Historical Romance Book Club discussion

An Earl Like You (The Wagers of Sin, #2)
This topic is about An Earl Like You
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR — An Earl Like You

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4104 comments Mod
When you gamble at love...

When Hugh Deveraux discovers his newly inherited earldom is bankrupt, he sets about rebuilding the family fortune—in the gaming hells of London. But the most daring wager he takes isn't at cards. A wealthy tradesman makes a tantalizing offer: marry the man's spinster daughter, and Hugh's debts will be paid and his fortune made. The only catch is that she must never know about their agreement.

You risk losing your heart...

Heiress Eliza Cross has given up hope of marriage until she meets the impossibly handsome Earl of Hastings, her father's new business partner. The earl is everything a gentleman should be, and is boldly attentive to her. It doesn't take long for Eliza to lose her heart and marry him.

But when Eliza discovers that there is more to the man she loves—and to her marriage—her trust is shattered. And it will take all of Hugh's power to prove that now his words of love are real.

Releases Aug. 28. Starting no sooner than that.

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

When do you all want start in on this?

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Can anyone join? I've been waiting for this one!

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes! You are certainly welcome.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Oh yay Joanna - I realised this morning that it is release day in Australia, and we hadn't organised anything. I have finally finished Devil Takes a Bride so I am ready when everyone else is.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 127 comments This sounds good. I’m in

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Oh yay Joanna - I realised this morning that it is release day in Australia, and we hadn't organised anything. I have finally finished Devil Takes a Bride so I am ready when everyone ..."

I know! It sort of snuck up on us. I was glad to be able to finish Devil before this release, though.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tammy wrote: "This sounds good. I’m in"

Welcome Tammy!

message 9: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2311 comments I read book 1 this month to be prepared. I have not pre-ordered, but I plan to read soon. I will probably start late.

Jultri | 408 comments Hi everone, count me in too as this has been on my TBR list.

message 11: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome Julia and Mariana!

Story_girl | 26 comments Hi! I'd like to join in :)

I just finished reading book 1. That was my first book by this author and wow! her writing is amazing. I read it (almost) in one sitting. It was so addictive. I now have really high expectations from this book :D

Alexandria Jane | 5 comments I'm joining in too!!

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Glad to have you join in Story Girl and Alexandria!

I am plan to start this evening, but I doubt I will get far.

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, I have read the read the first chapter and prologue. Drawn in already and don’t want to put it down.

I think we learned quite a bit about our hero, Hugh, in the prologue. Not only that he is dire straights financially, but how he will handle it while keeping up appearances. He’s been very much let down by his father, but he doesn’t want to shatter that image for his family.

Then, good insight into the heroine. I enjoyed the exchanges with her father. She seems to be able to rationalize her situation well, which is a little sad. (view spoiler)

Story_girl | 26 comments I have started reading it too. I've made good progress. The story has me hooked.

Yes I feel sorry for Hugh. He totally got blindsided by the dire financial situation. I'm finding it touching that he's going to such lengths to keep his family from knowing about their true situation. He's trying to protect them as well as their image with the ton

Story_girl | 26 comments I'm really liking how the author has portrayed Eliza's character. We only knew her as a meek, timid girl from book 1. But she's also a wonderful human being. It's sad that her self esteem has taken such a blow due the behaviour of others.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Hallelujah he is not a duke! ;)

message 19: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Starting tomorrow! So glad to see that everyone seems to be liking it! I love a Linden!

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am in two minds - on one hand I want to eke this out and make it last over several days, and on the other side, I just want to sit here and devour it.

Jultri | 408 comments Just started. I've got one question: Can entailed properties be mortgaged? I tried to look this up (because I sometimes get bogged down by details) and according to Wikipedia, it is technically possible but why would the banks agree, since ownership will always revert back to the next in line. Sorry, no opinion yet of the hero or the story.

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "Just started. I've got one question: Can entailed properties be mortgaged? I tried to look this up (because I sometimes get bogged down by details) and according to Wikipedia, it is technically pos..."

Great question! Not something that occurred to me. It seems like something I had read before. I didn't know, but I did find that Jane Austen wrote about it in Persuasion: https://austenauthors.net/the-19th-ce...

You are right, though, it does not sound like a sound business practice, but the aristocracy were able to get away with much more than the average citizen.

message 23: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2311 comments My library has the book. I put it on hold and decided to wait to borrow.

Jultri | 408 comments 8%. 1.5 years in London and no progress in pulling his family out of their financial strife, you’d think he’ll realise gambling is not the solution unless he learns to count cards. I’m liking the heroine and her relationship with her father.

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I am in two minds - on one hand I want to eke this out and make it last over several days, and on the other side, I just want to sit here and devour it."

I feel the same :)

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "8%. 1.5 years in London and no progress in pulling his family out of their financial strife, you’d think he’ll realise gambling is not the solution unless he learns to count cards. I’m liking the h..."

Yes, it’s a tough go. I think he’s making enough to get by, but it’s clearly not a lasting solution. I am not necessarily sold on him yet, but he is interesting.

I like the heroine too and her relationship with her father.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Eight - oh dear! Shaking my head at Hugh (view spoiler)

And
Love the description of Willy William—that’s our head groom—believes he’s half spaniel, half pointer, and that he was the result of an illicit liaison between some gentleman’s hunting dog and his lady’s lapdog.”

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Through Chapter 5:

Hugh and Eliza have met and spent some time together. Looking forward to how this will progress. (view spoiler)

I think why I like Linden so much is that she puts the proper groundwork to tell the story. So many authors start with action and fill it with backstory, and it can often feel like add-ons — we need to be told of this to understand why they did that. Here Linden puts the characters first and let’s us know them both before getting too far into the weeds of the story. I appreciate that.

