Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Hodge Podge Folder > Audio Books - Where to start?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alana (new)

Alana | 20 comments I was reading a thread today about reading more than one book at once (good question Oren!) and many of you mentioned listening to audiobooks.

I tried to listen to an audiobook once as part of the Book Riot reading challenge, but it just didn't work for me - and it was a humorous memoir narrated by Billy Crystal! I didn't think that could go wrong, but alas.

As another new member of this group, I'm wondering where people recommend starting with SFF audiobooks. I have 2 young children and finding time to read is a challenge. Audiobooks could be a huge help for me to increase my reading - if only I can get into them.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/tips!

Alana

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena I've heard good things about the Harry Potter audiobooks.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 709 comments I've heard great things about the How To Train Your Dragon audiobooks, they're read by David Tennant.

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 27, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
I haven't read any children's books on audio, but the narrator for Michael J. Sullivan's books, Tim Gerard Reynolds, is my favourite audiobook narrator.

Depending on how young they are, they might not be ready for that yet, but it's a good bridge between YA and adult fantasy - no swearing or inappropriate things going on.

message 5: by Loriidae (last edited Aug 27, 2018 08:46PM) (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments I started listening to audiobooks because I didn't like the head banging music at the local gym. I began by listening to an old favourite that I wanted to reread. That way if I missed something due to inattention, it didn't really matter as I already knew the story.

Now, I listen while exercising, doing housework, hanging out/ folding washing, cooking, when hubby is watching something on tv I don't want to watch, knitting, gardening etc (Of course I no longer have small children to keep an eye on)

I always have two different books on the go, an audio and an ebook. A headset with an on/off button and preferrably volume up/down is a must.

message 6: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Aug 27, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I do my reading now almost exclusively on audiobook and there are just some narrators that are great in everything they read. I will second Jenna's recommendation for Tim Gerard Renolds. He also does Red Rising books. I think he's really good.

message 7: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments I agree with Loriidae, it's good to start with a favorite of yours, it's easier to get into the story if you already know what's going on and if you miss bits it's not too dramatic.

I mostly listen to audiobooks in my native language because it's easier to focus on, so I can't say much about the narrators. But Assassin's Apprentice and The Dragonbone Chair worked really good for me storywise. The pacing is rather slow which might help as well to get into the story.
I also really enjoyed listening to the Mistborn books, but I read the first ones instead of listening to them, so I'm not entirely sure how easy it is to get get into the story and understand the magic system and co while on audio.

message 8: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 995 comments I used to have the same problem, i just couldn't get into audiobooks! The first ones i really enjoyed were old favourites of mine, like other people have said already. That way i actually got to enjoy an audiobook for once, and since then I've been listening to them a lot. I tend to go for easy to understand books, like a lot of memoirs etc. I don't think I'd enjoy some high fantasy with a complicated magic system on audiobook, but i haven't tried yet 🤗

message 9: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments I will third the recommendation for Riyria.

I still don't listen to a lot of audio books but I really like Tim Gerard Reynolds, Kate Reading and Neil Gaiman.

The first book I fully listened to witout losing patience was Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.

Another great one I have discovered is the Blackthorn and Grim series by Juliet Marillier.

message 10: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3368 comments I discovered audio books two years ago and love them. Turns out I like picking them based on narrator. One of my firsts was Sabriel because it's narrated by Tim Curry. I'd never heard of Garth Nix nor did I have any idea what the book was about, I went into it blind. Curry is amazing, I love his voice, and turns out it was a really fun story. That series is considered YA so you might be able to let your kids listen with you depending on their ages (there are some potentially scary parts).

After some experimentation, turns out I tend to prefer sci fi on audio as well as memoirs narrated by the author. And I still have the habit of picking a book based on narrator when I've found one I really enjoy. That's how I ended up listening to The Fold - I loved Ray Porter's voice acting so much after the Bobiverse that I just went for something else he had narrated. Kind of like watching a movie for a specific actor. And The Fold ended up being an awesome story too :)

Now I almost always have two books going, one audio and one traditional. Here's my audio shelf - I put what I think of the narrator in all my audiobook reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Karishma wrote: "I will third the recommendation for Riyria.

I still don't listen to a lot of audio books but I really like Tim Gerard Reynolds, Kate Reading and Neil Gaiman.

The first book I fully listened to wi..."

Ooooh, yes, Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology on audio was great too.

message 12: by Shae (new)

Shae | 372 comments Audiobooks are a game changer on long distance road trips with children!

Our whole family loved listening to the 'Rangers Apprentice' series (written by John Flanagan) narrated by William Zappa. Zappa's accent is a pleasant mix of British theatre/Australian grandfatherly warmth, if that makes sense :-)

message 13: by Alice (new)

Alice | 36 comments I started to really get into audiobooks about a year ago, when I wanted to start reading more and more. And I realised how much precious reading time I was losing on my daily commute to and from work.
As I know that I have a very short attention span and that my mind wanders very easily I first started with books that I have read multiple times and obviously chose the Harry Potter series. Absolutely loved it! I would recommend to start with a book or world that you are already familiar with, so it is easier to get into the story.
Once you get into it you can never go back ! :)