Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 9th mini-poll results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 3:
- A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet
- A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life
- A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc)

Bottom:
- A book that is “good for you”
- A book with a circus/carnival/amusement park setting
- A book that names a drink in its title
- A book by, or about, a current or former journalist

Polarising:
- Two books - one inspired by the word high and one inspired by the word low
- A portal fiction

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

The next round of suggestions will open tomorrow, Wednesday 29 August, at 16.00 EDT.

message 2: by dalex (last edited Aug 28, 2018 03:19AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Looks like I'll be adding a lot of topics to my reject plan this week. So many fantastic prompts that didn't get chosen, again.

Two of the tops - sense of place and criminal - were top votes for me. The other top - owned 1+ year - was a bottom for me, just because I'm primarily a library user. My other two top votes - experimental and Victorian/neo-Victorian - are nowhere on the list.

Two of my bottoms are on the bottom - circus and good for you. My other bottom is polarizing - portal fiction.

message 3: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments Well not a great week for me. None of my top picks made it and one of my two bottom choices did. I think I'll take a broad view of a book I've owned for at least a year and haven't read and pick one of my husband's books. Communal property, what's your is mine and all that...

message 4: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments One of my top is at the bottom, one is polarizing and the rest are nowhere to be seen :'( and one of my bottom is at the top :'((

message 5: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments oh I don't like prompts about books you own, because I read library books. I guess I can find a few books lying around the house, but they haven't been read ... because I don't want to read them. (but maybe I will find a hidden gem!!!) I don't think I voted for any of the winners this round, I have to check my notes.

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
I hope we go back to 15 prompts next week. 20 votes just spreads them out too much...

Of the winning prompts, I had one in my top (sense of place), one that I almost voted for (owned for more than a year), and one in my bottom (criminal).

Of the bottom prompts, I had downvoted the carnival setting, but the rest of them were fine for me either way.

Of the polarizing, the high/low prompt was in my top, and I didn't vote either way for portal.

Disappointing round of results for me this week. I'm glad to see circus is out, but I'm not looking forward to criminal. I may end up reading a dystopian novel with a rebel girl. Criminal, but someone I can root for.

I wonder why we are having so much trouble getting a 2-week prompt voted in. Are people downvoting them because they are multiweek? They always seem to turn up as polarizing.

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Also, community spreadsheet is updated!

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

For those of you who don't have books to read that you own, you can always go buy a book today and save it for August of next year 😂

message 9: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Emily wrote: "I wonder why we are having so much trouble getting a 2-week prompt voted in. Are people downvoting them because they are multiweek? They always seem to turn up as polarizing. "

I guess the silent majority is just not interested! I voted for the man/woman same job prompt, that didn't show up at all.

message 10: by Avery (last edited Aug 28, 2018 04:47AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments If you don’t own a lot of books, you can also take it as “a book you’ve had on hold at the library for at least a year" or "a book you've been meaning to read for at least a year."

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 2191 comments I hope high/low gets re-submitted! I really thought it'd get in based on the discussion. Both the polarising topics were my tops.

Considering I loved most the options this time, the winners are a bit meh for me. Book I've owned >1 year is too easy, I'm not going to get through my 400+ backlog before the end of the year. I down-voted it though because I was thinking of those who use the library.

The criminal character will probably be easy enough to fulfil with fantasy so I don't mind it. I think sense of place is a hard one to know before you've read the book.

message 12: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments @Avery that is a good idea. I was going to suggest that those of us who use the library technically own the books because our taxes paid for them.

I only buy books that I have already read and will reread many times over.

I like the criminal prompt. It will be interesting. For those of you who like Margaret Attwood, Alias Grace is about a criminal.

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Nadine wrote: "I guess the silent majority is just not interested! I voted for the man/woman same job prompt, that didn't show up at all."

I voted against it, so we cancelled either other out. 😊 I have a strange aversion to prompts about occupations for some reason.

