Amnesty International BookClub discussion

The Break
This topic is about The Break
September/October 2018: "The Break" by Katherena Vermette

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amnesty (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:18PM) (new) - added it

Amnesty Bookclub | 225 comments Mod
Our guest reader this month is Angie Abdou, author of The Bone Cage and In Case I Go. Travel to Winnipeg in this award winning intergenerational family saga told from the point of view of several of the characters, which Abdou describes as "a call to action."

The discussion guide for The Break contains an introduction of the book from our guest reader, discussion questions from her and Amnesty International, as well as information and action items on fighting violence against Indigenous women in Canada. Find it here: http://www.amnestybookclub.ca/wp-cont...

Have you read "The Break"? Did you like it? What did you like best and what did you find challenging?

Angie Abdou asks, most of the story comes to us through female narrators (third person with the exception of Lorraine). The sole male point-of-view is Tommy Scott, the Métis police offer. How does his story parallel the story of the women narrators? How does racism—both explicit and implicit—affect his life and sense of self? What would the novel lose by not having this male point of view?

There are more questions in the discussion guide to check out, and feel free to us any of them to discuss here!

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Dolan | 6 comments I guess I'm way behind; I am still reading SCARBOROUGH.

message 3: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Martin wrote: "I guess I'm way behind; I am still reading SCARBOROUGH."
Hello Martin,

don't worry! It's great that you're reading the titles that have been selected. Let us know what you think when you can!

Laura (bookwomanmf) | 5 comments I have read THE BREAK and I am looking forward to reading again as part of this group. This novel has haunted me - the violence, the strength (and weakness) of the women, family, both humanity and lack of...

message 5: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Laura wrote: "I have read THE BREAK and I am looking forward to reading again as part of this group. This novel has haunted me - the violence, the strength (and weakness) of the women, family, both humanity and ..."

We look forward to hearing from you!

message 6: by Amnesty (new) - added it

"The Break" is a dark book, it may even be difficult to say that you enjoyed it, even if you loved it. What did "The Break" teach you about the root causes of violence against Indigenous women, girls, and two-spirit people in Canada?

message 7: by Amnesty (new) - added it

Hello everyone,

in case you didn't catch it, Katherena Vermette was interviewed on Q this week, listen to the interview here or download the Q podcast:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/katherena-...

She has a new Sci-fi graphic novel out for teens!