Virgil Wander Virgil Wander discussion

Angela, Diane and Esil discuss

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane S ☔ Starting Sept. 1st.

Angela M (On a little break) There is no table of contents in my kindle edition. Shall we comment at approximately thirds ? Or can either of you see more pronounced breaks?

Diane S ☔ Thirds sounds good. We probably all have the same copies.

Esil Works for me!

Angela M (On a little break) I’ll probably start this tonight. Hope it’s a good one for us !

Esil I just finished the first third. It seems like it’s going to be a quick read. So far, I’m really enjoying it. I love the storytelling — Virgil’s perspective, the characters and the strong sense of place. The writing is also lovely and melancholy. I do feel like something ominous is going to be revealed about Alec. Somehow it reminds me a bit of Richard Ford’s Bascombe books.

I’ve never read any other books by this author. Have you?

Angela M (On a little break) I’m not quite there so will come back with comments later but love it so far.
I have read his other books . Peace Like a River is one of my favorite books . I also really liked his second book , So Brave , Young and Handsome but really loved his first.
I’ll be back later .

message 8: by Angela M (On a little break) (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela M (On a little break) Finished first third and I feel much the same as you , Lise . I was attracted to the writing from the beginning and love Virgil. I’m saddened by Rule’s story and his quest to learn more about Alec is touching. Some quirky characters and there is something sad about the place and the people. Felt sorry for Ann’s husband Jerry and the scene with him trying to get tools from Virgil. Loved Virgil’s way of giving him the tools.
And I love when the adjectives come back to him !
It’s been ages since I read Enger’s other books but I had a feeling this would be good too - so far it is.

message 9: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ The first fifteen percent I loved in the writing but was not yet in love with the book. I liked it just wasn't yet emotionally attached. Thatstarted changing, and it's so rare when I can exactly pinpoint when this book started meaning more to me. It was when Lanie Plume told Virgil, Carpe deem,and he said he would consider that after he took a nap. For some reason I found that so funny and could relate. The loneliness of some of these characters, young Galen , when Virgil said, There weren't many his age in Greenstone. The others all had Xboxes. Galen fished alone. Broke my heart. Love the humor, that is snuck in here and there. The quirky characters, so many interesting things going on under the surface.

The kite flying as a way to get people to talk. When we went to Puerto Rico years back, we walked on the grounds of this old fort. There were carts selling kites there, wide open space right next to water and there were hundreds flying kites there. So breathtaking and the people were having z blast. For some reason this reminds me of Mr. Floods last resort, the melancholy tone and the quirkiness I think.

Angela M (On a little break) Finished the second third and I should finish it today.

I love these quirky people and I’m worried about these boys who have lost fathers - Bjorn and Galen. I feel for Virgil who doesn’t feel like he’s home. I keep thinking there must be something he can’t remember about him and Nadine. Love the connections the characters are making with each other, although Leer seems like a creep. At this point I’m not sure if it’s more than just a good story. I’m still very much enjoying the writing and definitely am interested in what will happen to all of them. I wonder about what really happened to Alec, about who the man on the water that Virgil sees.

message 11: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I just finished the second third too. I like the way the author depicts how people come together when their community is so small and seems to be getting smaller. I too really like the quirky characters. The story has lost a bit of its edge at this point — it feels a bit aimless — but I’m expecting it to tighten up in the last third. My guess is that we will find out more about what happened to Alec and that it will tie back to what is to happen to Virgil, Nadine, Rune and Bjorn. I love how he peppers his writing with occasional beautiful observations and descriptions.

I also think I’ll be finishing today. Both our kids are just home from working at camp, but they seem more interested in sleeping and spending time with friends than in hanging out with us :)

Diane S ☔ Agree, Angela. Enjoying the characters, yep Leer is creepy but there's an emotional depth missing for me so far. Wonder is Leer has something to do with the missing Alec. I think Virgil may end up with Nadine. Won't finish till tomorrow. Need to finish up another. Do you both have Unsheltered?

Diane S ☔ Think we were typing at the same time, Lise, lol.

message 14: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I have unsheltered and would love to read it together!

Yes, we were definitely typing together! Lol

Diane S ☔ If Angela has it, would you both like to read it as another read this month? Maybe starting on Monday the ninth?

message 16: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil My preference would be to start on the weekend because I have more reading time then than during the week. But I could always start before you. Let’s see if Angela has it and is interested.