Emily - maybe one of the true crime books on your 40 before 40 list for the criminal prompt?

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments I chose the prompt a book owned for more than a year. I debated that prompt with the Victorian one because many of the books I own are old classics. I went for the more general prompt in case I chose a newer book at the time.

People can also download classics for free now, and then read one in a year.

message 15: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 648 comments Sophie wrote: "I chose the prompt a book owned for more than a year. I debated that prompt with the Victorian one because many of the books I own are old classics. I went for the more general prompt in case I cho..."

Good point, Sophie. The Count of Monte Cristo is the first free book I ever downloaded years ago. I still haven't read it.

message 16: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments I'm a little surprised that there are no GR Listopia lists for "criminal protagonists"!!

I found two short lists of books SHELVED as "criminal protagonist" (or main character), but the listopias seem to be for "villains." A villain and a criminal are not necessarily the same thing.

I've got some ideas already, but I always like to look at more!

message 17: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments I wasn't excited about these winners at first but I've already added the suggestions on my list for next year. I added Alias Grace and The Night Circus.

I buy used books at library sales and when I see the ones I want on clearance at Books a Million for $3 to $5, so I have a stack of books that I've had for over a year. That prompt is easy for me. I didn't vote for it but it is no problem for me to fill. I either buy second hand books or clearance books for a quarter of the books I read and then the library for about half of the books. The other quarter come from gifts. I ask for books for presents from my family.

message 18: by Ira (last edited Aug 28, 2018 05:43AM) (new)

Ira | 309 comments Nadine wrote: "I'm a little surprised that there are no GR Listopia lists for "criminal protagonists"!!

I found two short lists of books SHELVED as "criminal protagonist" (or main character), but the listopias ..."

Maybe we could make a list. Im interested in what books people would add to the list. There are so many options, and maybe those not so keen on the idea would get inspired

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Well darn. I really thought the high/low topic was inspired and somewhat unique.

message 20: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 28, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "For those of you who don't have books to read that you own, you can always go buy a book today and save it for August of next year 😂"

hahaha, stressful day yesterday, i think I bought 4 middle grade new releases on my kindle , so this is actually a great idea.

Although I have tons of shelves full of crap I haven't gotten around to...

Plenty to choose from for that one, its almost going to be too hard. I'll put it something on my plan and then end up mood reading for that week I'm sure.

I don't even remember what I voted for or against, this week was so hard for me.

message 21: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tammy wrote: "Well darn. I really thought the high/low topic was inspired and somewhat unique."

Yup: I had mine picked out for this...going straight to the rejects list

message 22: by Kat (new)

Kat | 341 comments I only buy or download books that I want to read right then so think I'll be taking the communal approach and find something in the house that someone else bought.

message 23: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Sad to see that the Bildungsroman didn't get in this time. I guess I was pretty off, most of the prompts I voted for is not included anywhere.

Not the greatest fan of the criminal prompt here, but I guess Lolita could work? I have always thought I should read it, but I'm afraid it will be too disturbing for me. When I think of it, I guess a lot of classics could work, such as The Count of Monte Cristo, Crime and Punishment, Treasure Island or East of Eden. So problem solved it seems ;)

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

I'm thinking maybe The Godfather for the criminal prompt.

message 25: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

I found this thread about books with a Strong Sense of Place in my other bookclubs archives recently, so I thought I'd share it....
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Not too much listed in there, but ....its related

message 26: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I was so excited by all the good choices this week but the results are a little disappointing for me as well. Only one of my top (sense of place) made it and another (high/low) was polarizing. I'm not upset about the other tops but I'm not super excited either.

I only chose two bottoms and both are in the bottom so I'm happy about that.

I am surprised about high/low but it goes to show that the majority of voters don't participate in the discussion so we never really know which way things will go.

