Read, Reading, Planning to Read and More discussion

Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
This topic is about Magic Triumphs
Magic Triumphs - Discussion - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 618 comments Here is the thread to chat all things Magic Triumphs.!

message 2: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Aug 27, 2018 10:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 618 comments Soooooo.. what are we all expecting. Roland to get his ar** kicked by Kate, Curran, Hugh and crew or a touchy/feeling intervention and happy families! I'm hoping... the first.

LoveYourShelf (LAB☺) | 750 comments Anyone else notice that Conlon's age keeps changing? Book starts out after prologue 13 months later,,,,then Kate says he's 18 months, then he's 13 months, then he's 18 months.

Am I crazy?

Kristi (foxtail_too) (foxtail_too) | 519 comments LAB☺ wrote: "Anyone else notice that Conlon's age keeps changing? Book starts out after prologue 13 months later,,,,then Kate says he's 18 months, then he's 13 months, then he's 18 months.

Am I crazy?"

No, Gordon commented and apologized for this on their blog (http://www.ilona-andrews.com/mea-culp...). There was an error in the upload. It will be corrected in about a week in the ebooks. Conlan is 13 months old.

Douglas Meeks (dougmeeks) | 1633 comments Mod
"Roland to get his ar** kicked by Kate, Curran, Hugh and crew or a touchy/feeling intervention and happy families!"

yes and no :) Really, they have given Roland some humanity over the last few books but don't forget he is ultimately evil but more in a "if I think it for the betterment of all then I am ok with doing it" type of evil. It is a conundrum that they solved as always in ways you and I (and most humans) never thought about LOL. I did not give this book 5 Stars because it had a copy of every epic battle I ever read where good wins over evil, there is a lot of grey area that has to be dealt with in this story because they now have somebody more evil than Roland they have to fight and if Kate dies then Roland dies (this makes my head hurt just thinking about it). The Andrews did not make this easy on themselves.

LoveYourShelf (LAB☺) | 750 comments Kristi (foxtail_too) wrote: "LAB☺ wrote: "Anyone else notice that Conlon's age keeps changing? Book starts out after prologue 13 months later,,,,then Kate says he's 18 months, then he's 13 months, then he's 18 months.

Am I cr..."

Thanks!

Typos happen. No biggie. But I thought it was me for a while there....

Lulu (lulululu) | 865 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Soooooo.. what are we all expecting. Roland to get his ar** kicked by Kate, Curran, Hugh and crew or a touchy/feeling intervention and happy families! I'm hoping... the first."

The first! :)

Kristi (foxtail_too) (foxtail_too) | 519 comments Douglas wrote: ""Roland to get his ar** kicked by Kate, Curran, Hugh and crew or a touchy/feeling intervention and happy families!"

yes and no :) Really, they have given Roland some humanity over the last few boo..."

I thought it was an elegant finish.

message 9: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 482 comments Douglas wrote: ""Roland to get his ar** kicked by Kate, Curran, Hugh and crew or a touchy/feeling intervention and happy families!"

yes and no :) Really, they have given Roland some humanity over the last few boo..."

Seriously? I thought the final fight and solution was fabulous. I really thought it lived up to all expectations

message 10: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 482 comments My thoughts,

I want to see Christopher and Barnabas get married
Derrick is gonna be pissed Julie is gone
I want a *Erra and Julie on the buddy trip* book
I don't think Siaman is gonna stay dead, His instruction for being buried were too specific
I want more Yu Fong
I missed a mention of Ascanio during the big battle
Anyone think Ghastek and Rowena totally have a thing going on

Douglas Meeks (dougmeeks) | 1633 comments Mod
Obviously, my thoughts were not clear :)

The ending WAS amazing, the point was that they did not follow the typical "good guys wins" type ending we have been used to in every epic fantasy book I ever read, since Roland still had to be dealt with (my observation that they had made him a bit more human in recent books) but killing him off just seemed out of the question when taken in as part of the big picture over the last few books so that ending was what I thought was exceptionally original.

I have always thought I could learn to write but I just don't have the imagination to dream stuff up like this hence they who can write do, those who can't review :)

If you read my review Siaman was who I was referring to and I tend to agree with Vinity that I can't believe that he is going to stay dead. (or maybe it is just wishful thinking). The fact that he started the series and would end with it does give me pause.