Angela M (On a little break) Sounds like our feelings are pretty similar.

I do have Unsheltered and would love to read it together. I’m over booked (lol) with Arcs - my own fault. Would you be willing to move the start date to a week later? If you two want to go ahead and start it on the 9th , I could just come in later with my comments.
I have to curb my requests! Good luck right !

message 18: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I’m in the same boat, Angela, but have given up on being too organized! How about starting on September 16th? It’s a Saturday

Angela M (On a little break) The 16th works for me . I try to get my reviews in by publication date but that’s not happening lately. I’m think I have weed out my lists and resign myself to the fact that I’m just not going to read them all .

Angela M (On a little break) Lise , the 16th is a Sunday. The 15th ?

message 21: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Yes, I did mean the Saturday. The 15th if that works for Diane.

message 22: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ I'm in the same boat or ARC over booked. The boat has actually sank. The fifteenth works for me. I actually have 25 paper ARCs to read, they keep sending them to me, as well as all the others.

Angela, did they send you the new Laird Hunt? So different from his never home, a horror story? Boy, he is writing all over the place.

Angela M (On a little break) Diane , I didn’t get the Laird Hunt book - glad since it’s horror!

Little Brown has only approved a couple of books for me over the last few years and declined quite a few. The funny thing is that I recently got a message from them on GR asking if I wanted to be Little Brown Ambassador and receive mails with book offers I could choose . Go figure! I just got a mail but did not request that one . Not my cup of tea . Are you going to read it ?

I guess we’re all in the same boat with Arcs!

message 24: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I just finished it. I loved the writing. I liked the characters and the feel of the story. I was surprised by the bomb plot twist. I’m still trying to decide what I think of it and whether it was a bit too melodramatic to fit in with the rest of the book. I loved the scene of Virgil and Nadine getting married, and Virgil’s comment about your community always being bigger than you think. And I loved the last line. I will write my review a little later today and will likely land on 4+ stars.

Angela M (On a little break) Even though while reading the middle section, I wasn’t sure how I felt , after the last section I felt that this quirky story was humorous and full of heart . I was surprised about the bomb, even though it was apparent that Jerry was losing it. I loved how everyone loved Rune and his kites and how Bjorn cares for wounds , both the ones on the outside and the inside and how the people of the town always seem to be there for each other. Loved the after hour parties. Even though some of it was predictable , it was one of those uplifting stories that I need once in a while. I thought the writing was superb and I had a crush on Virgil ! I’m ending up at 4 stars . Anxious to see your final thoughts.

Angela M (On a little break) I was composing my post while you posted yours, Lise! I thought the bomb brought the story to another level. While I connected with the losses of the town and the characters, they all seemed to be managing with each other’s support. Jerry was lost and I thought that was realistic.

I’ll write a review today sometime.

Diane S ☔ I think the bomb was meant to show that Adam was destructive for everyone. Remember the part where it was said that Jerry was the only one that thrived once Adam took him in hand. Well, actually he came out the worst.

Liked how magical the kites were, and loved Rune. He and zBjorn were my favorites. Also was glad Galen, who always seemed so much older than ten, finally got his sturgeon. I loved the quirkiness of this story, loved the failing town. Reminds me a little of Three Pines, though I know Angela doesn't read mysteries. Do you read Louise Penny, Lise?

Won't write my review until tomorrow but 4+ sounds about right.

Angela M (On a little break) Loved the kites , too , Diane and how they seemed to bring people together . The more I think about this story, it’s more than it appears on the surface . So much loss and sadness .

I think I’m going to go with you two and give it a 4+ , but won’t round up.

message 29: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I love Louise Penny, Diane. I get what you mean about Three Pines. Strong characters, with flaws and lots of baggage, but still charming.

Diane S ☔ Won't read yours until after I've written and posted mine tomorrow.

Angela M (On a little break) Looking forward to it , Diane .

Diane S ☔ Here's mine https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Now I'm going to read both of yours.

message 36: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. I’ve just finished Chapter 4, I love this book and need to talk to,someone about it. I wish I could call in sick to work tomorrow and just immerse myself in it. I love the writing.