I'm hoping we go back to 15 suggestions this week too. Also, there was some talk about doing a poll exclusively with polarizing prompts but I don't think the mods ever weighed in. Is that an option? I would love to see that since there have been so many good ones that ended up in that category.

message 27: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Tracy wrote: "I'm thinking maybe The Godfather for the criminal prompt."

Good idea!

message 28: by Cheri (last edited Aug 28, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Nadine wrote: "I'm a little surprised that there are no GR Listopia lists for "criminal protagonists"!!

I found two short lists of books SHELVED as "criminal protagonist" (or main character), but the listopias ..."

** edit - Oops -- I just realized these are in fact shelves! But it's still true that I find GR lists much faster on google than on GR. **
There are some GR Listopia lists for that. I usually search GR Listopia on Google and find them much faster than searching on GR! The GR search is not the best. Here are two lists I found:

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 29: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 28, 2018 07:13AM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
I was really surprised to see the "owned book" prompt in the top since the overall discussion seemed to be against it. I don't buy books often since I'm a library user also. I may have to go with Emily's idea and buy one at Half Priced Books this weekend :P

message 30: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Jody, that's a great idea... true crime would fit the prompt close enough to make me feel fine about using it.

message 31: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Weirdly, it's difficult to locate a list of books that have criminal characters which are not crime/mystery/thriller books. I know there are billions of options in multiple genres, especially in historical fiction and fantasy.

"Sense of place" is difficult to research, also. You can sometimes tell by the synopsis or comments but generally, no.

message 32: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments Doesn't almost every mystery have a criminal character? The prompt doesn't say the criminal has to be the main character, just that the book has to have a criminal in it. That makes it much easier.

message 33: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Cheri wrote: "Doesn't almost every mystery have a criminal character? The prompt doesn't say the criminal has to be the main character, just that the book has to have a criminal in it. That makes it much easier."

True, I might just end up with a crime novel. Was trying to think of other books that could fit, but this is for sure the easy way out.

message 34: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Yes searching for lists of books with criminals gives me lots of crime novels. But I want to read a book with a criminal as the main character. I've got several good ideas and I am obsessed with lists so if I can't find a list it will be fun to make a list!!!

message 35: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 154 comments For the criminal one, I highly recommend Agent Zigzag. It’s a nonfiction narrative book about Eddie Chapman, a petty criminal who happened to be in jail in Guernsey when the Nazis invaded. He offered to be a spy for them, but then offered to become a double agent for the Allies. For a while, you don’t really know which side he is on. Nonetheless, he is endearing and charming, so you really root for him to be on the right side. The book is also funny at times. In the end, Chapman has a major impact on the war. It’s worth a read, and different from other “criminal” books.

I read the book a few years ago, and recently listened to the audio on a long road trip with my husband. The audio is narrated by the same guy who narrates Ken Follett’s Century Trilogy. I recommend both.

message 36: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 473 comments Nadine wrote: "Yes searching for lists of books with criminals gives me lots of crime novels. But I want to read a book with a criminal as the main character. I've got several good ideas and I am obsessed with li..."

In regards to criminal characters in non-crime novels, if you like thriller/suspense, I feel like any of Peter Swanson's books will work (The Kind Worth Killing, Her Every Fear, The Girl with a Clock for a Heart). His books have criminals as main characters in the sense that they're fugitives, on the run, connected to murders, etc. Also I think The Passenger fits this prompt!

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments So far NONE of my votes have made the top 3 or 4. Guess I will stop voting. Makes me wonder about my reading choices.

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Wow, I was not expecting these results. I feel that this week is another example that the discussion is held by just a few of us compared to the much larger percentage that vote on the polls.

Out of my top four votes, one was polarizing (high/low) and the other three were not mentioned anywhere.

I only had two bottom votes, one of which was in the bottom (circus/carnival/amusement park) and the other was not mentioned anywhere.

I think the top three will be easy enough to fill (especially the book I've owned for at least a year - I have a ton!!!), but out of all the choices, I'm a little disappointed in them. Aside from my top four, which I obviously had hoped at least one or two would make the final top four, there were a lot of others that I had above these on my list.