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mariana wrote: "My library has the book. I put it on hold and decided to wait to borrow."

I hope it comes off hold soon!

message 30: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana | 2311 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Mariana wrote: "My library has the book. I put it on hold and decided to wait to borrow."

I hope it comes off hold soon!"

Me too, but I probably won't get started until after you finish.

message 31: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Eight - oh dear! Shaking my head at Hugh [spoilers removed]

And
Love the description of Willy William—that’s our head groom—believes he’s half spaniel, half pointer, and that he was the r..."

Re your spoiler: keeping up appearances is clearly a powerful motivator for Hugh. Not totally won over by him, but I do feel like we’re getting to know him.

Haha - great description for Willy.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter 16 (view spoiler)

Chapter 17 - There's hope for Hugh yet. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter 16 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 17 - There's hope for Hugh yet. [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 16 — yep, agreed. It’s how people are or at least can be.

Chapter 17:
You keep picking up points that I skip over it seems and I go back and reread. I can’t put this down though. I mean I need to get to bed, but I want to keep reading. There is hope for Hugh, but first his house of cards is going to crumble.

message 34: by Jultri (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jultri | 408 comments "If you’re going to buy an earl for your son-in-law, you’d best be prepared to pay the price for one", says our hero.

Not a penny to his name, but still with an enduring heightened sense of self-worth. Don't you love the aristocratic arrogance that good lineage breeds?! 😊

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Jultri wrote: ""If you’re going to buy an earl for your son-in-law, you’d best be prepared to pay the price for one.", says our hero.

Not a penny to his name, but still with an enduring heightened sense of self..."

Haha! I just read this part. I thought “Good for you.” He has to keep some cards. ☺️

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shannon wrote: "Jultri wrote: ""If you’re going to buy an earl for your son-in-law, you’d best be prepared to pay the price for one.", says our hero.

Not a penny to his name, but still with an enduring heightene..."

Haha. Yep! Especially when dealing with someone like Cross.

message 37: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

So, I stayed up late and woke early to keep reading. I am through chapter 28. More thoughts later.

Jultri | 408 comments At 38% and really frustrated by his refusal to be upfront about their dire situation with his mother and sisters to get them off their high horses.

message 39: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "At 38% and really frustrated by his refusal to be upfront about their dire situation with his mother and sisters to get them off their high horses."

I find that frustrating too, but I see where he's coming from and am enjoying his journey. In situations like these, I don't always need to approve of their decision but find it believable that they would make it. So, wanting to protect is deceased father's esteem in the eyes of his daughters and wife makes sense to me.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Jultri wrote: "At 38% and really frustrated by his refusal to be upfront about their dire situation with his mother and sisters to get them off their high horses."

I find that frustrating too, but..."

There is also the issue that there is no way the mother especially could keep up appearances, which would dash the chances of the girls receiving eligible offers. Also there would be more pressure from the creditors if they knew the true circumstances.

message 41: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Jultri wrote: "At 38% and really frustrated by his refusal to be upfront about their dire situation with his mother and sisters to get them off their high horses."

I f..."

Good point! Showing that their circumstances were reduced would be like a run on the banks — one creditor demands payment in full, the rest will follow.

message 42: by Leigh-Ayn (last edited Aug 30, 2018 11:26PM) (new) - added it

Leigh-Ayn | 7 comments I am 26% in and I just want to say TELL YOUR FAMILY! He is as bad as his father in letting them spend whatever they want on clothes, wedding stuff etc. Also, I am so sorry to say this, but I am bored. I have no idea why. Does it get more interesting?

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Almost halfway and I must say I am not thrilled with our hero. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Jultri (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jultri | 408 comments Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I am 26% in and I just want to say TELL YOUR FAMILY! He is as bad as his father in letting them spend whatever they want on clothes, wedding stuff etc. Also, I am so sorry to say this, but I am bor..."

Yes, I agree. His father got in trouble because he was affable and foolish and generous with money he didn't have. Well, Hugh is not much better. The author wrote that he spends his days unchanged from his previous habits ie. at his club, at Tattersall's etc so that people won't know that his finances have changed. Well, he could be a bit more constructive with his time by working on repaying his debts rather than in idle pursuits pretending all is hunky dory.

Jultri | 408 comments Shannon wrote: "Almost halfway and I must say I am not thrilled with our hero. [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I was a bit disgusted with his conduct (view spoiler). Bring on the grovelling, I say! Am at 58%.

message 46: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Almost halfway and I must say I am not thrilled with our hero. [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I was a bit disgusted with his conduct [spoilers removed]. Bring on the grovelling, I say! A..."

I was not thrilled by that either, but what I did find interesting is that (view spoiler)

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh-Ayn wrote: "I am 26% in and I just want to say TELL YOUR FAMILY! He is as bad as his father in letting them spend whatever they want on clothes, wedding stuff etc. Also, I am so sorry to say this, but I am bor..."

I am not sure if it will or not for you? I had trouble putting it down. I think the tension does continue to rise as more balls continue to be juggled and threatened to fall.

Jultri | 408 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Jultri wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Almost halfway and I must say I am not thrilled with our hero. [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I was a bit disgusted with his conduct [spoilers removed]. Bring on the grove..."

So, will there be satisfactory grovelling, Joanna?

Jultri | 408 comments Eliza is so sweet but also so naive. I want to shake her a bit. In fact, I want to shake them all, except for Willy who is already shaking things up quite well all on his own

Jultri | 408 comments Surely by now, Eliza would have realised (given her lack of success in her first Season) how snobbish and exclusive the aristocratic set tends to be. Why is she surprised and perplexed that people treat her with disdain and give her the cut direct?

« previous 1