One Word After Another Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > Nominate a Book for October!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments As this group is just getting started and most if not all of us are in the middle of reading something already, we will begin by choosing a book to read for October.

Feel free to discuss the book you are currently reading in the Book of the Month discussion. If you want to read along with me, I am currently reading Origin by Dan Brown.

So here are the rules for nominating a book:

1.) You cannot nominate a book that you wrote yourself. (Don't worry authors, we ❤ you and there are other ways to get nominated)
2.) Books must be available in print and ebook formats
3.) I will pick several of the nominations (10 max) to vote on and the winner of the poll will be the book of the month.
4.) I will retain veto power over which books are chosen to be voted on. I will strive to pick a variety of books, but will tend to lean toward indie published books and books that look interesting to me. I may suggest a book that is a new release by a fellow indie author, but only other members can nominate a book.
5.) Follow the template for nominations below.

Here is the template:
Title:
Author:
Genre:
Purchase Link(s):
Why you want to read it:

message 2: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments This is mostly a test message to make sure people can respond here. :)

Also, I wanted to ask if there's a deadline for nominating books for a particular month? I don't think I've seen you mention that anywhere.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I haven't come up with one yet. I'm thinking that the last week of the month we will vote on the next book, and have the poll end on the Friday before the end of the month. That way everyone has a weekend and maybe a few more days to pick up the book before the next month starts.

message 4: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Sefton Hello - I'm reading Circe at the moment. Have been on it for quite a while because I have been away and hectic over these last couple of months, but usually I'm quite a fast reader (only before bed though, not any other time!)

I buy ebooks and don't spend much on them because I buy so many. The Amazon daily deals are my go-to source. I read classics and best-sellers, my taste is broad but only quality sci-fi/fantasy.

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments A.J. wrote: "Hello - I'm reading Circe at the moment. Have been on it for quite a while because I have been away and hectic over these last couple of months, but usually I'm quite a fast reader (only before bed..."

AJ - Welcome! If you want to talk about Circe feel free to post in the book discussion folder. Did you have anything you want to nominate for the October book of the month? That is what this topic is for. :)

message 6: by Cory (new)

Cory (mscorabelle) | 2 comments Title: The Murder at Sissingham House
Author: Clara Benson
Genre: Mystery (Golden Age Detective)
Purchase Link(s):goo.gl/EDwG1r
Why you want to read it: This is the first of a series of mystery books by the author. Since it is almost October a good murder mystery appeals to me. Reading the description of the book made me think of the movie Clue. The book has a mix of good and meh reviews which I find usually means it is worth the read. The book is currently free but has a list price of $1.99. There is also a paperback version that can be bought. Below is the description from the author's website:

"On his return from South Africa, Charles Knox is invited to spend the weekend at the country home of Sir Neville Strickland, whose beautiful wife Rosamund was once Knox's fiancee. But in the dead of night Sir Neville is murdered. Who did it? As suspicion falls on each of the house guests in turn, Knox finds himself faced with deception and betrayal on all sides, and only the enigmatic Angela Marchmont seems to offer a solution to the mystery. This 1920s whodunit will delight all fans of traditional country house murder stories. "

message 7: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Sefton Brian wrote: "A.J. wrote: "Hello - I'm reading Circe at the moment. Have been on it for quite a while because I have been away and hectic over these last couple of months, but usually I'm quite a fast reader (on..."
Ah, sorry, didn't see that one!

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Nice find Cory! I snagged an ebook copy in case we pick that one :)

message 9: by Chad (new)

Chad Malone | 4 comments Title: Isle of Swords

Author:Wayne Thomas Batson

Genre:Adventure published in 2008

Purchase Link(s):https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Pirate-... (I guess that is correct?)

Why you want to read it:
Looks like it would be an interesting book also not sure if this is an indie author or not; I just picked a book, plus who doesn't love a good pirate story? Should be free on kindle or $1.99

Here is a tidbit from Wikipedia about the book: It tells of sailors, pirates, and a mysterious group of monks all working to get a great treasure, the treasure of Constantine.

Information for everybody: just skimming through the book the chapters are really short for a 343 page book 50 chapters

message 10: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments Title: Only Ever Yours
Author: Louise O'Neill
Genre: YA Dystopian Fantasy
Purchase Link(s): https://www.amazon.com/Only-Ever-Your...

Why you want to read it:

I think it would spark a lot of interesting discussions in this group about gender, prejudice, consumerism, and how society shapes the way everyone thinks about the world.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Chad: That looks interesting! The books we read don't have to be indie author books, but the majority of the options we vote for will probably be indie. It all depends on what people nominate though. I am going to narrow it down to basically eliminate anything that I know I won't read because I want to participate in the discussions, but everyone in the club gets to nominate and vote on the books. I'm keeping my hands out of that.

Lydia: Sounds interesting! I'm a sucker for dystopia fiction ❤

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments I will gladly follow whatever the groups chooses. No opinion from me right now.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Also, in case anyone is curious, you can nominate more than one book. Just make a separate comment for each one.

If someone else already nominated a book you want to read then you can second it and add on why you want to read it too. This will help me with narrowing down books once we have more members/nominations.

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Last day to nominate books will be 9/21. Voting will begin 9/22 and end on 9/25. Everyone ready to get this started?

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle

message 17: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments Genre: autobiography
Why: lots of recovery/psychology/therapy/family systems themes in this book

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Cosme | 1 comments I am starting The Power
Author: Naomi Alderman
Sci Fi maybe.
Millions of teenage girls receive a mysterious power that makes them able to defend themselves like never before. Well written, five good central characters, multiple settings. So far, so good.

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Don't forget your purchase links with your nominations. I want to make sure I am adding the right book to the group's bookshelf.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Nominations for October are closed!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.