Oh, well. I have never done a rejects challenge before, but there are so many that I have liked this year that didn't make it, I may have to do one next year.

message 39: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 2191 comments There are more lists for criminals if you search for each type.

Assassins: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
Pirates: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Thieves: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...
Con Men, Gamblers and Hustlers: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
Serial Killers: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I think a lot of psychological thrillers have criminal main characters but I guess sometimes it's a bit of a spoiler to say so.

message 40: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3279 comments Well this is the most off I think I have ever been. One each of my top and bottom votes were polarizing. One of my bottoms was a bottom. And NOTHING else that I voted up or down made the list anywhere. That is so strange. I guess the up side is that the 3 winners were not one that I had strong opinions about either way. *shrug*

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Nicole.".Oh, well. I have never done a rejects challenge before, but there are so many that I have liked this year that didn't make it, I may have to do one next year".
I'm with you. This may be a good year to read the rejects. As long as it is 52 books, who cares. The objective is reading and enjoying.

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Ann wrote: "Nicole.".Oh, well. I have never done a rejects challenge before, but there are so many that I have liked this year that didn't make it, I may have to do one next year".
I'm with you. This may be a..."

Exactly! I'm actually pretty excited about the idea. :)

message 43: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Good, me too. More chances to be creative.

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Maybe three prompts next year should be, "read a topic that was rejected that you voted for." At least three books would be what I want and the rest I would go for.

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments Sophie wrote: "For the criminal one, I highly recommend Agent Zigzag. It’s a nonfiction narrative book about Eddie Chapman, a petty criminal who happened to be in jail in Guernsey when the Nazis invaded. He offer..."

Another addition to my TBR. Sounds good, Sophie.

message 46: by dalex (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:17AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments An interesting twist on the criminal prompt would be a book where a person does something criminal (ie against the law) but their motivation isn't really badness.

For example, a homosexual character in a book set before 1960/1970 was technically a "criminal." (The same is true for a more modern book if it is set in a country were homosexuality is still against the law.) There are other topics that would fit the prompt in this way - interracial marriage, abortion, bootlegging. These were all criminal activities but the perpetrators weren't really criminals.

Or there are books where a character is forced, by circumstances or superiors, to do something criminal, like in Les Misérables Jean Valjean steals a loaf of bread because he is starving or in The Orphan Master's Son the protagonist is forced by his government to become a professional kidnapper. Spies/double agents/resistors would also count, I think, because they are doing something treasonous against their country but for what they believe to be a good cause.

There are ways to do this prompt without reading a thriller with a horrible bad terrible awful monster of a bad guy.

message 47: by Liz (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Liz | 509 comments I'm a bit disappointed in the results. I know I will be able to find great books for all of the top results (I almost voted for sense of place, & I have plenty of books on my shelf that have been there for years!), but I was really hoping for some others. Both of the polarizing topics were in my top, & my other two top didn't make any list (red, white & blue flag and victorian/neo-victorian).

message 48: by Liz (new)

Liz | 509 comments Ann wrote: "Maybe three prompts next year should be, "read a topic that was rejected that you voted for." At least three books would be what I want and the rest I would go for."

I like this idea. Read 2 or 3 books that are from rejected prompts - that would allow for someone to do multi-book prompts as well).

message 49: by Liz (new)

Liz | 509 comments I also like the "good for you" prompt, even though I didn't vote for it. There are so many ways that one can go (about something going on in your life right now, set in a place where you're going to visit, a book that makes you laugh, a book that will help you connect with someone around you - that would be reading a book that my son loves, so we can discuss it, . . .).

message 50: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Just a comment on the 15 versus 20 suggestions. We went down to 15 suggestions in the hopes that we'd get less of a spread in the results, but we didn't find it to have any marked effect, which is why we went back to 20 suggestions this time.

« previous 1