Play Book Tag discussion

The Wright Brothers
This topic is about The Wright Brothers
Archive: Other Books > The Wright Brothers by David McCullough - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Aug 27, 2018 07:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy D | 4645 comments The Wright Brothers by David McCullough - 5 stars

Non-fiction about the lives of the Wright brothers, with a good portion of the book focused on invention of the airplane, test flights, and public exhibitions. These two accomplished men never attended college but were well-educated through reading, experimenting, and hands-on tinkering with bicycles, printing presses, and other machinery. Wilbur was brilliant, calculating the physical properties of air current rushing through a propeller to drive a plane forward based on observations of birds and the screws of a ship. Orville excelled at mechanical ability and entrepreneurship. They were two men with dreams and determination.

Where this this biography differs from others is that it includes not only Wilbur and Orville, but the immediate family members, including sister Katharine, a teacher, and father Milton, a clergyman. McCullough did an excellent job of showing the character of the Wright family members through including relevant passages from their numerous letters. Their personalities were at the forefront. Smart, courageous, respectful, they were men of integrity who took great pride in their work. They were down to earth, driven, and possessed a keen desire to protect their place in history. Unfortunately, it meant they had lots copyright infringement lawsuits to address. I found it both inspirational and informative. The audio book was competently read by the author and kept me entertained throughout an 8 hour driving trip. Recommended to those interested in inventors or aviation history.

Link to my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments David McCullough is a very important writer in our time. The thoroughness with which he captures history is so important. Thanks for sharing this review.

Joy D | 4645 comments Agreed. I have read other books of his, but this one is my favorite so far.

Hayjay315 | 254 comments McCullough has long been a favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to getting to this one for a few of the reading challenges I'm doing this year.

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I am probably going to read this one soon. So glad to see the 5 stars!