THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Book rated but inexistent rater

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alberto Vieira (manuelalbertovieira) Hi,

Could you help me understand an apparent inconsistency?

A few days ago (August 25) someone rated one of my books with 1 star. However, even though the rating appears on the stats, the rating and the profile are invisible/nonexistent.

When clicking «Rating Details: Filter: 1 Star», the message below is: No Matching Reviews.

Thanks in advance and here's the book page:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 2: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments I'm not sure how to answer your question, but a day or so ago I too received a one star, and that's ok, I understand not everyone likes the same book. But, what I discovered is this person rated about 100 books one star on the same day. Was your rating from a male?

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alberto Vieira (manuelalbertovieira) June wrote: "I'm not sure how to answer your question, but a day or so ago I too received a one star, and that's ok, I understand not everyone likes the same book. But, what I discovered is this person rated ab..."

I have no problem with the one star rating. What's disturbing (?) is that the person in question is invisible. Has no profile. Neither public nor private. The rating appears only on the stats, but with no profile associated.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven (goodreadscomstevenkerry) | 138 comments It may be a glitch in the machinery, so to speak, but if it is just some (existent) person who cannot or will not offer some sort of explanation of why they rated it one star I would ignore it. In fact, a published (not self-published) writer told me she ignores all reviews and ratings because "I write for myself". To a greater extent than we might admit or be aware of I think we all write for ourselves, so she has a point although few writers would be able to completely ignore all reader feedback. I frankly think she was probably overstating this defensive position even in her own case. Such sensitivity is a double-edged sword; we need it to write effectively, yet it can also hurt us post-publication if we all ow it to. Most classic books, including a celebrated novel by Hemingway, have a number of one star reviews. If we start crucifying ourselves on the cross of ratings and reviews we will go mad or, at the least, it will make us miserable. I have tried to take a position in which I learn what I can from criticism of my work while also not be hopelessly dependent upon adulation, stars, and ratings. Expressing oneself creatively should not be an exercise in self torment; joyful creativity cannot flourish in such bitter and troubled waters for long, nor can good personal health. The romanticism of "tortured artists" is, if not scorned, at least looked upon with a cool and jaded eye in our era of flood-gate self-expression and equal opportunity creativity.

message 5: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alberto Vieira (manuelalbertovieira) Steven wrote: "It may be a glitch in the machinery, so to speak, but if it is just some (existent) person who cannot or will not offer some sort of explanation of why they rated it one star I would ignore it. In ..."

Sorry, dear Steven. I deleted my previous comment while trying to edit it.

As I was saying, I'm just expressing my pure ignorance. I would like to know if it's a glitch or if is possible to navigate and rate in Goodreads without leaving a trace. Because, if the second is possible, I will be informed and therefore know the platform better.

My relationship with my published work is not the issue.

All the best.

message 6: by Jim (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic It is important to remember that the vast majority of avid readers choose not to ever post a rating or review on a literary website or periodical. The minority that do are merely expressing their personal, and therefore, subjective opinion. One reader's "Worst book ever!" might very well be another's "Best book ever!"

Commercially successful authors focus upon striving to continuously improve technical writing skills (spelling, grammar, syntax, narrative technique, and plot/sub-plot development) rather than upon ratings and reviews - positive or negative.

Very few aspiring authors ever become commercially successful in this extremely competitive environment; however, some do. There is no reason why you might not eventually become one of them. I wish you success.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (brasscastle) | 261 comments Steven wrote: "If we start crucifying ourselves on the cross of ratings and reviews we will go mad ..."

I've been mad for years ... ;-)

(Hi, Stephen, good to see you again.)

Sally

message 8: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 9 comments If the reviewer no longer exists on GR the account could have been deleted as bogus or the person deleted his/her own account. In either case the rating should be removed since the reviewer is now nonexistent.

message 9: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments M.L. wrote: "If the reviewer no longer exists on GR the account could have been deleted as bogus or the person deleted his/her own account. In either case the rating should be removed since the reviewer is now ..."

