement made at the trial.