Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Down and Out in Paris and London
This topic is about Down and Out in Paris and London
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Down and Out in Paris and London [Dec 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Dec 10th.

message 2: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments In!!

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan My first thought on seeing this here was, "Is this fantasy?" I was expecting another author to show up as I was familiar with the title even though I haven't read the book.

I'm gonna note this and see if I can make this thread, as I haven't read this book, and I'm sure I would enjoy it.

The thing about Orwell, is that regardless of what he actually writes about, he writes beautifully, with an uncommon ability to get out of the way of the reader.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Bump

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Starting early. Been years since my last Orwell. Hoping you can join, Beste and Graeme.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Page 73. Loving this. Orwell really can write about anything and make interesting. He described living in poverty in super detailed manner and one can't help living it with him. Talking about immersiveness (is that a word?) in nonfiction.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just started this :)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Oh thank goodness, I am not alone!

I am reading this just a few chapters per sitting. When I was waiting for a meeting yesterday it became a conversation starter so that's nice to see someone else appreciates a book LOL

I believe I am at page 136 and so far has been fascinated with the detailed description of living in Paris (and soon London). This is not a book you want to read in a restaurant, though. (view spoiler) or maybe in a hotel, if you will.

Forgor to mention that Chapter 2 was actually kind of shocking for me, because it gives description about (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Silvana wrote: "Oh thank goodness, I am not alone!

I am reading this just a few chapters per sitting. When I was waiting for a meeting yesterday it became a conversation starter so that's nice to see someone else..."

Agree with your spoiler. (view spoiler)

I'm at chapter 27. The writing style is very easy to read and engaging.
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Just finished! How far along are you, silvana?

message 11: by Silvana (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I finished too a couple of days ago. It was really great, as expected from Orwell. I did enjoy the Paris parts better, because it was more colorful. But the way he described the beggar life in London and living in those dorms was quite moving as well.

I didn't really know why he suddenly decided to move back to London. It seemed really sudden. Was he already fed up with the Paris restaurant? Looks like the life in London was not any better.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Yes, paris was definitely more colorful!
He moved back because (view spoiler)

message 13: by Angela Jr. (last edited Dec 20, 2018 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Jr. | 995 comments What i found confusing was (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I really liked his thoughts about poverty and solutions for it. Especially his idea about (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Yes, paris was definitely more colorful!
He moved back because B. found the job (looking after the imbecile) for him. But when he arrived it turned out the family had unexpectedly taken a holiday a..."

Oh okay,, thanks. Must have missed those.

Yeah the money talk was confusing but I just glazed over them ;p

I am running out of Orwell's non fiction works to read. As much as I love Animal Farm and 1984 the nonfiction are more endearing to me. How about you?

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I've only read animal farm by him before, and i definitely enjoyed down and out more than that one. I was planning to read 1984 this year, but had to drop out of the buddy read last minute.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I've only read animal farm by him before, and i definitely enjoyed down and out more than that one. I was planning to read 1984 this year, but had to drop out of the buddy read last minute."

Ooh you have got to read Homage to Catalonia and A Collection of Essays. It helps that his works are free in project gutenberg website.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Oh, i didn't know they were available for free! I'll have to check them out.