The Story of the Stone (Dream of Red Chamber) readalong #storyofstonealong discussion

General > Questions?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meonicorn (The Bookish Land) (meonicorn) | 44 comments Mod
Leave your questions about the book or the readalong and we can help each other out!

message 2: by Sanne (last edited Aug 27, 2018 10:37PM) (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) Does anyone have a recommendation of what translation / edition in English is best? Do we need to look out for versions in which parts are edited out, or do all translations usually have the unabridged version?

Edit: I just found a 1978-1980 edition in my local library's catalogue:
Translated by Yang Xianyi and Gladys Yang and published by Foreign Lanuage Press in Peking. The title is a bit different though (A Dream of Red Mansions), so maybe the translation is very different from other versions?

message 3: by Meonicorn (The Bookish Land) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Sanne wrote: "Does anyone have a recommendation of what translation / edition in English is best? Do we need to look out for versions in which parts are edited out, or do all translations usually have the unabri..."

I'm glad you found a copy of the book Sanne! I hoenstly don't know if the translation would be very different, but the book has two different titles in Chinese as well, so I guess maybe multiple titles in English make sense (?) 😂

But Xianyi and Gladys Yang are two very famous Chinese-English scholars and translators, you can find their bios here. Together they translated a lot of Chinese classics, I believe their translation is decent :D

message 4: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow I settled for the Penguin Black Spines edition, I couldn't find any Spanish translation at a reasonable price (not that I'm surprised though...Books in Spain (and in Spanish) are very expensive) and my library only has some abridged version, so in Penguin I trust.

message 5: by Jill (last edited Sep 19, 2018 10:21AM) (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 12 comments So this read along is 3 or 4 separate volumes, correct? After a month I finally received “The Story of Stone” from book depository and noticed it’s volumn I, and only 26 chapters.

I’m assuming I need to order the remaining 2-3 volumes.

Jill wrote: "So this read along is 3 or 4 separate volumes, correct? After a month I finally received “The Story of Stone” from book depository and noticed it’s volumn I, and only 26 chapters.

I’m assuming I n..."

Yes the first 80 chapter was in the first 3 volumes, I should say that more clearly, sorry for the inconvenience ( T﹏T )

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 12 comments Meonicorn (The Bookish Land) wrote: "Jill wrote: "So this read along is 3 or 4 separate volumes, correct? After a month I finally received “The Story of Stone” from book depository and noticed it’s volumn I, and only 26 chapters.

I’m..."

Oh no worries, I was just concerned I didn’t buy the correct edition! Best order the rest!

message 8: by Jill (last edited Sep 30, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 12 comments So how critical is it to get through the introduction? I just can’t follow it all makes me concerned I’m not going to be through through the actual story, it’s pretty dense

message 9: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow I don't know if it's important but as a rule I don't read introductions to classics because the ones I've read always contain spoilers.

message 10: by Foxed (new)

Foxed  Folios (foxedfolios) I’m with Beatrizmallow in that I usually skip intros as they’re always a crap shoot: ideally, they’d give some grounding/context without spoilers, but so often they make explicit reference to key plot points and are spoileriffic! I guess it’s a little different for works in translation as there are additional factors to consider (cultural context, etc) but my take is that the vast majority of books with an introduction didn’t have one when they were first published, so they’re not ‘necessary’ to a meaningful read of the text. But that’s not to say they aren’t helpful...sometimes.... ;-D

message 11: by Beatrizmallow (new)

Beatrizmallow I've come to consider introductions as afterwords. It just works better for me.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Miles (nicolemillo) | 1 comments I'm the same, FoxedFolios & Beatrizmallow. I tend to (sometimes) go back to the introduction of this kind of text at the end (though sometimes I just forget if I'm satisfied with my understanding...which I know is probably terrible but, alas, it's the truth). ^^;;;

I also skipped the introductions, and I agree with Beatrizmallow that they tend to have spoilers (and I often found the introductions to classics are not interesting enough to read? anyone with me on that? :P)

And I loved the idea of FoxedFolios! If it's not with the initial text, it's not necessary :D

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 12 comments Thanks everyone for your feedback about the introduction. It does make sense that if the original text didn’t have one, then we don’t need one now. We can always go back and look at it later.

I’m relieved because frankly I was going to dnf the thing!

message 15: by Foxed (last edited Nov 12, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

Foxed  Folios (foxedfolios) Hi Meonicorn
Just wondering if you will be creating a post(s) for chapters 29-42?
Thanks!
Ali

****EDIT*****

Okay -
please ignore the above question! I'm now visiting through the desktop interface and the posts DO exist - I just can't see them in the 'fantastic' Goodreads app...

Sorry for unnecessary / confusing request!

FoxedFolios wrote: "Hi Meonicorn
Just wondering if you will be creating a post(s) for chapters 29-42?
Thanks!
Ali

****EDIT*****

Okay - please ignore the above question! I'm now visiting through the desktop interf..."

Haha thanks for the question- that I realized those posts cannot be seen on the app!! Glad you found them!