Thank you for a voice of reason to this question rather than about the one star thoughts.

message 10: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments Manuel wrote: "June wrote: "I'm not sure how to answer your question, but a day or so ago I too received a one star, and that's ok, I understand not everyone likes the same book. But, what I discovered is this pe..."

I get that. My answer was not to focus on the one star but misuse of the rating system. And finally a meaningful answer to your question comes from M.L. below.

message 11: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi Manual. It appears this was a caching issue on our side. I've refreshed your ratings and they should now be correct!

message 12: by Julian (new)

Julian Hilton | 21 comments I had also had some wonderment at a reviewer who had posted three stars for my book, the three stars I didn't mind - but the 'cute but pointless' review stung a little :0).

However on looking up this reviewer, I noticed they'd left the same identical review word for word for another book. I was left wondering who's book the worded review was really for, mine or the other....

It did make me wonder if the system could be up for abuse by people who might get a kick out of turning people away from books just out of a sense of bedevilment...

message 13: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alberto Vieira (manuelalbertovieira) Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Manual. It appears this was a caching issue on our side. I've refreshed your ratings and they should now be correct!"

Thank you very much, Jacklyn. Now the stats are consistent.

message 14: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alberto Vieira (manuelalbertovieira) Manuel wrote: "Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Manual. It appears this was a caching issue on our side. I've refreshed your ratings and they should now be correct!"

Thank you very much, Jacklyn. Now the stats are consistent."

*Jaclyn

message 15: by June (new)

June Ahern (juneahern) | 78 comments Julian wrote: "I had also had some wonderment at a reviewer who had posted three stars for my book, the three stars I didn't mind - but the 'cute but pointless' review stung a little :0).

However on looking up ..."

A thought I had also when a one star (and I accept can't please everyone) - the person rated near 100 books, same day with a one star. I wonder what he got out of doing that?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 137 comments Hard to say. Some people mass rate when they're new to the site. Some people use 1 star as best, and 5 as worst. (I don't get it either, but I know users who do this.) Some people rate books on their to-read list by the order they're going to read them.

message 17: by Christine (last edited Sep 17, 2018 01:32AM) (new)

Christine Hartweg | 2 comments I wonder if the glitch described above might have happened here also: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

There have been two 1 star ratings for about a week now, but only one of them appears in the reviews section with a name etc.
Thanks!

message 18: by Shaun (last edited Sep 17, 2018 03:01AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Christine wrote: "I wonder if the glitch described here might have happened here also..."

I've manually refreshed the data feeding to that book page so you should see that data updated now. At the time of writing this there was one 1-star review and seven ratings in total.

The site works on a caching system so, depending on server workload at any given time, sometimes it can take a while for data to update and match across the site.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine Hartweg | 2 comments Thanks a lot!

عبدالخالق كلاليب Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Manual. It appears this was a caching issue on our side. I've refreshed your ratings and they should now be correct!"
hi
i have the same problem
would you please refresh mine?
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 21: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments عبدالخالق wrote: "hi
i have the same problem
would you please refresh mine?"

I checked and the book stats seem to be correct. The cache has refreshed on its own.

message 22: by Shveta (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) Hi! I'm also curious why it says I have 292 to-read adds on my book, but I can only see 36. (This is the link to my book, if anyone has any idea why that might be: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...)

Thanks!

message 23: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Shveta wrote: "Hi! I'm also curious why it says I have 292 to-read adds on my book, but I can only see 36."

Hi Shveta! We don't list every "to read" under the Community Reviews header. Only a few "to reads" are listed there until you have more than 30 ratings and reviews, which will push out the "to reads" slowly. Ratings and reviews take precedence over "to reads" as they hold more weight when it comes to a reader who's researching the book in question.

That said, you'll still be able to check how many users have marked a book as "to-read" – just click on "Rating Details" near the top of the book page. You can see the total number of "to-reads" at the lower left corner of the pop-up.

description

I hope that helps!

message 24: by Shveta (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) This is a great explanation! Thanks, Shaun. :)