Monroe Public Library Book Clubs discussion

Deep Down Dark: The Untold Stories of 33 Men Buried in a Chilean Mine, and the Miracle That Set Them Free
This topic is about Deep Down Dark
1 view
The 33

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura (cathedrals) | 77 comments Mod
We had a very interesting discussion that meandered from family and faith to isolation and risk-taking. We agreed that this title gave a deep and interesting look into a very Chilean and very male profession. We appreciated how the author attempted to depict each man as a whole person, which is difficult with so many. I made a chart for the whiteboard with each man's name and a few things to remember him by; I apologized to Jorge, whose signifier was "fungus."

For something different, a crime/mystery novel next month. See you there!

P.S. The movie ("The 33") did NOT do a very good job depicting each of the men, and the film is v inspirational and feel-good. I am sure Perri very much appreciated being portrayed by Antonio Banderas, and I personally always enjoy Lou Diamond Phillips (here portraying Don Lucho).

Kelly Jahn | 7 comments As the book began, I found myself reading the bits that were surprising or interesting to whoever was near me at the time! There was just so much background that I was unaware of with this "story"! Sorry that I'm not doing well at getting to the discussion group!

Yes, so much interesting detail. No worries, drop in whenever you are able!!