Jo Anne | 1 comments What I want to know is who is the boy (and his wife, brimming with magic) that Erra and Julie are talking about in the epilogue? Can it be Hugh?

message 13: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 482 comments Jo Anne wrote: "What I want to know is who is the boy (and his wife, brimming with magic) that Erra and Julie are talking about in the epilogue? Can it be Hugh?" I assume it's Hugh. My only issue is Hugh has spent time in Mishmar already. I'm not sure grandma would take to him.

message 14: by Paula (last edited Aug 29, 2018 02:02PM) (new) - added it

Paula (paula66) | 770 comments Vinity wrote: "My thoughts,

I want to see Christopher and Barnabas get married
Derrick is gonna be pissed Julie is gone
I want a *Erra and Julie on the buddy trip* book
I don't think Siaman is gonna stay dead, ..."

"Anyone think Ghastek and Rowena totally have a thing going on?" I totally think there is something going on.
"I want a *Erra and Julie on the buddy trip* book" I really believe that that will be the next book.

LoveYourShelf (LAB☺) | 750 comments Finished last night. I was very upset about Siaman. He didn't even get to go out in blaze of glory - they just found him and no one knew what happened. I get it not everyone gets to live. Honestly I felt bad about Adora but I was not as connected to her since she was a later character (and honestly I can't remember the details of character origination - I have to do a series reread). Her death was witnessed; we felt Kate's pain when she died. But Siaman got nothing. Just a mention afterwards. If he had died saving or protecting someone it would've been easier to accept; but not even that. I hope he does come back, but I for some reason doubt it.

LoveYourShelf (LAB☺) | 750 comments Other random thoughts:

I LOVED the scene when Kate calls Ghastek and the guy freaks out when he realizes who is on the phone but he didn't put her on hold properly. "What do i do?!" ...you could transfer me to Ghastek......" Click.

Also loved when they stopped at the Sunshine Realty office. "Can we? Can we, please?" "The whole body or just the head?" "The head, its freakier....."

Definitely think something is going on between Ghastek and Rowena.

We really didn't see Jim at all......

Thought Dali was kinda bitchy. Or is that just beast lord's mate stress and the baby thing getting to her?

When Curran's wings came out and Kate was like "That's it. I'm done."

Loved it when Kate kicked all the assassin's asses at once, and then later when Razer died, it was kinda gross but still funny at the same time.....

I wonder since Roland is gone, what is going to happen in Hugh's next book with Landon....although now that I think about it, from what I understand from the ending anyone with a blood tie can visit Roland. So maybe Landon will still visit him cuz I imagine there is some bond there.

I realize this was a "Kate" book but no one noticed any of Elara's powers during the battle? Kate knows she's something else already.

I thought the book tied things off well, and we got to see most everyone. Yes Ascanio was only talked about and not seen, but his future situation was resolved.

I was mad at Julie not talking to Kate until I read the epilogue and see that she is worried Kate will keep blaming herself, etc. I still think its wrong that she just left like that. If she wanted to go, they wouldn't have stopped her. I hope Derek follows them. I don't see who else could be the boy mentioned in the epilogue could be besides High. His wife is brimming with magic, and since both him and Kate referred to each other as siblings, then Kate's grandmother would be his grandmother too and that's what Julie mentioned I believe...she's "his" grandmother too or something like that. Maybe Julie and Erra (and Derek) will pop up in Hugh's books..... I'm thinking Jim and Dali will at some point since they are waiting 6 months for surgery. I also liked it when asked why he would help Dali, Hugh just said "because my wife asked me to"

Nancy | 1 comments Vinity wrote: "Jo Anne wrote: "What I want to know is who is the boy (and his wife, brimming with magic) that Erra and Julie are talking about in the epilogue? Can it be Hugh?" I assume it's Hugh. My only issue i..."

This is really bugging me. I mean, it seems like it has to be Hugh? But it doesn’t quite fit. Yet I can’t think of another character who it could be.

DemetraP | 966 comments I'm upset that Saiman died. It seemed really out of character for him to join a battle without getting something in return.

I think it's possible that Ghastek and Rowena have a romance, but it would have been nice to have confirmation.

I was irritated that Ascanio is quitting Cutting Edge to "get wealth" And didn't bother to talk to Kate about quitting, Raphael has to break him away. That's called, not being an adult.

All the Conlan scenes were hilarious. "Nutned!" (Naked)

I did not see that ending coming, really cool idea that Roland is exiled and Kate can still visit him.

I really, REALLY want Roman to get a book. I'm still upset Hugh gets 3 books and Roman gets zero. I've wanted Roman's book ever since Andrea's book where Roman is wearing Eeyore pajama pants.

I think some spin off novels featuring "gigs" at the Mercenary Guild would be cool.

I'd like to know if Christopher's wing will grow back so he can fly again. I hope so. Maybe Hugh can heal his wing?

Overall, I really enjoyed this ending to the series.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 618 comments I really thought it was a great wrap for the series. That Roland was contained... and Kate didn't have to kill her father. And they left it complete..but with plenty of material for hopefully more spin offs.

Totally agree Douglas, how imaginative some people are... Unfortunately not me either but I love to read what they come up with.

message 20: by Paula (last edited Aug 31, 2018 06:39PM) (new) - added it

Paula (paula66) | 770 comments I was really pleased with the way the story was finished up. Happy with most things and really hoping for all of everybody's wishes for new books.
"I'm upset that Saiman died. It seemed really out of character for him to join a battle without getting something in return."
I do think that Saiman could not overcome the torture he endured emotionally and this was his way out.

message 21: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 482 comments On Roland being contained, he can still cause trouble I think. Especially if he gave his blood to Nez. As the epilogue says, people who have had Hugh's blood can waltz in and out of his realm. So he could run things with Nez from the there.

message 22: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 482 comments DemetraP wrote: "I'm upset that Saiman died. It seemed really out of character for him to join a battle without getting something in return.

I think it's possible that Ghastek and Rowena have a romance, but it wou..."
I'm pretty sure Ilona has said there was going to be a Roman book not that long ago.

TINNGG | 720 comments Or maybe Saiman is like Loki (also frost giant apparently) and able to fake his own death. One can hope.

But knowing that he feared pain, and was tortured while in Roland's possession...

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2250 comments I don't think Saiman is really gone either. I was also wondering who the 'boy' was that Julie and Erra were talking about, and that was so cool that the two went off to have adventures. Except, leaving Derek like that? Would not be surprised if he catches up with them.

Loved Erra being pissed off at being resurrected.

Other than that, I'm still in shock over the last battle.

I would pay big bucks to see this made into a series by someone really talented with a big budget.

DemetraP | 966 comments Does anyone know why Hugh was trying to get his wife to eat chicken in Magic Triumphs? In Iron and Magic was she a vegetarian or something? I don't remember anything like that.

TINNGG | 720 comments Iiiii don't think that had a thing to do with chicken. LOL!

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2250 comments Okay, I'm dense, explain the chicken.

TINNGG | 720 comments You've never heard the phrase "choke the chicken"? Same principal only not with a hand.

At least, that's how I interpreted that conversation based on the lead-in with the putting it in her mouth and swallowing.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2250 comments Ohhhhhh - wow, I'm getting old. lol - that Hugh. He's just bad.

DemetraP | 966 comments Lol, I did not get that reference at all.

But I think it's actually eating chicken because he says she can do it over the course of a day and she has to eat the parts of a chicken that people normally eat.

Kristi (foxtail_too) (foxtail_too) | 519 comments I think we were supposed to think something other than poultry at the beginning, but, I'm with Demetra—it's actually food and we'll probably find out more about it in one of the two Hugh books that take place between Iron and Magic and MT.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2250 comments Huh, need books now.

TINNGG | 720 comments If only to solve this puzzle.

Victoria (zemfirka) | 54 comments Just finished and thought it was a clever ending as well. Agree on all points: Julie and Erra adventure book, Saiman's death, etc. It will really bother me now about the boy being discussed in the epilogue. Also didn't really care for either Jim/Dali and Andrea/Rafael in the last couple books - I know pack is first but still, they seemed a bit whiny.